<#-- Rebranding: Header Logo--> <#-- Rebranding: Footer Logo-->

Brandon Carter

“For nearly ten years Brandon Carter has been helping clients gain clarity and direction through thorough planning that is focused on their needs and explained in an easy to understand way.”

Financial Strategies Group, Inc.

Job Title:

Financial Advisor


Brandon Carter has been hard working and loyal member of the Financial Strategies Group* team since 2007. He currently holds three Securities licenses including the FINRA Series 7, 66 and 63. In addition, Brandon has completed the rigorous requirements to earn CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, Chartered Financial Consultant®, Certified Investment Management Analyst® and AEP® designations.

Brandon graduated from Central Michigan University with a Bachelor’s degree in Applied Arts. He majored in Entrepreneurship with a minor in Finance. Brandon has also earned a Master’s of Science degree in Financial Services from The American College of Financial Services.

After winning a wrestling state championship in high school Brandon walked onto Central Michigan University’s top 10 wrestling team. During his time at CMU he became a four year starter, was twice named the team’s “Most Improved Wrestler”, won the Mid-American Conference (MAC) wrestling championships, and earned NWCA Academic All-American Honors.

Brandon married his high school sweetheart, Becky, in 2008. They reside in Durand, MI with their two children, Paisley and Owen. Brandon enjoys just about any outdoor activity and spending time with his family


BS, Entrepreneurship and Finance, Central Michigan University
MS, Financial Planning and Services, The American College

CRD Number:


All Articles
Sort By:
Most Helpful
May 2018
    Financial Planning, Starting Out
January 2017
    College Tuition, Financial Planning
March 2017
    Charity, Retirement Savings, Tax Deductions / Credits
January 2018
    Pensions, Retirement Living, Retirement Savings
January 2017
    Long-Term Care Insurance, Retirement, Social Security

All Answers
Sort By:
Most Helpful
Can I contribute to a Roth IRA and still participate in my employer-sponsored retirement plan?
69% of people found this answer helpful

The above answer by Investopedia is great! The only thing I would add is you may not be able to contribute to a Roth IRA if your income is too high. The below information was taken directly from the IRS website. On the other hand having "too" much income should not effect your ability to contribute to your employer-sponsored retirement plan.

Amount of Roth IRA Contributions That You Can Make for 2016:

This table shows whether your contribution to a Roth IRA is affected by the amount of your modified AGI as computed for Roth IRA purpose.

If your filing status is... And your modified AGI is... Then you can contribute...
married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er)

< $184,000

up to the limit

> $184,000 but < $194,000

a reduced amount

> $194,000


married filing separately and you lived with your spouse at any time during the year

< $10,000

a reduced amount

> $10,000


single, head of household, or married filing separately and you did not live with your spouse at any time during the year

< $117,000

up to the limit

> $117,000 but < $132,000

a reduced amount

> $132,000


Amount of your reduced Roth IRA contribution

If the amount you can contribute must be reduced, figure your reduced contribution limit as follows.

  1. Start with your modified AGI.
  2. Subtract from the amount in (1):
    1. $184,000 if filing a joint return or qualifying widow(er),

    2. $-0- if married filing a separate return, and you lived with your spouse at any time during the year, or

    3. $117,000 for all other individuals.

  3. Divide the result in (2) by $15,000 ($10,000 if filing a joint return, qualifying widow(er), or married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time during the year).
  4. Multiply the maximum contribution limit (before reduction by this adjustment and before reduction for any contributions to traditional IRAs) by the result in (3).
  5. Subtract the result in (4) from the maximum contribution limit before this reduction. The result is your reduced contribution limit.

See Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs), for a worksheet to figure your reduced contribution.

November 2016
Can the Government pull my 403(b)?
50% of people found this answer helpful
November 2016
How can I start an IRA for my child?
46% of people found this answer helpful
November 2016
    401(k), IRAs, Real Estate
Should I use my 401(k) to pay for large expenses?
25% of people found this answer helpful
November 2016
    Banking, IRAs, Senior Care
What would you recommend to do with multiple separate IRAs?
0% of people found this answer helpful
November 2016