Active-Share Study

AAA

DEFINITION of 'Active-Share Study'

An academic study conducted by researchers from Yale in 2006. The active-share study examined the proportion of stock holdings in a mutual fund's composition that was different from the composition found in its benchmark. The greater the difference between the asset composition of the fund and its benchmark, the greater the active share.

According to the active-share study, there was a positive correlation between a fund's active-share value and the fund's performance against its benchmark.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Active-Share Study'

For example, a mutual fund with an active-share percentage of 75% indicates that 75% of its assets differed from its index, while the remaining 25% mirrored the index.

The study found that funds with a higher active-share value would tend to be more consistent in generating high returns against their benchmark indexes, which implies that more actively managed funds have more skilled managers.

RELATED TERMS
  1. Active Investing

    An investment strategy involving ongoing buying and selling actions ...
  2. Active Management

    The use of a human element, such as a single manager, co-managers ...
  3. Benchmark

    A standard against which the performance of a security, mutual ...
  4. Index Hugger

    A managed mutual fund that tends to perform much like a benchmark ...
  5. Mutual Fund

    An investment vehicle that is made up of a pool of funds collected ...
  6. Passive Management

    A style of management associated with mutual and exchange-traded ...
Related Articles
  1. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    How To Pick A Good Mutual Fund

    Learn how to evaluate mutual funds and find the right one for you.
  2. Active Trading

    Peter Lynch On Playing The Market

    Everyone can appreciate great advice from a professional. Read on to benefit from the vast experience of Peter Lynch.
  3. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    Your Mutual Fund: It's Riskier Than You Think

    Fund managers often take on more risk than they should, putting business ahead of fund holders' interests.
  4. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    Active Share Measures Active Management

    A 2006 study proves the effectiveness of a new way of sizing up your portfolio manager.
  5. Pimco has stabilized its Total Return fund, but its returns are still shaky and its sales load is still a fat one.
    Professionals

    A Look At Pimco's Total Return Fund Post-Gross

    Pimco has stabilized its Total Return fund, but its returns are still shaky and its sales load is still a fat one.
  6. 10 equity mutual funds bargains for any investor or financial advisor.
    Professionals

    10 Equity Mutual Fund Bargains

    10 equity mutual funds bargains for any investor or financial advisor.
  7. Chart Advisor

    A Total Stock Market ETF For Any Portfolio

    Utilizing index funds and ETFs, such as Vanguard's VTI, is one of the best ways for the average investor to track the broad markets and minimize fees.
  8. Trading Strategies

    What's the safest way to invest in high-yielding dividend stocks?

    Learn about some of the most important safety factors that you need to consider before you invest in high-yielding dividend stocks.
  9. Africa's economic growth and growing stability has gotten the attention of adventurous investors. What kind of ETF or mutual fund options are available?
    Mutual Funds & ETFs

    Destination Africa: These Funds Offer Easy Access

    Africa's economic growth and growing stability has gotten the attention of adventurous investors. What kind of ETF or mutual fund options are available?
  10. Retirement

    What is the minimum amount of money that I can invest in a mutual fund?

    Learn about investing in mutual funds even with a smaller initial investment; there are many funds available to investors with smaller purchase amounts.

You May Also Like

Hot Definitions
  1. Commodity

    1. A basic good used in commerce that is interchangeable with other commodities of the same type. Commodities are most often ...
  2. Deferred Revenue

    Advance payments or unearned revenue, recorded on the recipient's balance sheet as a liability, until the services have been ...
  3. Multinational Corporation - MNC

    A corporation that has its facilities and other assets in at least one country other than its home country. Such companies ...
  4. SWOT Analysis

    A tool that identifies the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of an organization. Specifically, SWOT is a basic, ...
  5. Simple Interest

    A quick method of calculating the interest charge on a loan. Simple interest is determined by multiplying the interest rate ...
  6. Special Administrative Region - SAR

    Unique geographical areas with a high degree of autonomy set up by the People's Republic of China. The Special Administrative ...
Trading Center