How do I choose a good index fund to invest in and where should I buy one?

I am 25 years old and have a decent amount of savings in a variety of different 6-month and 1-year CDs. I would like to move some of my savings into an index fund to get a higher return on my investments. I am wondering what entails a good index fund and how/where I should buy one.

Investing, Starting Out
Answers
Sort By:
Most Helpful
October 2017

You have an lengthy time horizon, which argues strongly for a 100% allocation to equity (stock) investments.  You should consider a combination of investments in the U.S., international developed countries, and international emerging countries.  In all cases, you would want low-cost mutual funds or exchange-traded funds.  For the U.S., take a look at VTI (Vanguard Total Stock Market exchange-traded fund - expense ratio 0.04%).  For overall international, see VXUS (Vanguard Total International Stock Market exchange-trade fund - expense ratio 0.11%).  For emerging markets, VWO (Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets exchange-traded fund - expense ratio 0.14%).  The simple solution for handling your trading would be to go to Vanguard Brokerage Services https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/online-trading/.

Good luck!

October 2017
October 2017
October 2017
October 2017