To get the most out of the J-Trader platform, it's important to understand all the features that are available by adjusting the settings.
For example, the Settings Screen allows the user to set up and customize the platform with his or her choice of fonts, colors, sounds and screen layout. Notable features also include a pre-trade fat finger loss prevention control and the ability to set up alerts and shortcut keys.
|Figure 19: Pulling up the Settings Screen.|
To access the Settings Screen, click on the settings button in the J-Trader Trading Client.
|Figure 20: The Display Tab of the Settings Screen.|
The Display Tab allows configuration of colors used for different kinds of price and indicating price changes, the choice of displaying fractions versus decimals, the default font to be used for all screens and which screens you want to appear in front of others.
To configure colors,highlight the row whose color you want to change. A checked box next to a row indicates that the current color is the default.
Select the new color, using either the color palette or the color-selection fields. To restore the default color scheme, click Reset colors to default.
The appearance of prices themselves can be also configured under the Display Tab:
- Fractional Prices- Switches price displays between fractional and decimal.
- Lowest Common Denominator- Displays fractions in their lowest common denominator.
- Show Settlement Prices On Closing Column - Shows settlement prices rather than closing prices in the Hot Quotes' Closing column.
- More space between pull and action buttons - This increases the space between the rows of buttons at the bottom of the various trading screens, reducing the risk of clicking the wrong button by mistake.
- Display Reflector Button - This setting allows you to display the Reflector button in all trading screens.
- Floating Reflector - This will allow for one Patsystems Reflector Screen, containing the last selected contract, rather than a separate Reflector for each selected contract.
- Disable DOM - This setting blocks trading in the DOM, although prices can still be viewed.
- Action On Mouse Down - This setting allows for actions to be performed the moment you click the mouse button, rather than on release of the button, giving the user a microsecond's edge in speed.
- Always Blank Lots - Clears any previously entered lots each time you submit an order, preventing errors in the number submitted.
The Always On Top section of the Display Tab allows you to choose the screens, for example the Reflector, you want always to appear in front of others for fast access.
|Figure 21: The General Tab of the Settings Screen.|
The General Tab allows configuration of alerts, a checkbox for forcing messages to appear in front of other screens and shortcut keys.
The Alerts section showscheckboxes for turning on and off pop-up notification messages and sounds. If messages and alerts are switched off here, they are still viewable in the Messages window.
- Display Alert Popup - This setting enables the display of a pop-up message for every alert.
- Display Fill Alert Popup - Gives an alert when an order in your trader account group is filled.
- Display RFQ Alert Popup - Gives an alert when you receive a request-for-quote message from an exchange.
- Display Strategy Alert Popup - Gives an alert when a strategy create request has succeeded or failed.
- Display Stop Order Execute Alerts - Gives an alert when a stop order will be executed immediately in market.
- Audible Alerts - Activates all the sounds set in the Sounds tab.
- Closing windows - Displays a Confirm/Cancel dialog whenever you try to close a window.
Shortcut Keys allow you to assign keyboard shortcuts. Select the row containing the shortcut key to which you want to assign a function and select the function you want.
The Trading Tab allows you to configure trades and how you enter them.
|Figure 22: The Trading Tab.|
Trade Confirmations allows you to cancel or amend orders before they go to the exchange.
To set up trade confirmation select Text Style if you want a trade summary with Yes/No buttons only, or leave it unchecked if you prefer to have a trade ticket.
Failure Notificationshows the amount of time an order will remain at the given state before a warning is brought up.
Fat Finger Limits allow you to set themaximum number of lots tradable. A value of 0 disables Fat Finger warnings. TheLow setting represents your normal limit. For example, if low is set to 25, J-Trader will warn you for 26 lots or more, but you are still able to make the trade.
The Medium setting is designed for exceptional circumstances, for example trading an unusually high lot size in order to reverse a large position. For example, if the Medium setting is set to 50, a 51 lot trade will first trigger the Low then the Medium warning.
The High setting reflects the maximum lot size. This setting prevents the user from ever exceeding this number.
These limits are especially important in preventing errors when confirmations are not being used.
TheBuy/Sell Tickets Defaults area allows you to set the tabbing order for the Lots, Price and Account fields in buy/sell tickets, with 1 being the first field, 2 being the second field and 3 being the third field in the ticket.
In the Price frame, the default price type for buy/sell tickets can be set.
TheClicking on Size Action setting allows you to choose which action you want performed when you click on the size volume of a bid or an offer, in the Hot Quotes and Matrix screens:
- Buy/Sell LOTS qty at MARKET - this setting uses the volume chosen in the Lots field, and buy/sells at the market price displayed
- Buy/Sell LOTS qty at LIMIT - this setting uses the volume chosen in the Lots field, and use the current bid/offer as the limit price.
- Buy/Sell entire best at MARKET - this setting uses the entire volume displayed in the grid, rather the volume set in the Lots field, and buy/sells at the market price displayed.
- Buy/Sell entire best at LIMIT - this setting uses the entire volume displayed in the grid, rather the volume set in the Lots field, and uses the current bid/offer as the limit price.
- Amending Ticket Defaults - SelectAmend Working Lots in order to amend partially filled orders using a trade ticket.
The Sounds tab of the Settings dialog looks like this:
|Figure 23: The Sounds Tab.|
Sounds can be set up to alert the user of the following events:
- Account Limit Breached - this alert warns thata limit on your currently selected account has been breached; you are trading too many instruments, or you are exceeding your set risk exposure.
- User Fill Received - this alert signals that a fill for one of your own orders has been received from the exchange.
- TAG Fill Received - this alert signals that a fill for one of your trader account group's orders has been received from the exchange.
- Order/Amend/Cancel Received - this alert signals that one of your previously submitted orders has been amended or canceled.
- Order/Amend/Cancel Rejected - this alert signals that the exchange has rejected an order amendment or cancellation.
- Fat Finger Lower Limit Warning - this alert warns that the Fat Finger Low limit, set in the Trading tab, has been exceeded.
- Fat Finger Upper Limit Error - this alert warns that the Fat Finger Upper limit, set in the Trading tab, has been exceeded.
- Price Alert - this alert signals that a low price or high price has been triggered.
- Host Connection Lost - this alert warns that the Host Server has been disconnected.
- Price Connection Lost - this alert warns that the Price Server has been disconnected.
|Figure 24: The Contract Tab.|
The Contract Tab allows the trader to assign properties to the contracts traded, such as Commission, Traded Lots and Price Alerts.
Price Alerts allow the entry of the low price and high price at which message pop-ups are triggered.
|Figure 25: MEL Template Tab.|
The MEL Template Taballows the creation of multi-legged strategies that are not supported by exchanges.
The Reflector Tab
|Figure 26: The Reflector Tab.|
The Reflector tab allows the user to adjust the following settings:
- The Default Window Size allows you to adjust the Size Default size (in pixels) of the Patsystems Reflector screen.
- The Split Bar allows you to adjust the width of the horizontal bar separating best bid and best offer prices.
- The Inside Market Indication Flash setting will enable flashing on the split bar, if an inside market is present and the data in the inside market changes.
- The Inside Market Popup governs the number of inside market prices to display in the Inside Market pop-up. Select Hide Inside Market to conceal this information.
- In the General area the following settings are available.
- The Hold Orders setting allows you to holds an order on the current rung on the price ladder when you place your cursor over it. This prevents the need to follow the order up and down the price ladder as prices move higher and lower.
- The Hold Prices setting works the same as the Hold Orders, but for prices rather than order.
- The Indicate Orders outside display makes the price-ladder scroll button change color if there is an order beyond the rungs on the price ladder display.
The Enable Protection-Order Fields setting allows you to see these default settings from within each Reflector screen, by clicking in the bottom-right corner.
Setting Protection Orders in the Reflector Tab
The Enable Flatten (Order Type) setting Enables Pull & Flatten, a button for pulling all working orders and placing an order to exit the current position.
The Enable Reverse (Order Type) setting Enables Reverse, a button for pulling all working orders and placing an order to reverse the current position.
Integrated Charting and News powered by Market-Q
J-Trader also features integrated charting and news from Market-Q, Interactive Data's browser-based real-time market data desktop terminal. Interactive Data is a leading global provider of financial market data, analytics and related solutions.
Market-Q features an integrated charting window with streaming, real-time data and over than 30 technical studies with user-changeable parameters. It also provides a news window that offers comprehensive real-time news, including coverage of commodities trading news.
Beginner's Guide To J-Trader: Conclusion
- No results found.