Can I file single if I am legally married but have not lived with spouse for two years?

Marriage / Divorce, Taxes
Sort By:
Most Helpful
May 2016

Not living with your spouse, by itself, is not considered "Single" for tax purposes. In order to file as Single, you must be unmarried, or separated from your spouse by divorce or a separate maintenance decree. You can file "Married Filing Separately", or if you have a dependent you may be able to file "Head of Household". Be sure to consult with your tax advisors about which filing status will save you the most taxes.