AARP is a nonprofit organization that offers auto insurance coverage to its members through the Hartford, leveraging more than 200 years of experience and knowledge from one of the insurance industry’s leaders. The Hartford offers a wide range of insurance options so that AARP members can take advantage of multiple policy discounts and simplify their insurance coverage.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
24/7 car insurance claims hotline
12-month auto insurance rate protection
Exclusive discounts and benefits for AARP members
Insurance provided by a third party
Must be 50 or older
Must be an AARP member
- The AARP auto insurance program has been offered to members since 1984.
- AARP car insurance is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
- Insurance coverage is only available if you’re 50 or older and an AARP member.
- Discounts may be available when you bundle your auto policy with your home or renter’s insurance.
- According to AARP, new auto insurance customers save an average of $449 per year.
- Year Founded 1810
- Official Website https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/all/hartford-auto/
- Insurance Offered Auto, homeowners, renters, flood, umbrella, and more
- Customer Service 1-800-423-6789 M-F 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Sat 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST
- 24/7 car insurance claims hotline – If you are in an accident or need to file a claim, you can reach an AARP auto insurance live agent at any time of the day or night. You don’t need to wait until normal business hours to reach someone to get the claims process started.
- 12-month auto insurance rate protection – Most insurance policies renew every six months, and that is an opportunity for rates to change. With AARP car insurance, your auto insurance rates will stay the same for a full year.
- Exclusive discounts and benefits for AARP members – Although the Hartford offers many types of insurance policies, its auto policies are sold exclusively to AARP members. Because of this focus, it can tailor benefits, coverage, and discounts to those members.
- Insurance provided by a third party – All AARP auto insurance policies are sold by the Hartford, not AARP. Anytime that benefits are provided by a third party, there is the potential for misunderstanding and shifting of blame.
- Must be 50 or older – If you are under 50 years old, you are not eligible for AARP car insurance, even if you are an AARP member.
- Must be an AARP member – Although AARP lobbies on behalf of people 50 years and older, not everyone in this age bracket is a member. If you want to apply for AARP auto insurance, you must become a member.
In response to the coronavirus, a 15% discount has been automatically applied to up to three months of auto policies. Initially, the discount was applied to two months of policies for all customers with an active policy as of April 1, 2020. An additional 15% discount was applied to another month’s worth of premiums for all customers with an active policy as of June 1, 2020.
AARP Car Insurance Coverage
AARP’s auto insurance includes the following coverage options:
Liability coverage includes:
- Auto Policy Bodily Injury Liability – This pays claims relating to injuries caused when you are at fault in an auto accident, including to the passengers who are inside the vehicle with you or to a pedestrian you have hit.
- Property Damage Liability – This pays for damage that you cause to property that you do not own. It does not cover any damages to your own vehicle.
Medical coverage includes:
- Medical Payments Coverage – This applies to everyone inside your car during an accident and helps to pay for medical expenses related to the accident. You are also protected as a pedestrian and a passenger in someone else’s car. It does not cover injuries caused to other drivers.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – PIP, which is also known as “no-fault insurance,” covers accident-related expenses, such as lost wages, no matter who is at fault for the accident. It also covers you as a pedestrian.
- Collision Coverage – This helps to pay for damage done to your car if you hit another vehicle or object. Although collision coverage is optional, if you are leasing or financing your vehicle, your lender may require it.
- Comprehensive Coverage – This protects your vehicle from damage that’s out of your control and not a collision, such as severe weather or hitting an animal. It covers damage up to your car’s actual cash value, minus your deductible. Although comprehensive coverage is optional, if you are financing or have a lease, your lender may require it.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
These protect you if you’re in an accident with someone who is at fault and they either do not have insurance or their insurance does not cover all of the damages. Uninsured motorist coverage also protects you in case of a hit-and-run accident.
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage – This covers damage to your vehicle and your home or other property.
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury – This helps to pay for medical treatments and pain and suffering relating to your injuries.
AARP auto insurance also offers a number of additional coverages for your policy.
- Car Towing Coverage – This helps to pay the cost of towing your vehicle and the labor for repairs made at the site of your car’s breakdown.
- Disappearing Deductible – Your collision deductible will go down to $0 each year, as long as you maintain a clean driving record.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Your rates won’t go up just because you have an accident.
- Full Glass Coverage – This helps to pay the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged windshield or glass, and there is no deductible.
- Gap Insurance – Also known as “guaranteed auto protection,” gap insurance covers the difference between the actual cash value of your vehicle and the amount that you owe on your car loan.
- One Deductible Insurance – For claims involving two vehicles insured with AARP auto insurance, you’ll only pay one deductible, which will be whichever deductible is higher to cover damage to both vehicles.
- Personal Umbrella Insurance – An umbrella policy protects you against large claims that are in excess of your auto and homeowners insurance policy limits.
- Rental Car Expense Insurance – This helps you pay for a rental car when your vehicle has been in an accident.
Factors That Affect Your Costs
- Age – On average, older drivers have fewer accidents than younger ones. Younger drivers and those with less experience will have higher premiums.
- Gender – Women are statistically better drivers than men, which lowers their premiums.
- Car Use – The number of miles you drive and how your car is used (pleasure, commuting, or business) impact your premiums. The more that you are on the road, the higher your risk of being in an accident.
- Location – Drivers who live in urban areas have higher premiums than those in rural or suburban areas due to higher rates of vandalism and accidents.
- Vehicle – The value of your vehicle, its engine size and features, and its safety record affect your premiums.
When requesting a quote, AARP requires applicants to select “male” or “female.” Its underwriting process has not been updated to include those who identify as nonbinary, genderqueer, agender, or bi-gender.
AARP Car Insurance Discounts
There are a number of discounts available that you may be eligible for to lower your AARP auto insurance premiums.
Vehicle Equipment Discounts
- Air Bags – Vehicles with more than one airbag can save you money.
- Anti-Theft Devices – If your vehicle has an active or passive anti-theft device, such an alarm or tracking tool, you get a discount.
- TrueLane Driving Monitor – This app, available in both Android and Apple versions, uses sensors in your phone to automatically measure how you drive. The safer you drive, the better potential discount you’ll receive at renewal.
- Vehicle Fuel Type – Hybrid and electric vehicles are eligible for discounts.
Driver’s Education Discounts
- Defensive Driver Course – After finishing an approved defensive driver course, you’ll receive a discount for the next three years.
- Driver Training and Education – Drivers under the age of 21 (25 in Georgia) receive a discount after completing an approved training course.
- Good Student Discount – Drivers between the age of 16 and 25 attending school full time receive a discount after showing proof that they are in the upper 20% of their class, maintain a B average or the equivalent, have at least a 3.0 GPA, or were chosen for the dean’s list, the honor roll, or a comparable list.
Customer Loyalty Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you bundle your auto insurance with your home, condo, or renter’s insurance, you can save up to 5% on car insurance and 20% on homeowners insurance.
- Paid-in-Full Discount – You receive an extra discount when you pay your premium in full.
AARP Car Insurance Availability
Auto insurance from AARP is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Insurance coverage requirements and options vary by state.
AARP Customer Service
Customer service is available over the phone, online, or through the Hartford’s mobile app. Live phone agents are on call Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET. The call center is closed on Sundays.
Customers can easily manage their policy, make premium payments, and access policy documents on the Hartford website. Additionally, you can change vehicles and drivers, check on claims, and opt in for paperless documents.
Policyholders have access to many of the same functions on the app that are available online. Plus, you have additional features, including:
- Access your digital auto ID card
- Request roadside assistance
- Repair service finder and glass repair requests
- Replacement vehicle locator
- Insurance agent locator
It is important to work with an insurance company that has a strong financial backing. AM Best, a credit rating agency focused on the insurance industry, gave the Hartford an A+ (Superior) Financial Strength rating. These ratings measure an insurer’s stability and ability to meet its contractual obligations. An insurance company with a high rating can be relied upon to pay claims submitted by policyholders.
In J.D. Power’s 2020 Insurance Shopping Study, the Hartford ranks highest among midsize auto insurers in providing a satisfying purchase experience.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has a database of all complaints received about insurance companies. The NAIC publishes companies’ complaint ratios, meaning the number of complaints a company received the previous year relative to its market share. Scores of 1.0 are considered average. Anything above 1.0 means the company received more complaints than average, while scores below 1.0 mean the reverse.
For 2019 the Hartford had a score of 0.71, meaning that it had received fewer complaints than other companies of its size. This score is lower than its scores in 2018 (1.02) and 2017 (1.03), indicating that the Hartford is receiving fewer complaints than in years past.
Other Insurance Provided by AARP
AARP auto insurance is provided by the Hartford, which offers a number of other types of insurance policies to the general public, including:
- Business Insurance
- Small Business Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Classic Car Insurance
- RV Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- ATV Insurance
- Golf Cart Insurance
- Snowmobile Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim with AARP
If you need to file a claim with AARP auto insurance, you can call customer service 24 hours a day at 800-243-5860 or submit your claim online. To report your claim, you’ll need the following information:
- The best way to contact you
- The basic facts about what happened
- Your policy information
After you’ve filed your claim, the AARP car insurance adjuster will go over everything with you. They will explain what is covered and if you will need to pay anything before your coverage kicks in. The adjuster will also let you know if they need any additional information, such as statements, photos, or a police report.
Next, you’ll get a repair estimate from a damage expert. Usually they will need just a few photos to assess the damage to your vehicle. The adjuster will let you know if they need anything else.
The adjuster will review the estimate and pay approved claims within 48 hours. They will also help you order a rental vehicle if one is needed.
AARP Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
Policyholders can cancel their AARP auto insurance policy at any time without paying a cancellation fee. To do so, follow these steps:
- Call 800-423-6789
- At the voice prompt say “cancel insurance policy” and then enter your phone number
- Confirm your personal information with the agent who responds
Get an AARP Car Insurance Quote
You can get a quote for AARP auto insurance online or by calling 888-546-9099. Online is a popular option because you can get a quote in as little as eight minutes without speaking to a salesperson. To receive your personalized quote, be prepared to provide the following information about yourself and your vehicle:
- Date of Birth
- Driver’s License Number
- Social Security number
- Make, Model, and Year
- Financing Information (if applicable)
- Estimated Mileage and Use
- Marital Status
- Employment Status
- Residence Type
- Accident History
- AARP Membership Status (you can join during the application)
You will also be asked if you have taken a defensive driving course in the past three years and if you are interested in the TrueLane Discount app.
AARP will use this information to present options based on the amount and types of coverages you select. You can customize these options, amounts, and deductibles to create a quote that meets your needs. AARP auto insurance will review your driving record to finalize your quote.
Compare Other Car Insurance Reviews
AARP auto insurance offers exclusive benefits and discounts to its members. However, if you are not a member or are younger than 50 years old, you are not eligible for coverage. Before obtaining coverage with AARP car insurance, it makes sense to compare quotes from competing insurance carriers to ensure that you are getting the best deal.
AARP car insurance is a good option for AARP members who are at least 50 years old. Insurance is provided by the Hartford, which has more than $20 billion in annual revenues and in excess of 200 years of experience.
Quotes are available online or over the phone. Insurance premiums are locked in for 12 months at a time, and customers have numerous coverage and discount options. The Hartford offers many different types of insurance, including homeowners, renter’s, and umbrella policies, so customers can handle all of their property insurance needs with one company.
Investopedia is dedicated to furnishing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of car insurance providers. We reviewed each insurance provider's coverage options, available discounts, customer services, and satisfaction ratings to ensure that our content helps users make the right insurance decision for their needs.
Insurance Information Institute. "What Determines the Price of an Auto Insurance Policy?" Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
Google.com. "TrueLane from The Hartford." Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
Apple.com. "TrueLane from The Hartford." Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
AM Best. "AM Best Rating Unit: AMB #: 058707 - Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc." Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
J.D. Power. "J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study." Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Hartford Accident & Ind Co
National Complaint Index Report." Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
The Hartford. "Report a Claim on Your Auto Policy." Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.