Vacation Property Walkthrough: Maintaining A Vacation Home
Since the owner will be absent some (or most) of the time, it is important to make plans to take care of the property. If the vacation property is a condominium unit, the maintenance responsibilities for the building, grounds and common areas will already be taken care of by the condominium association. For most types of properties, however, the owner will need to hire someone (or a company) to keep an eye on the interior and exterior of the property and manage the everyday maintenance responsibilities (such as lawn and pool care) as well as unexpected repairs and emergencies (such as a flooded unit or a leaky roof).
A property management firm can provide home watch services that may include:
- Weekly visits to the home to check the condition of the interior and exterior
- Running the water and flushing toilets, checking appliances, bringing in mail/newspapers, watering plants
- Replacing air filters, light bulbs, etc.
- Looking for and identifying any problems
- Arranging for and oversight of repair and maintenance services
- Housecleaning services before and after owner visits
- Home set up (arrival services) for owner visits, including adjusting the thermostat, turning on the water, turning on the hot water heater, wood in the fireplace, snow removal, etc.
- Departure services including making sure all doors and windows are locked, adjusting the thermostat, garbage/recycling removal, winterizing, etc.
- Concierge services, such as dining reservations or concert tickets
- Acting as local point of contact for alarm systems
Vacation Property Walkthrough: Renting Out A Vacation Home
An individual or company responsible for the day-to-day functioning ...
An examination of a real estate property's condition, usually ...
Any property that is received as a replacement for property that ...
A tax assessed on real estate by the local government. The tax ...
The status of a property which is in the early stages of being ...
In real estate, when the cost of mortgage payments, property ...
Read about the relationship between capitalism and private property rights, and learn why voluntary trade would collapse ... Read Answer >>
Understand how real estate is legally different from real property and the implications of that difference for each property ... Read Answer >>
Renters insurance and homeowners insurance offer similar benefits for occupants and homeowners, but in different ways and ... Read Answer >>
Learn how renters insurance provides personal property coverage for items damaged by water only if the water is the result ... Read Answer >>
Free info on financial certification exams including study guides, exam questions, and much more! Read Answer >>
Find out why an investment property's capitalization rate is important to real estate investors and how it can be used to ... Read Answer >>