Pring Turner Capital Group
Ever since he can remember, Jim Kopas has always had a keen eye for business. His “professional” career began at the ripe old age of 11 when he started a dog walking service in Walnut Creek to help neighbors with especially energetic pets. After just a few months of walking dogs and with years of accumulated birthday savings, Jim had enough money to open his first investment account. He has been enamored with investments ever since.
To grow his investment knowledge, Jim enrolled at Santa Clara University in 2005 and three years later received a BSC degree in Finance. Upon graduation he joined the fee-only investment advisor in Walnut Creek, California. This was just in time to be greeted with the greatest financial crises since the Great Depression, an even more valuable learning experience than college. In 2013, he earned the Chartered Financial Analyst®(CFA) designation, one of the most respected and recognized investment advisory designations in the world.
Away from the Walnut Creek office when not working as a financial advisor, Jim loves spending precious time with his wife Genna and daughters Kate and Charlotte. The Kopas family especially enjoys traveling, attending Cal Football games, and long walks around the Walnut Creek area with the family’s golden retrievers.
BSC, Finance, Santa Clara University
Assets Under Management:
Pring Turner is an investment advisor in Walnut Creek, Ca registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. The views represented herein are Pring Turner’s own and all information is obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. This information should not be considered a solicitation or offer to provide any service in any jurisdiction where it would be unlawful to do so. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
Pring Turner Investment Management
The first question should be: Are you a fee-only investment advisor? This arrangement eliminates conflicts of interest between you and your investment advisor. These next sets of questions are a very good starting point for learning if a particular fee-only investment advisor is a suitable match for you.
- What is your investment strategy? Keys: Is the strategy easily understood? Does it make sense to you?
- How long have you been investment advising using this strategy? Key: How much experience does the investment advisor team have?
- What is your investment performance? Keys: Not only what are the returns, but more importantly, how much risk was taken? Is the performance history documented and does it adhere to Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS)? GIPS is the investment industry’s gold standard used to measure investment performance and can also be used to easily compare managers. How has risk been quantified?
- What are the worst percentage drawdowns during the bad periods? Keys: How much time did it take for the investment portfolio to get back to new highs?
- Does the investment advisor communicate what you own and why? Do they communicate when performance slides and things are not going as well?