Actuarial Value

Definition of 'Actuarial Value'


The percentage of total average costs for covered benefits that will be paid by a health insurance plan. Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), the U.S. health reform enacted March 23, 2010, health plans available on the Health Insurance Marketplace are divided into four “metallic” tier levels – Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum – based on the actuarial values. Bronze plans, for example, pay on average 60% of the medical costs of covered benefits. Silver plans pay 70%, Gold plans pay 80% and Platinum plans pay 90%.

 

Investopedia explains 'Actuarial Value'




Actuarial values represent the average amount that a particular plan will pay toward covered expenses for all the insured people under that plan. By default, the value also represents the corresponding percentage that will be paid by the individual policy holders. For example, if a Bronze plan pays (on average) 60% of covered medical expenses, Bronze policy holders would be responsible for (on average) the remaining 40% of the expenses excluding premiums, which are not included as part of the calculation.

Health insurance plans, regardless of their actuarial value, have various deductible, copayment and coinsurance levels that affect the monthly premium and how (and even when) the individual will pay for medical care. Health plans can differ greatly even within the same actuarial level. For example, Bronze Plan A might offer a $5,500 deductible and 0% coinsurance for a monthly premium of $250, while Bronze Plan B offers a $2,700 deductible with 50% coinsurance for a monthly premium of $300. The person with Bronze Plan A will spend more money to reach the deductible, but after that he/she will pay nothing (the 0% coinsurance) for covered medical expenses. The individual with Bronze Plan B, on the other hand, will pay less to get to the point where coinsurance kicks in, but once it does, he/she will be responsible for half (50% coinsurance) of covered medical expenses.



comments powered by Disqus
Hot Definitions
  1. Family Limited Partnership - FLP

    A type of partnership designed to centralize family business or investment accounts. FLPs pool together a family's assets into one single family-owned business partnership that family members own shares of. FLPs are frequently used as an estate tax minimization strategy, as shares in the FLP can be transferred between generations, at lower taxation rates than would be applied to the partnership's holdings.
  2. Yield Burning

    The illegal practice of underwriters marking up the prices on bonds for the purpose of reducing the yield on the bond. This practice, referred to as "burning the yield," is done after the bond is placed in escrow for an investor who is awaiting repayment.
  3. Marginal Analysis

    An examination of the additional benefits of an activity compared to the additional costs of that activity. Companies use marginal analysis as a decision-making tool to help them maximize their profits. Individuals unconsciously use marginal analysis to make a host of everyday decisions. Marginal analysis is also widely used in microeconomics when analyzing how a complex system is affected by marginal manipulation of its comprising variables.
  4. Treasury Inflation Protected Securities - TIPS

    A treasury security that is indexed to inflation in order to protect investors from the negative effects of inflation. TIPS are considered an extremely low-risk investment since they are backed by the U.S. government and since their par value rises with inflation, as measured by the Consumer Price Index, while their interest rate remains fixed.
  5. Gilt-Edged Switching

    The selling and repurchasing of certain high-grade stocks or bonds to capture profits. Gilt-edged switching involves gilt-edged security, which can be high-grade stock or bond issued by a financially stable company such as the Blue Chip companies or by certain governments.
  6. Master Limited Partnership - MLP

    A type of limited partnership that is publicly traded. There are two types of partners in this type of partnership: The limited partner is the person or group that provides the capital to the MLP and receives periodic income distributions from the MLP's cash flow, whereas the general partner is the party responsible for managing the MLP's affairs and receives compensation that is linked to the performance of the venture.
Trading Center