Each strategy has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as specific requirements that investors must follow consistently in order to avoid errors. However, many investors randomly apply these contrary strategies without understanding how that can undermine profitability. Identify whether you are a trend trader or a swing trader in order to hone your strategy correctly.
- Trend traders generally trade up- or downtrends, with trades lasting upwards of months.
- Swing traders generally trade within ranges, buying at support levels and selling at resistance levels. Their trades usually last for the short-term.
- Trend traders tend to focus on broader economic news, while swing traders focus on short-term price changes.
- Relative to trend traders, swing traders trade more frequently and for a shorter time period, while also taking larger positions and being more precise with their position timing.
What Is Market Timing?
Trends and Swings
In theory, the trend trader takes a risk in an uptrend or downtrend, staying positioned until the trend changes. In contrast, the swing trader works within the boundaries of range-bound markets, buying at support and selling at resistance.
Swing trading tends to work best for shorter time frames, while trend-following strategies can be applied for months. However, the lines have blurred in recent decades due to the availability of real-time charting for all time intervals.
Which One Fits Your Style
New and intermediate traders should choose one of these disciplines early in their market educations and stick with it until mastered or until they find out they're better suited to the other approach. Experienced traders can mix and match these strategies at will, often building highly effective hybrids that require strong discipline but produce excellent bottom-line results.
This dual effort works best for those with strong multi-tasking skills who can contain each strategy within its proper boundaries while adjusting risk management to address the unique characteristics of hybrid strategies.
For example, typical long-side swing trades require fast exits at resistance such as old highs, while trend-followers sit on their hands and allow securities to test and break those levels. A hybrid approach might be to sell half the position at resistance, keeping the other half in hope of a breakout.
Trend Trader vs. Swing Trader
Still confused about key differences between swing traders and trend traders? These trading characteristics below will help you identify your current approach.
The 80-20 rule says markets trend about 20% of the time and spends the other 80% grinding through trading ranges, pullbacks, and other counter-trend action that tests boundaries. Price rate of change rises in trends, attracting the trend trader and falls in trading ranges, attracting the swing trader.
The Big Picture
Trend traders watch broad economic, political and environmental issues that might affect position selection or risk management. Swing traders safely ignore these macro influences, focusing squarely on short-term price action.
Swing traders execute more positions but hold them for shorter time frames, while trend traders execute fewer positions but hold them for longer time frames.
Trend traders own or short sell securities with the strongest uptrends and downtrends, while swing traders own or short sell securities sitting at support or resistance levels.
Swing traders hold larger positions for shorter time frames, while trend traders hold smaller positions for longer time frames. Swing traders apply leverage more often than trend traders.
Swing traders seek perfect timing because the average win or loss will be smaller than for trend traders, who can miss the beginning or end of a trend and still book substantial profits.
Trend traders enter positions while momentum is strong or wait for a counter-trend to lower risk. Swing traders take risk at support or resistance, fading the barrier by positioning in the opposite direction and placing stops where they're proven wrong.
Swing traders exit positions when stops are hit or profit targets are reached. Trend traders hold positions until the trend changes, regardless of the time frame. They place stops at the price level that signals the trend change.
The Bottom Line
Swing traders and trend traders execute market timing strategies that require different skill sets. While experienced players can successfully mix and match these strategies, new and intermediate traders should focus on one approach and stick with it until fully mastered.
Whether you're a trend trader or a swing trader, your profitability will depend on your ability to apply an array of technical tools to your analysis of a particular market or security. To learn more, check out the Technical Analysis course on the Investopedia Academy, which includes educational videos and interactive content to help you boost your trading skills.