Brokers and Online Trading: Conclusion
One of the most important investment decisions you will make has nothing to do with which stock, bond or mutual fund you buy. We're talking about selecting a broker. Hopefully the information in this tutorial will assist you in your search.
- Brokers are the people who handle customer orders to buy and sell securities.
- Don't forget that a broker is a salesperson.
- Minimum balances required to open an account range from thousands of dollars to nothing at all.
- All brokerages charge commissions to execute orders. This fee varies widely depending on the type of brokerage.
- Look out for hidden fees for transactions like the transfer of assets or inactivity.
- Full-service brokers offer much more, but they're expensive.
- Discount brokers don't offer the extras, but they're affordable.
- Online brokerages have changed the industry by lowering costs and blurring the line between discount and full-service.
- The type of brokerage you require depends on your investing style.
- It's possible to check the background of all brokers and firms.
- The type of account you need depends on the type of securities you want to hold.
- There are many ways to execute an equity order.
A derivative that confers the right, but not the obligation, ...
An options strategy that involves purchasing call options at ...
A group of individuals that are elected as, or elected to act ...
The difference between the highest current bid price among dealers ...
A catalyst in equity markets is a revelation or event that propels ...
Crude oil is a naturally occurring, unrefined petroleum product ...
Like your savings or checking account, any interest you own in a mutual fund is considered a liquid asset because it can ... Read Full Answer >>
Discount brokers generally don't improve profits by generating higher returns, although many purport to do just that. Rather, ... Read Full Answer >>
A derivative is a contract between two or more parties whose value is based on an agreed-upon underlying financial asset, ... Read Full Answer >>
"Finance" is a broad term that describes two related activities: the study of how money is managed and the actual process ... Read Full Answer >>
After-hours trading (AHT) refers to the buying and selling of securities on major exchanges outside of specified regular ... Read Full Answer >>
The 'Rule of 72' is a simplified way to determine how long an investment will take to double, given a fixed annual rate of ... Read Full Answer >>