Consumer Confidence Index



Next video:
Loading the player...

The Consumer Confidence Index is the result of a monthly survey of 5,000 U.S. households by the Conference Board that measures how optimistic or pessimistic consumers are about the economy’s current and future performance. When the index is high, consumers are expected to increase their spending on goods and services. When it is low, a decrease in spending is expected. Since consumer spending accounts for about two-thirds of gross domestic product, consumer confidence is an important indicator of where the economy might be headed.

The Consumer Confidence Index, or CCI, has a benchmark value of 100. Analysts can view CCI data by consumer age, income and census region.

Opinions on current conditions make up 40% of the index, with expectations of future conditions comprising the remaining 60%. The board calculates a relative value for each question by dividing the total positive responses by the total positive and negative responses. These values are averaged and then compared against the benchmark value of 100 to create the current index value.

Related Articles
  1. Economics

    Understanding The Consumer Confidence Index

    We look at this closely watched economic indicator to see what it means and how it's calculated.
  2. Markets

    Conference Board: Consumer Confidence Index

    By Chris Stone Contact Chris A consumer's decision of whether to buy that new TV for the family room this weekend or at a later date is driven by a number of economic factors. These include ...
  3. Retirement

    Economic Indicators: Consumer Confidence Index (CCI)

    By Ryan Barnes Release Date: Last Tuesday of the month Release Time: 10am Eastern Standard Time Coverage: Previous ...
  4. Retirement

    Consumer Confidence: A Killer Statistic

    The consumer confidence is key to any market economy, so investors need to learn the measures and how to analyze them.
  5. Economics

    Consumer Confidence Down From Last Year

    Economic readings point to good times ahead. Consumer sentiment says something else. What is correct?
  6. Active Trading Fundamentals

    How To Read The Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index

    The Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index has provided a key leading indicator for investors and economists for decades. This respected index is published monthly from the results of random telephone ...
  7. Financial Advisors

    Will Consumer Spending Save 2015?

    Consumer spending is considered an important number (and it is), but a savvy investor will always look at "why" rather than just "what." You should too.
  8. Fundamental Analysis

    4 Key Indicators That Move The Markets

    Find out what reports to watch in order to anticipate and react to market movements.
  9. Retirement

    Economic Indicators: Consumer Credit Report

    By Ryan Barnes Release Date: About five weeks after month's end Release Time: 3pm Eastern Standard Time Coverage: Monthly ...
  10. Investing News

    Australia Monthly Consumer Confidence index Hits 7-month low

    A report compiled by the Westpac-Melbourne Institute says the monthly consumer sentiment index fell by 4% from 99.06 in March to 95.1 in April.
Hot Definitions
  1. MACD Technical Indicator

    Moving Average Convergence Divergence (or MACD) is a trend-following momentum indicator that shows the relationship between ...
  2. Over-The-Counter - OTC

    Over-The-Counter (or OTC) is a security traded in some context other than on a formal exchange such as the NYSE, TSX, AMEX, ...
  3. Quarter - Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4

    A three-month period on a financial calendar that acts as a basis for the reporting of earnings and the paying of dividends.
  4. Weighted Average Cost Of Capital - WACC

    Weighted average cost of capital (WACC) is a calculation of a firm's cost of capital in which each category of capital is ...
  5. Basis Point (BPS)

    A unit that is equal to 1/100th of 1%, and is used to denote the change in a financial instrument. The basis point is commonly ...
  6. Sharing Economy

    An economic model in which individuals are able to borrow or rent assets owned by someone else.
Trading Center