Over the last few years, issuers have been waging their own little war in the ETF industry: the battle of the ticker symbol. Some of the most popular andintriguingfunds are being caught on investors' radars simply because of their cleverly named ticker symbols. And with over 1,400 products to choose from the exchange-traded fund lineup, issuers continue to raise the bar when it comes to pumping out funds with the most eye-catching and amusing ticker symbols. Below we outline 46 of the most clever and rather amusing ETF ticker symbols available on the market:
1. AMPS Utilities Sector Bond Fund
2. ANGL Market Vectors Fallen Angel ETF
3. BARN Farming ETF
4. BLNG Pure Beta Precious Metals ETN
5. BOIL Ultra DJ-UBS Natural Gas
6. BUNT 3X German Bund Futures ETN
7. CAFE Pure Beta Coffee ETN
8. CANE Sugar Fund
9. CARZ NASDAQ Global Auto Index Fund
10. CORN Corn Fund
11. COW DJ-UBS Livestock Total Return Sub-Index ETN
12. CROP IQ Global Agribusiness Small Cap ETF
13. CURE Daily Healthcare Bull 3X Shares
14. CUT Timber ETF
15. DIG Ultra Oil & Gas
16. DIRT Pure Beta Agriculture ETN
17. DRGS Global Big Pharma ETN
18. DUST Daily Gold Miners Bear 3X Shares
19. EPS Earnings 500 Fund
20. EWW MSCI Mexico Index Fund
21. FAN ISE Global Wind Energy Index Fund
22. FOIL Pure Beta Aluminum ETN
23. FONE NASDAQ CEA Smartphone Index Fund
24. FRAK Market Vectors Unconventional Oil & Gas ETF
25. GIVE Global Echo ETF
26. GLTR Physical Precious Metal Basket Shares
27. GRWN Pure Beta Softs ETN
28. GURU Top Guru Holdings Index ETF
29. HEVY Pure Beta Industrial Metals ETN
30. JO Dow Jones-UBS Coffee ETN
31. KOLD UltraShort DJ-UBS Natural Gas
32. MONY Financials Sector Bond Fund
33. MOO Market Vectors Agribusinesss ETF
34. NIB Dow Jones-UBS Cocoa Total Return Sub-Index
35. NUGT Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shares
36. PBJ Dynamic Food & Beverage
37. PICK MSCI Global Select Metals & Mining Producers Fund
38. RING MSCI Global Gold Miners Fund
39. ROOF IQ US Real Estate Small Cap ETF
40. SICK Daily Healthcare Bear 3X Shares
41. SOIL Fertilizers/Potash ETF
42. TAN Solar ETF
43. VEGI MSCI Global Agriculture Producers Fund
44. VROM Auto ETF
45. WOOD S&P Global Timber & Forestry Index Fund
46. YANG Daily China Bear 3X Shares
Follow me on Twitter@DPylypczak
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
InvestingWhile stocks have rallied since the economic recovery in 2009, many active portfolio managers have struggled to deliver investor returns in excess.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
Stock AnalysisA summary of what Allstate Insurance sells and whom it sells it to including recent mergers and acquisitions that have helped boost its bottom line.
EconomicsWe share some insights on how the recent terrorist attacks in Paris could impact the economy and markets going forward.
Chart AdvisorCopper prices have been under pressure lately and based on these charts it doesn't seem that it will reverse any time soon.
Options & FuturesInvesting during an economic downturn simply means changing your focus. Discover the benefits of defensive stocks.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about the differences between Vanguard's mutual fund and ETF products, and discover which may be more appropriate for investors.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about the difference between using mutual funds versus ETFs for retirement, including which investment strategies and goals are best served by each.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about reinvesting ETF dividends, including the benefits and drawbacks of dividend reinvestment plans (DRIPs) and manual reinvestment.
Investing BasicsHeld onto a stock for too long? Selling at a loss is never ideal, but it is possible to minimize the damage. Here's how.
Mutual funds, when compared to other types of pooled investments such as hedge funds, have very strict regulations. In fact, ... Read Full Answer >>
Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) can generate capital gains that are transferred to shareholders, typically once a year, triggering ... Read Full Answer >>
A hedge fund is a type of investment vehicle and business structure that aggregates capital from multiple investors and invests ... Read Full Answer >>
While some Vanguard exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are available commission-free from third-party brokers, a large portion ... Read Full Answer >>
Vanguard completely waives any U.S. dollar minimum amounts to buy its exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and the minimum ETF investment ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual fund expense ratios cannot be negative. An expense ratio is the sum total of all fees charged by an asset management ... Read Full Answer >>