Broker Summary - Interactive Brokers: Account Types And Minimum Deposits
Interactive Brokers offers customer accounts for individuals, families and small businesses. In addition, IB offers a variety of customer account structures to meet the specific needs of institutions, such as professional advisors, registered brokers, futures commission merchants (FCMs), money managers, and hedge and mutual funds. Most individual accounts require a minimum equity deposit in cash or stock of USD 10,000 (or USD equivalent) or USD 5,000 for IRA Accounts (or USD equivalent); the following minimums are required to open an account:
Figure 1: IB account minimums
Interactive Brokers offers Individual, Joint and IRA Accounts that are structured as single accounts with a default single user. Customers must be 21 or older to open a margin account, and 18 or older to open a cash account. An optional second user with Power of Attorney can be added. Two "tracks" for Individual, Joint and IRA Accounts are offered:
FastTrack Application - for customers who:
- Want to start with trading stocks only, and
- Want to trade in a single country with a single currency, and
- Want a cash or Reg T Margin account but not a Portfolio Margin account, and
- Are not a professional for purposes of market data subscriptions, and
- Do not want to subscribe to news and information services, and
- Do not require Non-Resident Indian status.
- Want to start trading multiple products in addition to stocks (including options, futures, forex, bonds, mutual funds, and CFDs), or
- Want to trade in multiple countries and multiple currencies, or
- Want to choose among multiple commission plans, or
- Want a Portfolio Margin account.
Customers must be 21 or older to open a margin account, and 18 or older to open a cash account. Parents who wish to trade on behalf of their children can open a Friends & Family Advisor Account with a Trust client account for each child. IB offers Friends and Family Group Accounts for managing multiple accounts (15 or fewer) of varying types under a single login, including:
- Limited Liability Corporation
- Unincorporated Legal Structures
SEE: 10 Steps To Building A Winning Trading Plan
Small Business Accounts
IB offers account structures for corporations, partnerships, limited liability corporations and unincorporated legal structures.
- One or more users manage a single account
- Must be 21 or older to open a margin account; 18 or older to open a cash account
The market where borrowers and mortgage originators come together ...
A mortgage loan in which the borrower receives a loan amount ...
A type of mortgage in which a homeowner can borrow money against ...
An institution or individual that works with a borrower to complete ...
The market where mortgage loans and servicing rights are bought ...
A group of mortgages held in trust as collateral for the issuance ...
Learn the difference between a money market account and a money market fund. Both savings vehicles are relatively safe, but ... Read Answer >>
Explore the factors that make Belize one of the most modern and corporate-friendly tax havens in the world, including its ... Read Answer >>
The purchase of a home is a very expensive undertaking and usually requires some form of financing to make the purchase possible. ... Read Answer >>
Learn why some home buyers are required to take out private mortgage insurance (PMI), and how it affects the total monthly ... Read Answer >>
When you make a mortgage payment, the amount paid is a combination of an interest charge and principal repayment. Over the ... Read Answer >>
Get informed about Roth IRAs, which have a few disadvantages, including limited access to funds and contribution limits based ... Read Answer >>