1) The call is an option on ABC Corp. with a $3 premium and a $55 exercise.
2) The put is an option on ABC Corp. with a $1 premium and a $45 exercise.
What is the value of the hedge with a 20% probability of ABC E(v) at $40, a 60% E(v) at $50 (current price), and a 20% E(v) at $60?
50, the value is: cost of the spread ($1 x 100 share
put) + ($3 x 100 share call). So 100 + 300 = $400
cost (or -400) of the spread.
1) The $50 per share level has no gain or loss with a cost of -400, so at $50 per share the profit/loss is -$400.
2) At $60 per share, the put is worth zero since the price of the stock is more than the put's exercise price (45). The call is worth 60-55 or $500 for 100 shares with a cost of -400, or a net of $100, so at $60 per share the profit/loss is $100.
3) At $40 per share, the call won't be exercised because the ABC stock price is under the exercise price of the call ($55). The put is worth 45-40, or $500 with a cost of -400, so at $40 per share the profit/loss is $100.
Finally, sum the probabilities:
* -400 = -240
.2 * 100 = 20
.2 * 100 = 20
value of the hedge turned out to be -$200. What would
it be if there were a 40% chance of stability (no
gain or loss) and a 40% chance the put would be exercised
at an actual of 30? Knowing how these sensitivities
work, and the direction ups and downs take the end
result, is key to quick responses on many of the CFA
Learn how traders use put options in their trading strategies to remain profitable, even in a bear market. Everyday investors ...
Learn about one of the most common risk-management strategies options traders use, called spread hedging, to limit exposure ...
Learn what a covered call strategy is, how investors use it, and the risk of a covered call strategy and how it offers limited ...
On October 30, 2006, a Google executive officer purchased 2,541 shares of Google at $9 per share and sold these same shares ...
Learn how using an out-of-the-money time put spread can be used to hedge downside risk by reducing the amount of premium ...
Learn about option strategies used to hedge a long stock position in the telecommunications sector, including bear put spreads ...
An option contract giving the owner the right, but not the obligation, ...
The price at which the underlying security can be purchased (call ...
A two-dimensional graphical representation that displays the ...
A type of compound option in which the investor has the right ...
A cost effective strategy designed to limit the costs associated ...
The part of an option spread strategy that involves buying an ...