Money Market: Conclusion
We hope this tutorial has given you an idea of the securities in the money market. It's not exactly a sexy topic, but definitely worth knowing about, as there are times when even the most ambitious investor puts cash on the sidelines.
- The money market specializes in debt securities that mature in less than one year.
- Money market securities are very liquid, and are considered very safe. As a result, they offer a lower return than other securities.
- The easiest way for individuals to gain access to the money market is through a money market mutual fund.
- T-bills are short-term government securities that mature in one year or less from their issue date.
- T-bills are considered to be one of the safest investments - they don't provide a great return.
- A certificate of deposit (CD) is a time deposit with a bank.
- Annual percentage yield (APY) takes into account compound interest, annual percentage rate (APR) does not.
- CDs are safe, but the returns aren't great, and your money is tied up for the length of the CD.
- Commercial paper is an unsecured, short-term loan issued by a corporation. Returns are higher than T-bills because of the higher default risk.
- Banker's acceptances (BA)are negotiable time draft for financing transactions in goods.
- BAs are used frequently in international trade and are generally only available to individuals through money market funds.
- Eurodollars are U.S. dollar-denominated deposit at banks outside of the United States.
- The average eurodollar deposit is very large. The only way for individuals to invest in this market is indirectly through a money market fund.
- Repurchase agreements (repos) are a form of overnight borrowing backed by government securities.
The price an asset would fetch in the marketplace. Market value ...
A nickname for the foreign bond market of the United Kingdom. ...
An announcement by an investor who holds a security that he or ...
The return on investment, expressed as a percentage, on the debt ...
A reduction in the number of a publicly traded company’s shares ...
A refusal of businesses to invest in a particular sector of the ...
Understand the basics of the three white soldiers pattern and what conditions are optimal for creating effective trade strategies ...
Find out why it can be difficult to prove any real causal link between rising stock market prices and a healthy, growing ...
Determine if transactions are conducted at arm's length by checking if the parties to a contract are independent and transact ...
Learn about the safest and riskiest assets to invest in. Explore savings accounts, T-bills, certificates of deposit, equities ...