George Soros is one of the most famous financiers of the past half-century.
Twenty years after graduating from the London School of Economics, he opened Soros Fund, later renamed Quantum Fund, where he tested his free market principles in capital markets. There, he turned $12 million in seed funding into $20 billion by the beginning of the 21st century.
Soros also found philanthropic organizations and donated billions to charity. He tested his investment principles in global financial markets and honed a strategy that combined scientific methods with his passion for social change.
His strategy follows five key guidelines:
- Value assets by market feedback.
- Apply the scientific method, which creates a strategy that tracks what will transpire in financial markets based on current data.
- Follow physical cues. A headache will cause Soros to abandon an investment.
- Blend political and investment intuition. For example, Soros earned a billion dollars when he bet heavily against the U.K.’s decision to hike interest rates in 1992.
- Consolidate and reflect after gathering opinions from advisors before making any investment decision.
Investing like Soros requires guts and confidence. Investors should learn from his patience, discipline and research methods, and remember that they can’t be too bold with any market move.
For more on Soros, see By George: Investing the Soros Way.
InvestingLearn about where George Soros keeps his massive fortune. Discover how Soros has supported various candidates and political causes during his career.
InsightsGeorge Soros has apparently decided that 86 is indeed too young to retire.
InsightsThe Holocaust survivor made others wealthy on his way to becoming one of the richest people in the world.
InvestingLearn about some of the most successful trades famed investor George Soros has made during his career, including a billion dollar profit against the pound.
Managing WealthGeorge Soros spent decades as one of the world's elite investors, and even he didn't always come out on top. But when he did, it was spectacular.
Financial AdvisorLearn about what George Soros is holding in his portfolio, including his large options position in the S&P 500 and what popular Internet stock he liquidated.
InvestingThe billionaire founder of Soros Fund Management added Goldman Sachs and scrapped his position in Nvidia.