Why Work at Google?
Google (GOOG) has consistently claimed top spots on Glassdoor's annual list of the 50 best places to work, as well as Fortune magazine's annual list of the 100 best companies for whom to work multiple times over the years. In 2020, Google was listed as number 11 on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work list. This is in part because Google employee benefits are some of the best, offering opportunities for career growth, work that positively impacts the human race, and innovative culture.
Google Employee Benefits
Google has everything that an employee would expect from one of the largest companies in the United States in terms of market capitalization. Bicycles and electric cars to get staff to meetings, gaming centers, organic gardens, and eco-friendly furnishings. Google wants to make its employees' lives easier, and it's constantly searching for ways to improve the health, well-being, and morale of its Googlers.
The portion of time Google hopes employees will spend pursuing innovative ideas which they are passionate about.
Here are some of the perks that come with the job:
- Google offers free food, with various dining halls at the Googleplex catered to all kinds of cuisine. On a given day, there are options ranging from pasta to fresh sushi rolls, sandwiches, salads, and other kinds of Asian cuisine. There are even cafes at Google that allow employees to get a free coffee pick-me-up from a local third-wave cafe, on campus.
- Google offers on-site physicians, nurses, medical services, and health care coverage to keep its employees happy and healthy. Googlers can travel without worries; employees are covered with travel insurance and emergency assistance on both personal and work-related vacations.
- Google offers its employees one of the most innovative work environment cultures. Google cares so much about innovation, that one of its principles encourages Google employees to spend 20% of their time pursuing innovative ideas about which they are passionate about. Products and applications, such as Google News, Google Alerts, and Google Maps Street View, have been born from this principle.
- Google offers shuttle services to employees who work out of its Googleplex so they can avoid long wait times in traffic and even the stress of driving to work. Every morning, big black buses equipped with WiFi pick up employees to get to the office.
- Google also offers some of the best paid parental leave for new parents. Its employees have paid leave up to 18 weeks if the father is the primary caregiver, or seven weeks otherwise. Mothers are still entitled to 22 weeks of maternity leave. Google cares so much about new parents that it offers parents one-on-one consultations to figure out their scheduling for daycare options, money to spend on baby bonding time, and well as four child care centers on one of its campuses.
- Google also offers a Global Education Leave program, which enables employees to take a leave of absence to pursue further education. All of this education is covered by Google.
- Since Google is one of the most well-known technology companies in the world, it offers employees better job prospects should they decide to leave the Googleplex. It also offers growth within the company, whether it be for middle management or higher-level management opportunities.
- Working at Google provides employees with a sense of contributing to the worldwide population. Google employees positively impact society with the applications and technology on which they are working. These technologies would surely benefit the human race; for example, self-driving cars could enable its passengers to catch up on sleep during their commutes. Its accident rate is uncanny, with just a handful of accidents in the more than 20 million miles driven since January 2020, many of which were determined to be caused by human error.
- Google only looks for the best and brightest minds, and employees are always exposed to other amazing employees and intelligent thinkers. Being around other intelligent thinkers allows for a creative work environment, collaboration, and disruptive innovation.
- To help with morale, employees are free to bring their pets to work. Some Googlers describe that being able to bring their pets to work keeps their energy levels up, as well as bringing joy to other employees.
Although there are highly intelligent employees at Google, there is no rocket science that goes into Google offering one of the best work environments. Google simply treats people with respect and supports its employees' creative and innovative endeavors.