Broker Summary - Interactive Brokers: Account Types And Minimum Deposits
Interactive Brokers offers customer accounts for individuals, families and small businesses. In addition, IB offers a variety of customer account structures to meet the specific needs of institutions, such as professional advisors, registered brokers, futures commission merchants (FCMs), money managers, and hedge and mutual funds. Most individual accounts require a minimum equity deposit in cash or stock of USD 10,000 (or USD equivalent) or USD 5,000 for IRA Accounts (or USD equivalent); the following minimums are required to open an account:
Figure 1: IB account minimums
Interactive Brokers offers Individual, Joint and IRA Accounts that are structured as single accounts with a default single user. Customers must be 21 or older to open a margin account, and 18 or older to open a cash account. An optional second user with Power of Attorney can be added. Two "tracks" for Individual, Joint and IRA Accounts are offered:
FastTrack Application - for customers who:
- Want to start with trading stocks only, and
- Want to trade in a single country with a single currency, and
- Want a cash or Reg T Margin account but not a Portfolio Margin account, and
- Are not a professional for purposes of market data subscriptions, and
- Do not want to subscribe to news and information services, and
- Do not require Non-Resident Indian status.
- Want to start trading multiple products in addition to stocks (including options, futures, forex, bonds, mutual funds, and CFDs), or
- Want to trade in multiple countries and multiple currencies, or
- Want to choose among multiple commission plans, or
- Want a Portfolio Margin account.
Customers must be 21 or older to open a margin account, and 18 or older to open a cash account. Parents who wish to trade on behalf of their children can open a Friends & Family Advisor Account with a Trust client account for each child. IB offers Friends and Family Group Accounts for managing multiple accounts (15 or fewer) of varying types under a single login, including:
- Limited Liability Corporation
- Unincorporated Legal Structures
SEE: 10 Steps To Building A Winning Trading Plan
Small Business Accounts
IB offers account structures for corporations, partnerships, limited liability corporations and unincorporated legal structures.
- One or more users manage a single account
- Must be 21 or older to open a margin account; 18 or older to open a cash account
Using simulated trading to practice buying and selling securities ...
A trading account that allows an investor to review and test ...
An interface or "go-between" that enables a software program ...
The use of wireless technology in securities trading. Mobile ...
Computer programs that facilitate trading of financial products ...
Software through which investors and traders can open, close ...
Learn how a limit order is placed, the types of stocks it is most useful for and the specifications placed with it to suit ...
Learn all about put option trading at E*TRADE. Explore margin accounts and become familiar with the different types of option ...
Learn about option trading with TD Ameritrade. Explore the different types of options and their possible impacts on the investors ...
Learn how traders use different types of forex signal systems such as trend-based or range-based to create or supplement ...