Medical Cost Ratio

DEFINITION of 'Medical Cost Ratio'

A comparison of a health insurance company's healthcare costs to its premium revenues. The medical cost ratio is one indicator of the insurer's financial health. Health insurance companies, like other types of insurers, are for-profit companies and must remain profitable to stay in business.

BREAKING DOWN 'Medical Cost Ratio'

For most major health insurance companies, a medical cost ratio of 85% or less is desirable. An 85% medical cost ratio means that a health insurer spends 85% of the premium dollars it receives on healthcare, leaving 15% for profit and non-medical costs such as administrative expenses, payroll, overhead and advertising.

RELATED TERMS
  1. Benefit Expense Ratio

    An operating metric used in the health insurance industry computed ...
  2. Commercial Health Insurance

    A type of health insurance that covers medical expenses and disability ...
  3. Health Insurance

    A type of insurance coverage that pays for medical and surgical ...
  4. Medical Identity Theft

    Stealing another person’s health insurance information so that ...
  5. Medical Underwriting

    The process of assessing the risk associated with providing health ...
  6. Blanket Medical Expense

    An insurance policy which provides coverage for all medical expenses ...
Related Articles
  1. Personal Finance

    Investing In Health Insurance Companies

    Health insurance companies work a little differently than most companies. Here's what you need to know as an investor.
  2. Personal Finance

    Why Health Insurance Premiums Will Rise in 2017

    To battle the costs and challenges of the Affordable Care Act, many health insurances are raising their premiums in 2017.
  3. Personal Finance

    Can I Get Life Insurance?

    Find out what you can do to get the coverage you need for the right price.
  4. Personal Finance

    What You Need To Know About Student Health Insurance

    Before heading off to college, read up on health insurance plans.
  5. Personal Finance

    7 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying Health Insurance

    Understand the need for health insurance and why some undervalue the need for coverage. Learn about the top seven mistakes to avoid when purchasing insurance.
  6. Personal Finance

    4 Ways to Find Good Health Insurance

    Follow these 4 steps to get the best coverage at the most affordable price.
  7. Personal Finance

    Bundle Your Insurance For Big Savings

    Bundling your insurance can save you money and time. Read on to see how get the most out of multiline insurance discounts.
  8. Personal Finance

    5 Alternatives to Traditional Health Insurance

    Discover five of the most popular alternatives to traditional health insurance plans, alternatives that are increasingly popular as health insurance costs rise.
  9. Personal Finance

    4 Reasons Why Waiting To Buy Life Insurance Is a Bad Idea

    Understand the benefits of applying for and securing life insurance coverage while you are young and healthy, and learn the cost of waiting to get coverage.
  10. Personal Finance

    Can Going to the Gym Lower My Insurance Premiums?

    Find out whether a gym membership and living a healthier lifestyle can lead to lower insurance premiums or other financial rewards.
RELATED FAQS
  1. What is the average return on total revenue for the insurance sector?

    Learn about the three main segments of the insurance industry, and find out what the average return on revenues is for the ... Read Answer >>
  2. How does the combined ratio measure the financial health of insurance companies?

    Learn about the combined ratio, what the combined ratio measures and how it is used to measure the financial health of insurance ... Read Answer >>
  3. What are some examples of industries that practice price discrimination?

    Understand the various types of insurance coverage offered in the insurance marketplace, and learn why each policy should ... Read Answer >>
  4. What is the usual profit margin for a company in the insurance sector?

    Learn what the average profit margin is within the insurance industry, and what factors can affect the profitability of an ... Read Answer >>
  5. What are examples of the largest companies in the insurance sector?

    Read about some of the largest and most influential companies in the insurance sector, a list that includes Berkshire Hathaway ... Read Answer >>
  6. In what ways does government regulation impact the insurance sector?

    See how government regulation of the insurance sector leads to higher prices, more risk and a system where the consumer has ... Read Answer >>
Trading Center