The American Automobile Association (AAA) was founded in 1902 and has since expanded to more than 25 individual clubs throughout North America. With more than 60 million members, AAA has diversified its offerings to include homeowners insurance. To be eligible for AAA homeowners insurance, you’ll need to be a member. Not all states offer policies directly—some local clubs will connect you with a partner insurer.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
AAA membership benefits included
Online quotes available
Multiple discount opportunities on premiums
Not available nationwide
Offerings vary from state to state
- AAA members may be eligible for numerous discounts depending on location.
- Homeowners insurance policies aren’t available nationwide.
- Coverage, discounts, and customer service vary depending on the AAA club homeowners join.
- Year Founded 1902
- Official Website www.aaa.com
- Insurance Offered Auto, condo, homeowners, renters, landlord, mobile home, motorcycle, RV, boat, and more.
- Customer Service 24/7 hotline (depends on AAA club); in-person at a branch (hours differ depending on location)
- AAA membership benefits included: Members receive numerous perks, including discounts at participating retailers, DMV services, 24/7 emergency roadside assistance, free travel resources, and more.
- Online quotes available: Most clubs offer the ability to receive or request a homeowners insurance quote online.
- Multiple discount opportunities on premiums: Homeowners may be able to earn discounts or credits for being claims-free or of a certain age.
- Not available nationwide: AAA membership is only available to those who reside in certain areas within a state. For example, AAA Texas includes most major cities within the state but not Texarkana.
- Membership required: Homeowners need to be AAA members before being eligible for an insurance policy.
- Offerings vary from state to state: As AAA clubs are managed locally, options such as coverage and discounts for homeowners insurance policies may be different based on location.
AAA Standard Home Insurance Coverage Plan
Different insurance companies may offer policies under the AAA brand (or partner with it) to provide homeowners insurance. Though the specifics of standard coverage may differ depending on location, here’s what you can expect to find.
This part of your insurance will provide coverage to repair or rebuild the physical structure of your home in the event of a covered loss. This may include causes such as theft, fire, lightning, wind, hail, and vandalism. Your specific coverage amount will depend on policy limits.
Other Structures Coverage
Your detached structures on your property, such as a garage, swimming pool, tool shed, or fences, will be included in the case of covered losses or qualifying events.
Personal Property Coverage
AAA homeowners insurance policies cover your personal property, including appliances and furniture. Limits of liability will apply and depend on your coverage amount.
Jewelry and Other Valuables Coverage
Limits apply, but an AAA homeowners policy may cover valuables such as collectibles, jewelry, and watches in the event they’re damaged under a covered loss or stolen.
Personal Liability Protection
In the event you’re found liable for damages or losses resulting from bodily injury, personal injury, or property damage, you’ll be covered. For example, if your tree falls on your neighbor’s car and it needs repairs, you may be covered.
Medical Payments to Others
If there was an accident on or around your property that caused personal or bodily injury, your policy will provide coverage for medical expenses and payments, such as hospital stays and surgical procedures.
For homes deemed inhabitable or unfit to live in due to a covered loss, AAA may provide additional living expenses, such as temporary housing, storage rental, and pet boarding.
Your exact quote will vary depending on the insurance company and factors such as:
- Claims history
- Age of home
- Other characteristics (such as whether it was remodeled)
- Roof condition
- Location of property
- Home security systems
AAA Home Insurance Discounts
AAA offers different discounts in varying amounts depending on your location. Not all of these options are available everywhere, so it’s best to contact a local agent for more information.
Here’s a sampling of discounts you may be eligible for:
- Multiple Policy Discount: Save up to 22% on your homeowners insurance if you combine different insurance policies.
- Loyalty Discount: Policyholders may save up to 10% on their premiums if they’ve been insured with AAA or one of its affiliates for at least one year.
- Claim-Free Discount: Homeowners who have been claims free for a minimum of three consecutive years can save up to 13%.
- Protective Device Discount: Homes with approved and properly maintained protective devices, such as a smoke detector, fire alarm, or burglar alarm, can save up to 15% on their premiums.
- Mature Policyholder Discount: Those who are at least 55 years old and retired get a 10% discount.
- AAA Membership Savings Discount: Save up to 5% just for being an AAA member.
- Age of Home Discount: Receive a discount of up to 40% depending on when your home was built.
- Hail-Resistant Roof Discount: Depending on the impact-resistance rating of your roof and where you live, AAA may offer you up to a 35% discount on your homeowners policy.
- Renovated Home Discount: Save up to 23% based on factors such as the type and number of renovations.
AAA Home Insurance Availability
AAA home insurance policies are available in 25 states: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia. Polices, coverage, and discounts may vary depending on location.
AAA Customer Service
Policyholders can call their club’s customer service hotline; hours vary depending on location, though it’s 24/7 to file a claim. You can also log into your account online to check policy documents or show up at a local branch for assistance.
How to Make a Home Insurance Claim With AAA
To file a claim, call a representative 24/7 at the hotline that applies to your specific AAA club area. You can also search for a local agent using the website’s “Find a Location” tool. Alternatively, you can just log into your member account online to file a claim. You’ll be given a claim or tracking number once you do, which you can use to check your claim’s status or other claims-related communications moving forward.
AAA Home Insurance Cancellation Policy
Primary members may cancel an AAA home insurance policy. This can be done by calling customer representatives of local agents or by logging into the member account online and requesting a cancellation.
Other Insurance Provided by AAA
AAA also provides the following types of insurance:
- Auto Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Traveler Medical Insurance
- Small Business Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- RV Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Collector Car Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Special Event Insurance
Get an AAA Homeowners Insurance Quote
There are a few options to receive an insurance quote through AAA: online, by phone, or in person.
- Online: Head to your location’s AAA website, log into your account (or continue as a guest), and fill in the requested details, such as your address, home type, year of purchase, and whether you have other AAA insurance.
- Phone: Call your location’s customer service hotline to receive a quote.
- In person: Find a local agent to apply for a policy.
AAA homeowners insurance may be a great fit for existing members who already have an auto insurance policy or qualify for additional discounts. Although policyholders need to become AAA members, it may be worth it to receive lower premiums, up to 40% depending on the age of your home.
Unfortunately, AAA clubs aren’t available nationwide, nor are all coverage and discount options, so it’s important to contact your specific location to understand what’s applicable for your situation. Customer service experiences may also vary depending on location, so check for customer reviews to see whether it’s worth giving AAA a shot.
Compare Other Home Insurance Reviews
AAA may not be in your location or provide the best coverage for your needs, so it’s important that you shop around for the best fit. Check with multiple homeowners insurance companies to find the best price and coverage before signing on the dotted line.
Investopedia is dedicated to furnishing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of homeowners insurance providers. We reviewed each company’s coverage options, available discounts, customer service, and satisfaction ratings to ensure that our content helps you make the right insurance decision for your needs.