Vacation Property Walkthrough: Maintaining A Vacation Home
Since the owner will be absent some (or most) of the time, it is important to make plans to take care of the property. If the vacation property is a condominium unit, the maintenance responsibilities for the building, grounds and common areas will already be taken care of by the condominium association. For most types of properties, however, the owner will need to hire someone (or a company) to keep an eye on the interior and exterior of the property and manage the everyday maintenance responsibilities (such as lawn and pool care) as well as unexpected repairs and emergencies (such as a flooded unit or a leaky roof).
A property management firm can provide home watch services that may include:
- Weekly visits to the home to check the condition of the interior and exterior
- Running the water and flushing toilets, checking appliances, bringing in mail/newspapers, watering plants
- Replacing air filters, light bulbs, etc.
- Looking for and identifying any problems
- Arranging for and oversight of repair and maintenance services
- Housecleaning services before and after owner visits
- Home set up (arrival services) for owner visits, including adjusting the thermostat, turning on the water, turning on the hot water heater, wood in the fireplace, snow removal, etc.
- Departure services including making sure all doors and windows are locked, adjusting the thermostat, garbage/recycling removal, winterizing, etc.
- Concierge services, such as dining reservations or concert tickets
- Acting as local point of contact for alarm systems
Vacation Property Walkthrough: Renting Out A Vacation Home
The administration of residential, commercial and/or industrial ...
A large property complex that is divided into individual units ...
An examination of a real estate property's condition, usually ...
An individual or company responsible for the day-to-day functioning ...
Any property that is received as a replacement for property that ...
A tax assessed on real estate by the local government. The tax ...
Understand what unclaimed property is and what types of property can be considered abandoned or unclaimed. Learn what states ... Read Answer >>
Discover how total roof replacement is covered under most all-perils home insurance policies if the damage is the result ... Read Answer >>
Profit from real estate investments by either flipping homes or becoming a landlord. Learn best practices for a successful ... Read Answer >>
Read about the relationship between capitalism and private property rights, and learn why voluntary trade would collapse ... Read Answer >>
Learn what it takes for institutional investors to consider a property "investment grade," such as real estate investment ... Read Answer >>
Learn how renters insurance provides personal property coverage for items damaged by water only if the water is the result ... Read Answer >>