<#-- Rebranding: Header Logo--> <#-- Rebranding: Footer Logo-->

I've lived in my house for 20 out of 42 months. Can I claim this as my primary residence and take advantage of the $250k waiver on capitol gains?

 I understand the living in it for 2 years out of 5 years but how about almost 2 years out of less than 5 years?

Real Estate
Sort By:
Most Helpful
May 2016

The requirement is at least 2 years.  "Almost 2 years" will trigger tax on the full gain.

There are some partial exclusions if you are military or moving because of special circumstances (job change/health problems)