Brokers and Online Trading: Conclusion
One of the most important investment decisions you will make has nothing to do with which stock, bond or mutual fund you buy. We're talking about selecting a broker. Hopefully the information in this tutorial will assist you in your search.
- Brokers are the people who handle customer orders to buy and sell securities.
- Don't forget that a broker is a salesperson.
- Minimum balances required to open an account range from thousands of dollars to nothing at all.
- All brokerages charge commissions to execute orders. This fee varies widely depending on the type of brokerage.
- Look out for hidden fees for transactions like the transfer of assets or inactivity.
- Full-service brokers offer much more, but they're expensive.
- Discount brokers don't offer the extras, but they're affordable.
- Online brokerages have changed the industry by lowering costs and blurring the line between discount and full-service.
- The type of brokerage you require depends on your investing style.
- It's possible to check the background of all brokers and firms.
- The type of account you need depends on the type of securities you want to hold.
- There are many ways to execute an equity order.
A principle that defines the relationship between the price of ...
The period of time for which a financial instrument remains outstanding. ...
A stock option granted to specified employees of a company. ESOs ...
The estimated volatility of a security's price.
The most basic or standard version of a financial instrument, ...
An economic condition occurring when the difference between a ...
Like your savings or checking account, any interest you own in a mutual fund is considered a liquid asset because it can ... Read Full Answer >>
Discount brokers generally don't improve profits by generating higher returns, although many purport to do just that. Rather, ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds invest in not only stocks and fixed-income securities but also options and futures. There exists a separate ... Read Full Answer >>
All publicly-traded companies have a set number of shares that are outstanding on the stock market. A stock split is a decision ... Read Full Answer >>
It is easy to get started buying and selling stocks, especially with the advancements in online trading since the turn of ... Read Full Answer >>
Financial spread betting is a type of speculation that involves a highly leveraged derivative product, whereas arbitrage ... Read Full Answer >>