Capital Appreciation

AAA

DEFINITION of 'Capital Appreciation'

A rise in the value of an asset based on a rise in market price. Essentially, the capital that was invested in the security has increased in value, and the capital appreciation portion of the investment includes all of the market value exceeding the original investment or cost basis. Capital appreciation is one of the two main sources of investment returns, with the other being dividend or interest income.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Capital Appreciation'

For example, say you purchase a share for $10, which pays a dividend of a $1 per share each year, and is now trading at $15 per share a year later. Your capital appreciation in the investment is $5, or 50%, as the price of the share has increased $5 over your purchase price or cost basis. Your interest income return is $1, or 10%, for a total return on the shares is $6 or 60%.

Capital appreciation is often a stated investment goal of many mutual funds. These funds look to find investments that will rise in value based on increased earnings or other fundamental metrics. Investments targeted for capital appreciation tend have more risk than assets chosen for capital preservation and income generation, such as government, municipal bonds, or dividend-paying stocks. Because of this, capital appreciation funds are considered appropriate for risk-tolerant investors.

RELATED TERMS
  1. Capital

    1) Financial assets or the financial value of assets, such as ...
  2. Recognized Gain

    When an investment or asset is sold for an amount that is greater ...
  3. Dividend

    1. A distribution of a portion of a company's earnings, decided ...
  4. Unrealized Gain

    A profit that exists on paper, resulting from any type of investment. ...
  5. Appreciation

    An increase in the value of an asset over time. The increase ...
  6. Capital Gain

    1. An increase in the value of a capital asset (investment or ...
Related Articles
  1. Investing Basics

    The Advantages Of Investing In Aggressive Companies

    Often the most attractive companies are also a little fierce - learn how to spot healthy corporate aggression.
  2. Investing Basics

    What Are A Stock's "Fundamentals"?

    The investing world loves to talk about fundamentals, but do you know what it means?
  3. Taxes

    Capital Gains Tax 101

    Find out how taxes are applied to your investment returns and how you can reduce your tax burden.
  4. Fundamental Analysis

    Why Dividends Matter

    Seven words that are music to investors' ears? "The dividend check is in the mail."
  5. Options & Futures

    Mutual Fund Style Drift Not Always A Bad Thing

    Style drift has a bad reputation, but it can be a sign that your fund is thriving.
  6. Investing

    Active Funds: Getting What You Are Paying For?

    Fund investing could have hidden costs that can potentially make a big impact on your final return, particularly over the long-term.
  7. Brokers

    OptionsXpress Vs. OptionsHouse: Which One To Pick?

    OptionsXpress and OptionsBroker -- each offers a price mix and set of services suitable for certain investors based on their trade approach and priorities.
  8. Investing Basics

    This Investment Strategy Could Be Your key To Success

    Goal-based investing seems like an obvious tactic. But many investors have only a vague idea what their goals are, much less how to achieve them.
  9. Economics

    Gary Gordon Positions Your Portfolio For 2015

    Seeking Alpha, the popular financial web portal, interviews Gary Gordon for its Positioning for 2015 series. Here is a transcript of that exchange.
  10. Professionals

    A Look At Pimco's Total Return Fund Post-Gross

    Pimco has stabilized its Total Return fund, but its returns are still shaky and its sales load is still a fat one.

You May Also Like

Hot Definitions
  1. Subsidy

    A benefit given by the government to groups or individuals usually in the form of a cash payment or tax reduction. The subsidy ...
  2. Sunk Cost

    A cost that has already been incurred and thus cannot be recovered. A sunk cost differs from other, future costs that a business ...
  3. Technical Skills

    1. The knowledge and abilities needed to accomplish mathematical, engineering, scientific or computer-related duties, as ...
  4. Prepaid Expense

    A type of asset that arises on a balance sheet as a result of business making payments for goods and services to be received ...
  5. Gordon Growth Model

    A model for determining the intrinsic value of a stock, based on a future series of dividends that grow at a constant rate. ...
  6. Cost Accounting

    A type of accounting process that aims to capture a company's costs of production by assessing the input costs of each step ...
Trading Center