DEFINITION of 'Lipstick Entrepreneurs'
Independent, self-employed businesswomen who sell makeup or other female-oriented products and services. Lipstick entrepreneurs are viewed as leaders of the "femterprise" movement. In periods of economic crises there is often a surge of female-owned start-up businesses or "female enterprises," due in large part to the perceived job security, income potential and flexibility to accommodate a busy family schedule.
INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Lipstick Entrepreneurs'
Mary Kay, Avon and Arbonne are three of the most well-known female-oriented businesses that target lipstick entrepreneurs. Avon U.K. has identified eight primary types of lipstick entrepreneurs:
1. The Meritocrat – a formerly successful career woman who has chosen self-employment.
2. The Rescuer – a woman who pursues self-employment as a way to provide for her family, often as a result of her husband's job or income loss.
3. The Horizontal Juggler – most often a middle-aged woman who begins her own business in addition to managing childcare duties.
4. The Double Hitter - a woman who is able to compress a full-time job into part-time hours and run her own business on the side.
5. The Domestecutive – most often a woman already caring for young children at home who begins a home-based business to provide additional income for her family without having to incur costs for full-time childcare.
6. The Passionista – a woman who chooses to turn a hobby into her full-time personal business.
7. The Fledgling – a young woman, typically still in college or recently graduated, who opts to launch her own business either full-time or part-time to earn income and pay off student debt.
8. The Freewheeler – a woman nearing, or in, retirement who chooses to start a business.
A type of entrepreneur who seeks to market or produce an invention ...
A person who is involved in a limited liability company but does ...
The school of business at the University of Colorado at Boulder. ...
The school of business at Wake Forest University. It has an enrollment ...
A self-employed taxpayer that controls his or her own employment ...
An independent contractor or sole proprietor who reports income ...