403(b) Plan: Introduction
By Denise Appleby
What Is a 403(b) Plan?
A 403(b) plan is a retirement plan for certain public school employees, employees of tax-exempt organizations and ministers. Individual 403(b) accounts are established and maintained by eligible employees.
Accounts under a 403(b) plan can be one of the three following types:
- An annuity contract provided through an insurance company; these 403(b) annuity plans are also known as tax-sheltered annuities (TSAs) and tax-deferred annuities (TDAs).
- A custodial account provided through a retirement account custodian; investments are limited to regulated investment companies, such as mutual funds.
- A retirement income account, for which investments options are either annuities or mutual funds.
Why Establish a 403(b) Account?
The following are advantages of maintaining a 403(b) plan or account:
For the employer:
- Attractive benefits that help keep high-quality employees happy.
- A shared cost of funding between employers and employees (in some cases, only employees contribute to the 403(b) plan).
For the employee:
- Reduced taxable income through pretax contributions,
- Tax-deferred earnings on plan contributions. If the contributions are made to a Roth 403(b) account, earnings can be tax-free.
- The likelihood of paying less tax on assets as distributions usually occur during retirement, when an employee may be in a lower tax bracket.
- The ability to take loans from the 403(b) accounts.
The amount of pension benefit accrued by an employee who had ...
A tax-efficient retirement savings account available in Great ...
Senior move managers (SMMs) help seniors downsize and relocate ...
Elder care, sometimes called elderly care, refers to services ...
An IRS-allowed movement of assets into or out of an individual ...
Also known as Social Security Death Index. A list of people whose ...
Learn why investors may have to pay taxes on dividends from master limited partnerships, or MLPs, held in individual retirement ...
For individuals who are just starting to save, certificates of deposit can be a good place to start, but the interest rates ...
Absolutely! Just as finding a good mechanic will help keep your car running smoothly, finding a good broker or financial ...
Most firms require that you complete their account transfer request form, which they use to request the transfer of assets ...