Now you know the basics of bonds. Not too complicated, is it? Here is a recap of what we discussed:
- Bonds are just like IOUs. Buying a bond means you are lending out your money.
- Bonds are also called fixed-income securities because the cash flow from them is fixed.
- Stocks are equity; bonds are debt.
- The key reason to purchase bonds is to diversify your portfolio.
- The issuers of bonds are governments and corporations.
- A bond is characterized by its face value, coupon rate, maturity and issuer.
- Yield is the rate of return you get on a bond.
- When price goes up, yield goes down, and vice versa.
- When interest rates rise, the price of bonds in the market falls, and vice versa.
- Bills, notes and bonds are all fixed-income securities classified by maturity.
- Government bonds are the safest bonds, followed by municipal bonds, and then corporate bonds.
- Bonds are not risk free. It's always possible - especially in the case of corporate bonds - for the borrower to default on the debt payments.
- High-risk/high-yield bonds are known as junk bonds.
- You can purchase most bonds through a brokerage or bank. If you are a
citizen, you can buy government bonds through TreasuryDirect. U.S.
- Often, brokers will not charge a commission to buy bonds but will mark up the price instead.
InvestingBonds play an important part in your portfolio as you age; learning about them makes good financial sense.
InvestingBond investing is a stable and low-risk way to diversify a portfolio. However, knowing which types of bonds are right for you is not always easy.
InvestingFind out which bonds you should be investing in and when you should be buying them.
InvestingCorporate bonds can provide compelling returns, even in low-yield environments. But they are not without risk.
InvestingLearn about various ways that you can adjust a fixed income investment portfolio to mitigate the potential negative effect of rising interest rates.
InvestingMunicipal bonds and bond funds differ in several ways, which is partly why they complement each other well.
InvestingLearn these basic terms to breakdown this seemingly complex investment area.
InvestingDiscover five reasons why investing in municipal bonds after the Fed hikes interest rates, and not before, can be a great way to boost investment income.
InvestingIt is difficult to make money in bonds in a rising rate environment, but there are ways to avoid losses.