One of the most important investment decisions you will make has nothing to do with which stock, bond or mutual fund you buy. We're talking about selecting a broker. Hopefully the information in this tutorial will assist you in your search.
- Brokers are the people who handle customer orders to buy and sell securities.
- Don't forget that a broker is a salesperson.
- Minimum balances required to open an account range from thousands of dollars to nothing at all.
- All brokerages charge commissions to execute orders. This fee varies widely depending on the type of brokerage.
- Look out for hidden fees for transactions like the transfer of assets or inactivity.
- Full-service brokers offer much more, but they're expensive.
- Discount brokers don't offer the extras, but they're affordable.
- Online brokerages have changed the industry by lowering costs and blurring the line between discount and full-service.
- The type of brokerage you require depends on your investing style.
- It's possible to check the background of all brokers and firms.
- The type of account you need depends on the type of securities you want to hold.
- There are many ways to execute an equity order.
TradingThis important investment decision happens before you pick your first stock. Find out how to get it right.
TradingMake sure you're getting the best service by staying informed and involved.
TradingWhat you need to know about fees when choosing between a full service and discount broker.
Financial AdvisorFiguring out what kind of broker to use can be a daunting task. The key is figuring out just how much help you need.
TradingLearn the clues you'll need to determine whether you've chosen a reputable professional.
InvestingEven discount brokers can hit you with some fees that seem unnecessary; here are some to watch out for.
Managing WealthWhile discount brokers are the perfect choice for some investors, their business model could be detrimental to others.
Financial AdvisorDetermine what you are getting for your fees and commissions and how to get your money's worth.
MarketsFind out the various ways in which a broker can fill an order, which can affect costs.
InvestingOpening an Account Every brokerage has different terms and conditions for opening an account. There is a wide range of minimum deposits, varying anywhere from $500 to $2,500. Make sure you read ...