Steps to Replace or Renew Your Green Card

Green card holders are acutely aware of how important their green card is since it grants them permanent residency and permission to work within the United States. In fact, when traveling outside of the US, it must be presented to reenter.

If a green card (Form I-551) is lost, stolen, or destroyed, it must be replaced immediately. The cardholder should promptly file a police report, which can subsequently be provided as evidence when requesting a replacement. The police report helps substantiate that the card was not sold. If requesting a replacement card under a new name (e.g. marriage, divorce, etc.), the application should be completed under the new name.

A green card is valid for 10 years. It is advised that cardholders file for a new one within six months of its expiration date (filing is prohibited earlier than six months before expiration).

Key Takeaways

  • You must replace your green card if it is either expired or will expire within the next six months.
  • You must also replace your green card if it was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed.
  • To replace your green card, you will need to complete and file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, online or by mail.

The Process

The I-90 green card application is used for new requests, replacements, name changes, and renewals. This form can be obtained directly from a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office, requested to be mailed by calling 800-375-5283, or downloaded from the USCIS website using the latest version of Adobe Reader.

It is important to scan or capture an image of your green card. Can’t do that at home? There are many facilities—the library, copy and printing shop, etc.—that can do it for you. That way, if lost, you will have access to all the numbers and other information needed to replace it. Most importantly, a copy of the card must be submitted with the replacement application.

Some of I-90’s “Hard” Questions

Below we explain some of the questions from the I-90 application that might seem difficult to answer if you're unfamiliar with the form. The USCIS also provides application instructions that provide the applicant with useful information on how to complete the form.

Part 1, Item 1: Alien Registration Number (A-Number). This is the 8 or 9-digit number on the green card under “USCIS#.”

Part 1, Item 2: USCIS Online Account Number (if any). If the cardholder has used the USCIS online filing system on a prior occasion—previously called the USCIS Electronic Immigration System or USCIS ELIS—they will have an account number issued by the system. If not, leave blank.

Part 1, Item 14: Class of admission. This appears on the green card under “Category.” It is usually one or two letters followed by a number (e.g., NP5). 

Part 1, Item 15: Date of admission. This is located on the green card under “Resident since.” 

Part 3, Item 1: Location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status. Provide the location of the U.S. embassy, U.S. consulate, or USCIS office where the original application was filed. “Adjustment of status” means the applicant was already in the U.S. under another immigration status when the application was filed for the green card.

Part 3, Item 2: Location where your immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status. Provide the location of the U.S. embassy, consulate, or USCIS office where the cardholder was issued an immigrant visa or granted permanent resident status.

Part 3, Item 3a: Destination in the United States at time of admission. This is only completed if the applicant entered the U.S. with an immigrant visa. In short, where was the applicant planning to go?

Part 3, Item 3a1: Port-of-Entry where admitted to the United States. This is answered only if the applicant entered with an immigrant visa. (What city did the applicant arrive in? Indicate the type of port-of-entry, such as an airport, bridge, or tunnel.) 

Cost and Next Steps

The application fee is $455. An additional fee of $85 for biometric services (fingerprinting, photographing, and capturing your signature) may also be required. An appointment for these services will be established once the form has been processed.

How Long Is the Wait for My New Card?

As of Dec. 2, 2021, the processing time for an application to replace a permanent resident card (I-90) was estimated to take seven to 13 months. Unfortunately, there’s no way to expedite it as all applications go through the same process. The progress of the application can be checked using the USCIS online electronic immigration system.

Proof of Status Before the Card Arrives

Sometimes, proof of status is needed (e.g., travel and employment) before the card arrives. To obtain proof, take a passport to the biometrics appointment and request that an official stamp it indicating that you have permanent resident status and have filed for a new card.

The Bottom Line

Replacing or renewing a green card is neither fast nor cheap; however, it is relatively simple for most. It is imperative to always have a copy of the current green card in the event the original is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

If you have extraordinary factors, such as a criminal record, it may be best to consult an immigration lawyer. 

Article Sources
Investopedia requires writers to use primary sources to support their work. These include white papers, government data, original reporting, and interviews with industry experts. We also reference original research from other reputable publishers where appropriate. You can learn more about the standards we follow in producing accurate, unbiased content in our editorial policy.
  1. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "Replace Your Green Card."

  2. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "How Do I Renew or Replace My Permanent Resident Card?," Page 1.

  3. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "USCIS Contact Center."

  4. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card."

  5. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)."

  6. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "Check Case Processing Times."

  7. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "How to Create a USCIS Online Account."