Over the last few years, issuers have been waging their own little war in the ETF industry: the battle of the ticker symbol. Some of the most popular andintriguingfunds are being caught on investors' radars simply because of their cleverly named ticker symbols. And with over 1,400 products to choose from the exchange-traded fund lineup, issuers continue to raise the bar when it comes to pumping out funds with the most eye-catching and amusing ticker symbols. Below we outline 46 of the most clever and rather amusing ETF ticker symbols available on the market:
1. AMPS Utilities Sector Bond Fund
2. ANGL Market Vectors Fallen Angel ETF
3. BARN Farming ETF
4. BLNG Pure Beta Precious Metals ETN
5. BOIL Ultra DJ-UBS Natural Gas
6. BUNT 3X German Bund Futures ETN
7. CAFE Pure Beta Coffee ETN
8. CANE Sugar Fund
9. CARZ NASDAQ Global Auto Index Fund
10. CORN Corn Fund
11. COW DJ-UBS Livestock Total Return Sub-Index ETN
12. CROP IQ Global Agribusiness Small Cap ETF
13. CURE Daily Healthcare Bull 3X Shares
14. CUT Timber ETF
15. DIG Ultra Oil & Gas
16. DIRT Pure Beta Agriculture ETN
17. DRGS Global Big Pharma ETN
18. DUST Daily Gold Miners Bear 3X Shares
19. EPS Earnings 500 Fund
20. EWW MSCI Mexico Index Fund
21. FAN ISE Global Wind Energy Index Fund
22. FOIL Pure Beta Aluminum ETN
23. FONE NASDAQ CEA Smartphone Index Fund
24. FRAK Market Vectors Unconventional Oil & Gas ETF
25. GIVE Global Echo ETF
26. GLTR Physical Precious Metal Basket Shares
27. GRWN Pure Beta Softs ETN
28. GURU Top Guru Holdings Index ETF
29. HEVY Pure Beta Industrial Metals ETN
30. JO Dow Jones-UBS Coffee ETN
31. KOLD UltraShort DJ-UBS Natural Gas
32. MONY Financials Sector Bond Fund
33. MOO Market Vectors Agribusinesss ETF
34. NIB Dow Jones-UBS Cocoa Total Return Sub-Index
35. NUGT Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shares
36. PBJ Dynamic Food & Beverage
37. PICK MSCI Global Select Metals & Mining Producers Fund
38. RING MSCI Global Gold Miners Fund
39. ROOF IQ US Real Estate Small Cap ETF
40. SICK Daily Healthcare Bear 3X Shares
41. SOIL Fertilizers/Potash ETF
42. TAN Solar ETF
43. VEGI MSCI Global Agriculture Producers Fund
44. VROM Auto ETF
45. WOOD S&P Global Timber & Forestry Index Fund
46. YANG Daily China Bear 3X Shares
Follow me on Twitter@DPylypczak
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
EconomicsFind out which countries produce the most oil in Latin America, and learn about some of the biggest oil companies operating in each country.
ProfessionalsThe popularity of ETFs among investors and advisors continues to grow. But are they a good fit for 401(k) plans?
Stock AnalysisWynn Resorts has experienced a rally recently. Will it remain a good bet?
Stock AnalysisThe bulls won for a bit in early October, but will bears have the last laugh?
Stock AnalysisTwitter is an enigma to many investors, but its story is pretty straightforward.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn why growth investors should consider investing in VWO's portfolio of emerging market stocks.
Stock AnalysisIf you're seeking modest appreciation, generous dividend payments and resiliency, consider these eight utility stocks.
Investing BasicsMunicipal bonds are a good addition to a diversified portfolio as long as you choose correctly based on population and local economic trends.
Stock AnalysisHere's why Phillips 66 will likely remain one of the world’s largest and most profitable companies for a long time to come.
Mutual Funds & ETFsDiscover detailed analysis of the top three mutual funds offering exposure to the emerging markets bonds, and learn about the suitability of these funds.
Mutual funds can invest in initial public offerings (IPOS). However, most mutual funds have bylaws that prevent them from ... Read Full Answer >>
When a company issues a cash dividend to its shareholders, the retained earnings listed on the balance sheet are reduced ... Read Full Answer >>
The difference between called-up share capital and paid-up share capital is investors have already paid in full for paid-up ... Read Full Answer >>
A convertible bond represents a hybrid security that has bond and equity features; this type of bond allows the conversion ... Read Full Answer >>
The rise of index trading may increase the overall vulnerability of the stock market due to increased correlations between ... Read Full Answer >>
If an investment fund has a high turnover ratio, it indicates it replaces most or all of its holdings over a one-year period. ... Read Full Answer >>