<#-- Rebranding: Header Logo--> <#-- Rebranding: Footer Logo-->

Is there a US tax impact when repatriating cash from India to the US?

I understand the foreign gift provision under IRS rules, but my question is, what if I transfer cash from my own account in India, to my account in the US? Would it be considered "income" by the IRS?

Financial Planning, International / Global, Taxes
Sort By:
Most Helpful
January 2018

If the cash is simply your savings not your income in India, it is not considered income for U.S. tax purposes. If it comes from a gift or bequest from a foreign source, you just need to report it on Form 3520 if it is over $100,000 from an individual or estate or $15,797 from a foreign entity. 

The U.S. persons are not only taxed on worldwide income but also are subject to certain foregin assets reporting requirements. For your case, if the money in all your financial accounts in India is over $10,000 at any time during the year, you may need to file FinCEN Form 114. If it is over $50,000 (for individual or married filing separately) / $100,000 (for married filing jointly) on the last day of the tax year or more than $75,000 / $150,000 at any time during the tax year, you may also need to file Form 8938. This may not apply to your case, but if you have some investments like mutual funds, you may also need to file Form 8621 which is usually complicated and time-consuming.

Based on the limited information you provide, I can only give you some general guidance here. I always recommend you to consult a tax professional for your specific situation. 

January 2018
January 2018