Some of the most respected and followed investors tend to be of the value investing philosophy. For examples, look no further than legends like Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffet. However, there are some value investors that stay out of the spotlight. Seth Klarman is one of those under-the-radar names.
This graduate of Cornell University and Harvard Business School launched his private-investment partnership, The Baupost Group, in 1983 after finishing business school.
The Boston-based fund recently placed fifth among 10 of the largest hedge fund in America, with $25.0 billion under management. As of Dec. 31, 2011, funds managed by Seth Klarman were valued at $3.34 billion.
New Buys: TRGT
According to the most recent 13F SEC filing, as of Q4 of 2011, Baupost held 22 total positions.
Investment activity in the quarter, as summarized by Stockpickr.com, are:
Increases: NWS, ANV, AVEO, NG, IDIX
Decreases: BP, HPQ, NWSA, ALR, PDLI
Sold Out: BBEP
Despite a decrease, Klarman biggest holding is BP PLC, followed by ViaSat (VSAT), a technology company that specializes in communication related equipment.
1. BP Plc. (NYSE:BP): Provides fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, retail services, and petrochemicals products. 15.37% of portfolio. 17.24 million shares. Position decreased by 1.74 million shares, -12.7%
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Here are Klarman's current top holdings, updated by Stockpickr on March 8th, 2012:
2. ViaSat Inc. (Nasdaq:VSAT): Engages in the design, production, and marketing of satellite and other wireless communication, and networking systems for government and commercial customers. 14.52% of portfolio. 10.5 million shares. Position unchanged
3. Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. 14.48% of portfolio. 18.75 million shares. Position decreased by 2 million shares, -9.6%.
4. Theravance Inc. (Nasdaq:THRX): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule medicines for various therapeutic areas, including respiratory disease, bacterial infections, and central nervous system (CNS)/pain. 9.42% of portfolio. 14.23 million shares. Position unchanged
5. Microsoft Corporation (Nasdaq:MSFT): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. 9.34% of portfolio. 12 million shares. Position unchanged
6. News Corp. (Nasdaq:NWSA): Operates as a diversified media company worldwide. 8.04% of portfolio. 15.04 million shares. Position decreased by 6 million shares, -28.5%
7. News Corp (NYSE:NWS): A diversified global media company. 5.81% of portfolio. 10.66 million shares. Position increased by 6.38 million shares, +148.8%
8. Allied Nevada Gold Corp. (NYSE:ANV): Engages in the evaluation, acquisition, exploration, and advancement of gold exploration and development projects in the state of Nevada. 2.64% of portfolio. 4.01 million shares. Position increased by 512,750 shares, +14.7%
9. AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:AVEO): Engages in the discovery and development of cancer therapeutics. 2.62% of portfolio. 5.08 million shares. Position increased by 84,650 shares, +1.7%
10. Genworth Financial Inc. (NYSE:GNW): Provides insurance, wealth management, investment, and financial solutions in the United States and internationally. 1.96% of portfolio. 10 million shares. Position unchanged
Use the Investopedia Stock Simulator to trade the stocks mentioned in this stock analysis, risk free!
Disclosure: Kapitall's Rebecca Lipman does not own any of the shares mentioned above. Data soured from Stockpickr.