Beginner's Guide To E*Trade Pro: Navigation Console
The Navigation Console, shown in Figure 7, appears at the top of the E*Trade Pro platform, and provides easy access to all the application's tools and resources. The Navigation Console includes:
Figure 7: The E*Trade Pro Navigation Console.
Shown in Figure 8, the account menu allows traders to switch back and forth between various E*Trade Securities accounts by making a selecting from the drop-down menu. Values for settled cash, unsettled cash and today's realized gains appear next to the account drop-down menu in the Purchasing Power panel.
Figure 8: The Account Menu.
The pull-down menus in the upper left-hand corner of the Navigation Console provide full control over the platform, including layout management and general settings. The menus, shown in Figure 9, include:
- File - To access the Find Symbol window, exit the platform and print the contents of a particular window.
- Layout - To select and manage layout options.
- Settings - For full control over all general platform settings, including launch preferences, order preview and confirmations and color themes.
- Help - To access the E*Trade Pro Help Center, release notes and tutorials.
Figure 9: The E*Trade Pro pull-down menus.
The Tab section of the Navigation Console, shown in Figure 10, provides access to a number of important platform features. The four Console Tabs are:
- Tools Tab - Opens a ribbon with icons that enables access to all tools and resources available in E*Trade Pro. All of the icons may not fit on the desktop; to view additional icons, use the arrows on either side of the Tools ribbon. To access a particular feature, click its icon. In most cases, this will automatically launch the corresponding window in the E*Trade Pro application.
- Quotes Tab - Opens a ribbon with a snapshot Level 1 quote for a security. Data in this ribbon changes each time a new security is selected, either by entering it in the ribbon's Symbol field or by clicking a security's row in a watch list, portfolio or other window.
- Ticker Tab - Opens a ribbon with a streaming ticker of Level 1 price quotes or news headlines. Right-click the ribbon and select Settings to choose the type of ticker to display (Top 10, Symbol List, Watch List, Positions or News).
- Trade Tab Provides a fast way to access the order entry window. Click the Trade Tab to open an order entry window.
Figure 10: The Console Tabs include Tools, Quotes, Ticker and Trade Tabs.
Note: The Tools Tab can also be accessed by clicking on the Tools icon at the bottom of the screen, as shown in Figure 11.
Figure 11: The Tools icon at the bottom right corner of the window.
Purchasing Power Panel
The Purchasing Power panel (see Figure 8) allows traders to view all purchasing power balances at a glance. If the Purchasing Power panel is not displayed, click the Purchasing Power link that appears above the Account menu. The balance types include:
- Settled - Shows settled cash available for investment.
- Unsettled - Shows unsettled cash available for investment.
- Marginable Securities - Shows purchasing power for marginable securities.
- Non-Marginable Securities - Shows purchasing power for non-marginable securities.
- Intraday, Marginable - Shows intraday purchasing power for marginable securities.
- Intraday, Non-Marginable - Shows intraday purchasing power for non-marginable securities.
- Today's Realized Gain - Shows total realized gains for the day.
- Net Account Value - The net value of the account.
- Overnight Purchasing Power, Marginable - Shows overnight purchasing power for marginable securities.
- Overnight Purchasing Power, Non-Marginable - Shows overnight purchasing power for non-marginable securities.
The Index panel, shown in Figure 12, displays real-time quotes for up to six market indexes. This panel appears on the far right side of the Navigation Console. By default, the Index panel alternates between two three-quote displays, and shows the quotes for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Nasdaq Composite, S&P 500, Russell 2000, VIX and the yield on the 10-year Treasury note. When the Purchasing Power panel is hidden, all six quotes can be viewed simultaneously.
To customize the Index panel, click the Tools icon on the left side of the panel, make any desired changes for any of the fields for Symbols 1 through 6 and click "OK." The changes will be reflected in the Index panel. To revert to the default indexes, click the Tools icon, click "Reset" in the setup dialog box and then click "OK."
Figure 12: The Index panel displays up to six real-time quotes for market indexes.
Beginner's Guide To E*Trade Pro: Charts And Settings
Securities that cannot be purchased on margin at a particular ...
The money an investor has available to buy securities. In a margin ...
The value of a currency expressed in terms of the amount of goods ...
An increase or decrease in how much consumers can buy with a ...
Unique bills sold at a discount and maturing within 23 to 273 ...
An arrangement of characters (usually letters) representing a ...
Learn about E*Trade and how investors can find and trade shares of mutual funds through E*Trade's investment platform with ... Read Answer >>
Discover what the moving average ribbon is, and learn how it can be implemented to create a breakout trading strategy for ... Read Answer >>
Take a look at the rationale behind moving average ribbons, and see why traders and chartists use multiple trendlines for ... Read Answer >>
Learn how to construct a moving average ribbon strategy, which plots as many as eight or more moving average lines on a price ... Read Answer >>
When looking at some online brokerage accounts, there are a few figures that may be confusing, including account value, cash ... Read Answer >>
Learn about how traders might use an exponential moving average ribbon strategy and what kinds of buy and sell signals are ... Read Answer >>
You May Also Like