Let's recap what we've learned in this tutorial:
- Stock means ownership. As an owner, you have a claim on the assets and earnings of a company as well as voting rights with your shares.
- Stock is equity, bonds are debt. Bondholders are guaranteed a return on their investment and have a higher claim than shareholders. This is generally why stocks are considered riskier investments and require a higher rate of return.
- You can lose all of your investment with stocks. The flip-side of this is you can make a lot of money if you invest in the right company.
- The two main types of stock are common and preferred. It is also possible for a company to create different classes of stock.
- Stock markets are places where buyers and sellers of stock meet to trade. The NYSE and the Nasdaq are the most important exchanges in the United States.
- Stock prices change according to supply and demand. There are many factors influencing prices, the most important of which is earnings.
- There is no consensus as to why stock prices move the way they do.
- To buy stocks you can either use a brokerage or a dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP).
- Stock tables/quotes actually aren't that hard to read once you know what everything stands for!
- Bulls make money, bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered!
Financial AdvisorWithout a doubt, common stocks are one of the greatest tools ever invented for building wealth.
InsightsLearn what it means to own stocks and shares, why shares exist, and how you buy and sell them.
Managing WealthWe delve into common stock owners' privileges and how to be vigilant in monitoring a company.
InvestingInvestors tend to buy either stocks or bonds, but rarely choose between the two. Find out when you'll benefit from one over the other.
InvestingWe'll provide a step-by-step introduction on how to invest - and succeed - in this market.
Financial AdvisorEquities and corporate bonds often play a significant role regarding the diversification of an investor's portfolio. We put both asset classes in contrast.
Managing WealthFind out which financial instruments will protect you from bear market volatility.
Financial AdvisorWith market volatility high, you may think it is time to run for corporate bonds instead of stocks. Before you do take a deeper look into which is better.
InvestingFirst-time investors beware of these potentially disastrous decisions.