FactSet (NYSE:FDS) sells software and data that helps financial professionals research financial markets and analyze individual securities. Its products are proving indispensable to existing customers, and the firm's recent second quarter results indicated that it continues to have no problem signing up new ones. The only thing to not like about the investment story is the valuation.

Investopedia Markets: Explore the best one-stop source for financial news, quotes and insights.

Second Quarter Recap
Revenues increased 12.2% to $199.4 million. United States revenue also advanced 12.2% and reached $136.4 million, or roughly 68% of the total top line. International accounted for the remaining 32% and also improved 12.2%. The total client count increased to 2,324 with 81% from the buy side and related firms including Federated Investors (NYSE:FII) and Legg Mason (NYSE:LM). The remaining 19% stemmed from the sell side and firms such as Jefferies (NYSE:JEF) and Citigroup (NYSE:C). FactSet boasted a client retention rate of 95%.

Total expenses rose 10.6% to lag sales growth and help push operating income up 16.1% to $67.6 million. Higher income tax expenses resulted in net income growth of only 3.3%. Earnings came in at $46.7 million, or $1.02 per diluted share. FactSet ended the quarter with no long-term debt and more than $200 million in cash, or approximately $4.35 per diluted share.

Outlook and Valuation
FactSet projects third quarter revenue growth between 9 and 11%, and earnings in a range of $1.14 and $1.16 for year-over-year growth between 12 and 14%. Analysts currently project nearly 12% full year sales growth, total sales of $811 million and earnings per share of $4.12.

Given the current projections for the full year, FactSet trades at a forward P/E of 21.

The Bottom Line
FactSet reported another impressive quarter of growth and has grown in the double digits for more than a decade now. The only problem with investing in the stock currently is its lofty valuation. With a hiccup in the aggressive earnings growth the market is expecting, the stock could get killed. As long as any weakness isn't attributed to a fundamental deterioration in FactSet's operations, this would represent a good entry point.

From an investment standpoint, at the current stock price level, there appears to be a significant amount of downside risk. FactSet has proven that clients find its software and financial market data just as indispensable as their Bloomberg terminals or similar product offerings from Thomson Reuters (NYSE:TRI), but this strong competitive position is fully reflected in the valuation.

Use the Investopedia Stock Simulator to trade the stocks mentioned in this stock analysis, risk free!

At the time of writing, Ryan C. Fuhrmann did not own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article

Related Articles
  1. Stock Analysis

    Net Neutrality: Pros and Cons

    The fight over net neutrality has become an amazing spectacle. But at its core, it's yet another skirmish in cable television's war to remain relevant.
  2. Personal Finance

    A Day in the Life of an Equity Research Analyst

    What does an equity research analyst do on an everyday basis?
  3. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged

    Find out about the PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged ETF, and learn detailed information about characteristics, suitability and recommendations of it.
  4. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: ProShares Large Cap Core Plus

    Learn information about the ProShares Large Cap Core Plus ETF, and explore detailed analysis of its characteristics, suitability and recommendations.
  5. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: iShares Core Growth Allocation

    Find out about the iShares Core Growth Allocation Fund, and learn detailed information about its characteristics, suitability and recommendations.
  6. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: iShares MSCI USA Minimum Volatility

    Learn about the iShares MSCI USA Minimum Volatility exchange-traded fund, which invests in low-volatility equities traded on the U.S. stock market.
  7. Stock Analysis

    Should You Follow Millionaires into This Sector?

    Millionaire investors—and those who follow them—should take another look at the current economic situation before making any more investment decisions.
  8. Professionals

    What to do During a Market Correction

    The market has corrected...now what? Here's what you should consider rather than panicking.
  9. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: Vanguard Mid-Cap Value

    Take an in-depth look at the Vanguard Mid-Cap Value ETF, one of the largest and most popular mid-cap funds in the U.S. equity space.
  10. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: Schwab US Broad Market

    Take an in-depth look at the Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF, an incredibly low-cost fund based on a wide selection of the U.S. equity market.
RELATED TERMS
  1. Equity

    The value of an asset less the value of all liabilities on that ...
  2. Hard-To-Sell Asset

    An asset that is extremely difficult to dispose of either due ...
  3. Sucker Yield

    When an investor has essentially risked all of his capital for ...
  4. PT (Perseroan Terbatas)

    An acronym for Perseroan Terbatas, which is Limited Liability ...
  5. Ltd. (Limited)

    An abbreviation of "limited," Ltd. is a suffix that ...
  6. BHD (Berhad)

    The suffix Bhd. is an abbreviation of a Malay word "berhad," ...
RELATED FAQS
  1. How do dividends affect retained earnings?

    When a company issues a cash dividend to its shareholders, the retained earnings listed on the balance sheet are reduced ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. What is the difference between called-up share capital and paid-up share capital?

    The difference between called-up share capital and paid-up share capital is investors have already paid in full for paid-up ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Why would a corporation issue convertible bonds?

    A convertible bond represents a hybrid security that has bond and equity features; this type of bond allows the conversion ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. How does additional paid in capital affect retained earnings?

    Both additional paid-in capital and retained earnings are entries under the shareholders' equity section of a company's balance ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. What types of capital are not considered share capital?

    The money a business uses to fund operations or growth is called capital, and there are a number of capital sources available. ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. What is the difference between issued share capital and subscribed share capital?

    The difference between subscribed share capital and issued share capital is the former relates to the amount of stock for ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

COMPANIES IN THIS ARTICLE
Trading Center
×

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!