If you are a long-term investor, you can take this tutorial with a grain of salt. At least now you have some insight into how electronic systems give direct access to the market. We hope this has enlightened your outlook and helped you achieve a greater understanding of how the execution of stock orders is done. For those who are looking to become a trader, this is the tip of the iceberg and we'd advise you to do a lot more research in this area before jumping in.
Let's recap what we have learned:
- The NYSE is an auction market and uses specialists to trade securities.
- The Nasdaq is an OTC market where trading is facilitated through market makers.
- Each stock listed on the NYSE is allocated to a specialist who matches up buyers and sellers, provides liquidity and finds the fair price at the beginning of each trading day.
- A market maker provides continuous bid and offer prices within a prescribed percentage spread for shares in which they are designated to make a market.
- SuperDOT system is an electronic system used to place orders for stocks on the NYSE.
- ECNs network major brokerages and traders, so that they can trade between themselves without involving a middleman.
- SOES is an automatic order execution for individual traders with orders less than or equal to 1,000 shares.
- There are three levels on the Nasdaq that vary on the amount of information and access they provide to investors.
InsightsLearn some of the important differences in the way these exchanges operate and the securities that trade on them.
TradingLearn the pros and cons of trading forex through these two types of brokers.
InvestingBuying and selling stock can be a lot like buying or selling a car. Traders should use and understand tools such as market orders, limit orders, day orders, and good-'til-canceled orders to ensure ...
TradingFind out what's happening in a given stock with this service showing Nasdaq market makers' best bid and ask prices.
TradingAn in depth look at how high-frequency trading works and who the players are.
TradingWhat was once associated with shouting traders and wild hand gestures has now become more closely associated with statisticians and computer programmers.
TradingFind out the various ways in which a broker can fill an order, which can affect costs.
Personal FinanceEnsure that you and your clients are getting the best deal by avoiding these three pitfalls.
TradingTaking control of your portfolio means knowing what orders to use when buying or selling stocks.
TradingAltering your entry and exit strategy could save you a lot of money in fees. Find out how to pad your bottom line.