Google (GOOG) has claimed the top spot on Glassdoor's annual list of the 50 best places to work, as well as Fortune magazine's annual list of the 100 best companies for whom to work multiple times over the years. This is in part because Google offers some of the best employee perks, opportunities for career growth, work that positively impacts the human race, and innovative culture.
The portion of time Google hopes employees will spend pursuing innovative ideas about which they are passionate.
Google has everything that an employee would expect from one of the largest companies in the United States in terms of market capitalization: Bicycles and electric cars to get staff to meetings, gaming centers, organic gardens, and eco-friendly furnishings. Google wants to make its employees' lives easier, and it's constantly searching for ways to improve the health, well-being, and morale of its Googlers.
- Google offers on-site physicians, nurses, medical services and health care coverage to keep its employees happy and healthy. Googlers can travel without worries; employees are covered with travel insurance and emergency assistance on both personal and work-related vacations.
- Google also offers some of the best paid parental leave for new parents. Its employees have paid leave up to 18 weeks if the father is the primary caregiver. Mothers are still entitled to 22 weeks of maternity leave. Google cares so much about new parents that it offers parents one-on-one consultations to figure out their scheduling for daycare options, $500 to spend on baby bonding time and well as four child care centers on one of its campuses.
- Google even offers death benefits to deceased employees' families. If a Google employee passes away, his or her domestic partner or spouse receives a check for 50% of the employee's salary every year for 10 years. In addition, surviving spouses see all of the deceased employee's stock option immediately vested. Children of a deceased employee receive $1,000 per month from Google until they reach the age of 19, or 23 if they are full-time students.
- Google also offers a Global Education Leave program, which enables employees to take a leave of absence to pursue further education. All of this education is covered by Google.
- Since Google is one of the most well-known technology companies in the world, it offers employees better job prospects should they decide to leave the Googleplex. It also offers growth within the company, whether it be for middle management or higher-level management opportunities.
- Working at Google provides employees with a sense of contributing to the worldwide population. Google employees positively impact society with the applications and technology on which they are working. These technologies would surely benefit the human race; for example, self-driving cars could enable its passengers to catch up on sleep during their commutes. Its accident rate is uncanny, with just a handful of accidents in 1.7 million miles driven, many of which were determined to be caused by human error. Google is developing new wearable technology—contact lenses with technology that could read the user's blood glucose level, which is highly beneficial to diabetics.
- Google only looks for the best and brightest minds, and employees are always exposed to other amazing employees and intelligent thinkers. Being around other intelligent thinkers allows for a creative work environment, collaboration and disruptive innovation.
- Google offers its employees one of the most innovative work environment cultures. Google cares so much about innovation that it has set forth nine principles of innovation. One of the principles encourages Google employees to spend 20% of their time pursuing innovative ideas about which they are passionate. Products and applications, such as Google News, Google Alerts and Google Maps Street View, have been born from this principle.
- To help with morale, employees are free to bring their pets to work. Some Googlers describe that being able to bring their pets to work keeps their energy levels up, as well as bringing joy to other employees.
Although there are highly intelligent employees at Google, there is no rocket science that goes into Google offering one of the best work environments. Google simply treats people with respect and supports its employees' creative and innovative endeavors.