<#-- Rebranding: Header Logo--> <#-- Rebranding: Footer Logo-->

Can I blog about stocks without being a certified financial consultant?

I blog about stocks and companies, but I am not a qualified/certified individual. Could this be considered illegal? Could I be sued by the companies I give stock advice about?

Sort By:
Most Helpful
September 2016


Thanks for the question. You can blog about stocks and companies without holding any securities licenses. Even if you will be compensated, The Investment Advisors Act of 1940 has registration exclusions that may allow individuals to publish newsletters without registration. That said, you should thoroughly research the Investment Advisors Act of 1940 if you are going to start an investment newsletter from which you would earn money. You could also get a lot of free help from your state's securities division. Additionally, if you still have questions or concerns, you could contact a securities lawyer.

As far as if you can be sued by the companies, that is a question for a lawyer.  Congratulations on your blog and good luck!

September 2016