<#-- Rebranding: Header Logo--> <#-- Rebranding: Footer Logo-->

What is my recourse if someone took out an unsecured loan in my name?

Someone took out an unsecured loan in my name and used false information. I have told the company who did this, but they still expect me to pay. I only live on $14,000 of Social Security per year and I rent a home. What can I do?

Debt, Social Security, Real Estate
Sort By:
Most Helpful
November 2018

I would contact the District Attorney's office and the police to file a report. Share the report with the debt company and take the lead on what to do from the authorities.  You may need this to clean up your credit report which will probably be initially adversely impacted.  You should also alert the credit rating agencies and lock down your information so it can't be used by the same people or others to obtain more loans.