Charts can be customized to suit each trader's individual needs and preferences. To open a chart, from the Main Menu select "Tools" and then "Charts." From here, traders can choose "Symbol Lookup" or "New Window;" "New Window" opens the main charting window. To display a chart for a particular security, type the symbol in the upper left-hand box and press "Enter" on the keyboard.
The appropriate price chart opens with a Toolbar and several Tabs, as shown in Figure 13.
Figure 13: A price chart with Chart Toolbar and Tabs.
The Chart Toolbar, shown in Figure 14, appears at the top of the chart and provides various viewing, drawing and editing tools.
SEE: The Basics of Trading A Stock
Figure 14: The Chart Toolbar provides various viewing, drawing and editing tools.
There are five tabs across the bottom of the chart window:
- Time & Frequency: This tab has two drop-down boxes. Click on the "Time" drop-down arrow to display a list of time periods from which to choose (one day, three months, etc.). The Frequency drop-down menu allows users to choose the x axis scale for displaying data points (Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc.).
- Compare To: This tab also has two drop-down boxes. Click "Index/Sector" to display a list of Indexes and Industry Sectors. Highlight one to add the corresponding line chart to the price chart. Type in the symbol for another security in the box next to "Symbol(s)" and then click "Compare" to display a line chart for the security within the chart (see Figure 15).
Figure 15: Use the Compare To tab to add comparative line charts of Indexes, Sectors or other symbols.
- Add Indicators: This tab has one drop-down box, Indicators, which contains a list of standard technical indicators and candlestick patterns (see Figure 16). Depending upon the indicator, additional boxes may appear that enable indicator customization. Once inputs have been customized, click "Add" to add the indicator to the price chart. To add additional indicators, repeat the process.
Figure 16: Select the "Add Indicators" tab below the price chart to add any of a variety of technical indicators to the price chart.
- Edit & Remove Indicators: The tab is activated once an indicator or candlestick pattern has been added to a chart. Select the appropriate indicator from the drop-down list to edit or remove that indicator.
- Style & Color: This tab contains five drop-down boxes and a check box to show or hide the previous close. Chart Type shows the available chart styles, such as line and candlestick. Pricing Axis enables traders to choose a normal or logarithmic pricing axis. Last Trade Price determines if the last trade price is to be displayed. Color Scheme enables users to select a pre-set color scheme or to create a customized color scheme. Blank Space adjusts the amount of space between the end of the price bars and the price axis.
Tab Charting is a feature of ATP that enables traders to toggle between multiple charting intervals of the same symbol without having to open additional chart windows. With Tab Charting, traders have quick access to intraday, 10-day, one-month, one-year and five-year charts, for example, as shown in Figure 17. To enable Tab Charting, right-click in the chart window and select "Show Tabs."
Figure 17: Enable Tab Charting to have quick access to multiple charting intervals of the same symbol.
Tabs can be added, deleted and renamed by right-clicking any tab. Up to 10 tabs can be added to any chart.
Traders can save chart settings by:
- Clicking the Save icon in the Chart Toolbar. This will overwrite the existing chart with any new settings;
- Selecting the Save As icon in the Chart Toolbar. This will save the chart as a new chart. Up to 30 charts can be saved or
- Right-clicking on the chart and selecting the "Save" or "Save As" functions.
Beginner's Guide To Fidelity's Active Trader Pro: Trading
- No results found.