Alexis Hongamen

Personal Finance, Retirement, Investing
“Alexis Hongamen, a 25 year federal employee & a Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor, exclusively helps civil servants & retirees with their financial planning and investment needs on a fee-only basis.”

Federal Retirement Investment Advisers, LLC

Job Title:



After 25 years as a federal employee, Alexis found there was a limited number of Investment Advisors that provided service to those not deemed high net worth individuals.  In addition, many did not understand the intricacies and complexities of the CSRS and FERS and the specific needs of civil servants.  Alexis then formed Federal Retirement Investment Advisers, LLC, in order to provide financial planning and investment advice to current and former federal employees. He has been investing in the equity markets for 25 years and has a passion for personal finance, the investment markets, and seeing others set goals and achieve their dreams.

Alexis is a Registered Investment Adviser Representative, having passed the Series 65 examination administered by FINRA on his first attempt. He also has the distinctive designation of the Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor℠, the nation’s premier retirement planning credential.  This credential marks him as a specialist rather than a general practitioner in the area of retirement planning.  Alexis takes pride in establishing a rapport with clients by listening to their needs and goals.  He then maps out a game plan to get to where the clients want to be in retirement or any stage of life.


BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Miami
MS, Industrial Engineering, University of Central Florida
Masters of Space Systems, Florida Tech
Masters of Space Systems Management, Florida Tech

CRD Number:



Disclosures: Federal Retirement Investment Advisers, LLC is a registered investment adviser in Orlando, Florida and may only transact business or render personalized investment advice in those states and international jurisdictions where we are registered or otherwise excluded or exempted from registration requirements. Any communications with prospective clients residing in states or international jurisdictions where this firm and its advisory affiliates or registered representatives are not registered or licensed shall be limited so as not to trigger registration or licensing requirements. The purpose of this article is for information distribution on products and services. Nothing in this article is intended as legal or tax advice. Please consult with your independent legal or tax adviser to seek advice based on your particular circumstances. Carefully consider your investment objectives, risk factors, and charges and expenses before investing. Investing involves risk, including possible loss of principal. Diversification and asset allocation may not protect against market risk. For additional information about Federal Retirement Investment Advisers, LLC, including fees and services, please contact our office for our disclosure statements as set forth on Form ADV. Our Form ADV is also available at the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure website (

All Articles
Sort By:
Most Helpful
September 2017
    Personal Finance, Financial Planning
December 2017

All Answers
Sort By:
Most Helpful
    Retirement, Social Security
What will happen to my Social Security benefits if I take a job with less pay?
45% of people found this answer helpful

Thank you for your service!  It's always exciting while a little unnerving to start a new career.


Please keep in mind that your FERS Special Retirement Supplement (SRS) will be reduced by $1 for every $2 you make over the Social Security Income Limit, which is $16,920 for 2017.  So if you make $50,000 in your new position, you would be $33,080 over the limit. Your penalty is 1/2 of that, $16540.  Your SRS would be reduced by $16540.  Once you turn 62, your social security (if you decide to take it) this reduction would continue until you reach your full retirement age.


Now on to your specific question.  Social Security benefits are based on the highest 35 years where you earned the most, inflation adjusted.  So if your income the next few years would replace lower income (possibly early in your career) then yes, your social security benefit would increase.  And yes, you can receive the FERS SRS and then not apply for social security when that comes to an end at age 62.  Hope this helps your decision.  Please consult with a financial professional so you have all the facts about your specific situation that can't be covered in a short Q&A article.

September 2017
    Career / Compensation, 401(k)
Should I sign up for my new employer's 401(k) or save my money for other things?
33% of people found this answer helpful
September 2017
    Retirement, Retirement Savings
What is the right amount to save when aiming for a certain retirement goal?
22% of people found this answer helpful
September 2017
    Retirement, Retirement Plans
How conservative should my portfolio be as I approach retirement?
0% of people found this answer helpful
September 2017
What should I do with my IRA as a stay at home mom?
0% of people found this answer helpful
September 2017