Filed Under: ,
Tickers in this Article: NYSE:BRK.A, NYSE:BRK.B, JPM, L, BK, JNJ, PG, BBBY
John Bogle wrote in a 2008 article that the turnover rate of stocks held in mutual funds in the 1960s was less than 20%. Today, it sits around 100%. This means that fund managers have gone from holding stocks for almost six years to less than one. It's virtually impossible these days to find funds adhering to the traditional tenets of money management. However, this isn't an article about mutual funds but rather a look at some of the holdings of the Davis New York Venture Fund (NYVTX). Its managers, Christopher Davis and Kenneth Feinberg, hang on to their stocks for an average of six years. They might be dinosaurs in today's frenetic trading, but they perform and that's all that matters. IN PICTURES: How To Make Your First $1 Million

The Best Ideas
Most fund managers put their best ideas up front. Davis is no exception with 32% of its assets invested in its top 10 holdings, leaving 68% for the remaining 84 stocks and two bonds in the portfolio. While it's tempting to discuss only those companies in the top 10, instead I'll highlight one stock for every five in the top 25. It still gives you some good buy-and-hold ideas for the future. None of them is very original, but given this fund's turnover rate you at least know the managers are committed to their holdings beyond tomorrow. That's a good thing. (Learn more about basics of mutual funds in our Mutual Funds Tutorial.)

Fairholme Ups Buffett
Bruce Berkowitz increased his holdings in both classes of Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK.A,BRK.B) stock in the fourth quarter. As if I needed another reason to recommend its stock. Fans of Buffett suggest its shares are undervalued by 30-40%. Given a good portion of its assets are in the insurance business, 2010 is likely going to be a better year and with that a higher share price. Next is a toss-up between wonder boy Jamie Dimon of J.P. Morgan Chase (NYSE:JPM) or the Tisch-controlled Loews Corporation (NYSE:L). Since I'm going with a bank for my next pick, Loews it is. Its fourth quarter was in-line with analyst expectations delivering $403 million in net profits, much better year-over-year from a $958 million loss. Look for them to sell or spin-off the hotel division in 2010.

Go Canada
The Olympics are in Vancouver this time around so I have to make a Canadian pick. Bank of New York Mellon (NYSE:BK) CEO Bob Kelly spent his early career in Toronto learning about banking. In late 2009, the top job at the Bank of America was his for the taking. He passed, opting to continue the job he started in 2006 after the merger between Mellon Financial and the Bank of New York. Investors are better off as a result.

Next, I'm torn between two Buffett holdings: Johnson and Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) and Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG). Berkshire-related companies own far more stock in P&G than J&J so I'll go with the maker of Head & Shoulders. Lastly, I should slip in a retailer so I'll go with Bed Bath & Beyond (Nasdaq:BBBY). Its third-quarter report was very strong with same-store sales up 7.3% year-over-year. Helping with the increase was the absence of Linens n' Things from the competitive landscape, leaving it with little real competition. As the economy improves, look for it to gain customers from the dollar stores boosting revenues even further.

Bottom Line
These stocks will make you money if you hang on to them as long as the managers do. The problem is that most investors won't, and that's a shame.

Use the Investopedia Stock Simulator to trade the stocks mentioned in this stock analysis, risk free!

comments powered by Disqus

Trading Center