By Amy Fontinelle
Let's recap what we've covered in this tutorial:
- Banks provide security and convenience for managing your money and sometimes allow you to make money by earning interest. Convenience and fees are two of the most important things to consider when choosing a bank.
- Writing and depositing checks are perhaps the most fundamental ways to move money in and out of a checking account, but advancements in technology have added ATM and debit card transactions and ACH transfers to the mix.
- All banks have rules about how long it takes to access your deposits, how many debit card transactions you're allowed in a day, and how much cash you can withdraw from an ATM. Access to the balance in your checking account can also be limited by businesses that place holds on your funds.
- Debit cards provide easy access to the cash in your account, but can cause you to rack up fees if you're not careful.
- While debit cards encourage more responsible spending than credit cards, they do not offer the same protection or perks to consumers.
- Regularly balancing your checkbook or developing another method to stay on top of your account balance is essential to successfully managing your checking account and avoiding fees and bounced checks.
- If you have more money than you need to manage your day-to-day expenses, banks offer a variety of options for saving, including money market accounts, CDs, high-interest online savings accounts and basic savings accounts.
- To protect your money from electronic theft, identity theft, and other forms of fraud, it's important to implement basic precautions such as shredding account statements, having complex passwords and only doing online banking through secure internet connections.
Personal FinanceDebit card use has become more popular than ever, but not every consumer knows what they need to do to make sure they keep their debit card safe.
Personal FinanceWe'll look at six situations where a prepaid debit card might seem like a good idea, but it really isn't necessary.
Personal FinanceAs criminals are becoming more savvy, your money is becoming more vulnerable.
Personal FinanceIf you’re just getting started with managing your own bank account, these tips will show you how to do it right.
Personal FinanceTake advantage of the deals banks offer, and find the right account for your financial situation.
Personal FinanceThese service charges could nickel and dime you right out of your nest egg.
Personal FinanceThe convenience of debit cards makes them a popular method of payment, but here are some downsides to consider.
Personal FinanceWhat if you used your credit card as a bank account? Believe it or not, this strange strategy could actually work.
Small BusinessWhat you need to know to choose the best checking account for your small business – and where to look.