Are your investments spread out in lots of places? Are your 401(k) plans, trading accounts, and savings accounts located at different institutions? If that’s the case, then you likely receive separate updates for each on the status of the accounts, which can get confusing. It can also be difficult to know exactly where you stand in regards to net worth.
1. Personal Capital
Personal Capital is one of the best portfolio and investment management software available. The free and easy-to-use platform allows you to track and manage your money with all your financial accounts in one single place, including your 401(k), IRA, individual retirement account, investment accounts, bank accounts, and credit card accounts.
- Savings and retirement planner to help you meet your retirement goals.
- Budgeting tool to organize your spending by date, category, or merchant.
- 30-days cash-flow tracker.
- Education planner to estimate what you need to cover education costs.
- Investment Checkup tool that allows you to analyze and compare your current investment portfolio allocation to the ideal target, to minimize risk and maximize returns.
Check Personal Capital for more info.
2. Quicken Premier 2022
Similar to Personal Capital, the software syncs all your accounts to get a comprehensive view of your investments in a single dashboard. With Quicken Premier you can check balances, budgets, accounts, search transactions, analyze your spending trends, and monitor your investment performance over time, allowing you to maximize your investments and even minimize your taxes on investments and make tax prep easier. One of the most attractive features is an online app to manage your money on the go across desktop+web+mobile.
- Easily set up stock watch lists to take advantage of potential opportunities.
- View all investment fees together to understand true market returns.
- Export register transactions to Excel.
- Email reports directly from Quicken.
- Add Bill Pay “favorites” into Bills dashboard.
- See all your reminders in a single Bills dashboard.
- Updated tax rates and mileage rates.
Check Quicken Premier for more info.
3. Morningstar Portfolio Manager
- The Basic option is free. It has limited features but is suitable for beginning investors.
- The Premium version has a 14-day free trial. If you choose to continue, the price is $29.95/mo. or $199/yr.
This portfolio manager and analyzer lets investors choose between importing or manually entering each of their investments into its Portfolio Manager tool. The tool allows you to track your investment portfolio, create watchlists of potential opportunities, and evaluate your investment strategy.
- Investment tracking of all stocks, bonds, and cash, showing price, percentage change, share information, market value, asset allocation percent, and Morningstar fund rating. The Premium version includes a portfolio analysis report.
- The Morningstar X-Ray tool shows how your investments in aggregate are positioned, including asset allocation, stock sector, and stock type. The Premium version offers an in-depth analysis.
- The Premium subscription also features fund and stock screening, fundamental analysis
ratios, portfolio X-Ray interpretation with style, financial ratio, and expense analysis.
Check Morningstar Portfolio Manager for more info.
The Mint personal finance app is free, intuitive, and offers basic tools suitable for beginning investors. Like Personal Capital and Quicken, it gives you an overall picture of all your finances (cash, credit cards, investments, and bills) in one single place. Mint stands out for its customized features, like personalized insights, custom budgets, spend tracking, and more.
- Personalized Mintsights™ that let you know the savings you missed.
- Budget planner with custom goals to improve your spending habits.
- Bill tracker and overdraft protection alerts.
- Free 24/7 access to your credit score.
Check Mint for fore info.
Price: 14-day trial for $1 and then $15/mo. or $150/yr.
Described as "the world's most modern portfolio tracker", Kubera is suitable for those advanced investors who want greater detail into their investments. What makes Kubera "modern" is its crypto component, as it allows you to track and check the latest value of your crypto as well as traditional assets. This portfolio manager supports global banks, brokerages, stocks, and currencies, as it's as simple to use as a spreadsheet.
- Stock portfolio tracker that allows you to connect your online brokerage accounts or add stock tickers to check their latest values.
- Crypto assets tracker. Kubera supports DeFi assets on multiple chains like Ethereum, BSC, and Polygon.
- Bank Accounts tracker that connects to over 20,000 banks worldwide.
- Track your home and vehicle value, as well as metals and domains with the latest market data.
Check Kubera for more info.
Price: There is a free plan and three paid plans, Essentials, Premium, and Premium Plus. Each paid plan offers a different level of features, at a different price point.
- Essentials: $7.99/mo. or $79.99/yr.
- Premium: $17.99/mo. or $179.99/yr.
- Premium Plus: $27.99/mo. or $279.99/yr.
The advanced analysis tools of the StockRover Portfolio Manager make this another suitable choice for those in need of a more comprehensive and detailed analysis of their investment portfolio. You can connect your brokerage data, enter it manually, or use a spreadsheet to analyze your portfolio. StockRover supports a variety of accounts including Charles Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade, E*Trade, and more.
- Portfolio performance analysis vs. specific benchmarks to make investment decisions.
- Fast, easy, and secure brokerage integration with 1000+ supported brokerages.
- Automatic daily, weekly, or monthly reports showing your portfolio performance or your watchlists, including any stocks that you have set target buy or sell target prices that have reached those targets.
- Detailed portfolio analytics for any chosen time period, including risk-adjusted return, volatility, beta, personal rate of return (IRR), Sharpe Ratio, component performance, and more.
- Future income tool that projects your future portfolio dividend income forward from the current date on a monthly basis.
Check StockRover for more info.
The Bottom Line
The best portfolio management software depends on your situation and goals. The right portfolio management software for someone else might not be the best solution for you. Be sure to study each option and get a little deeper prior to making any purchases. Also strongly consider taking advantage of any available free trials.