DEFINITION of 'Business'
1. An organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial or professional activities. A business can be a for-profit entity, such as a publicly-traded corporation, or a non-profit organization engaged in business activities, such as an agricultural cooperative.
2. Any commercial, industrial or professional activity undertaken by an individual or a group.
3. A reference to a specific area or type of economic activity.
INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Business'
1. Businesses include everything from a small owner-operated company such as a family restaurant, to a multinational conglomerate such as General Electric.
2. To "do business" with another company, a business must engage in some kind of transaction or exchange of value with that company.
3. In this sense, the word "business" can be used to refer to a specific industry or activity, such as the "real estate business" or the "advertising business".
The fluctuations in economic activity that an economy experiences ...
The freeing up of resources for a country's economic development ...
Any activity that is engaged in for the primary purpose of making ...
A number of federal income tax credits available to businesses ...
A corporation that is made up of a number of different, seemingly ...
A legal entity that is separate and distinct from its owners. ...