While financial advisors do not have to be licensed to provide advice, they are generally required to have various securities licenses in order to sell investment products. The specific products that an advisor plans to sell, as well as the method by which they receive compensation, determines which licenses are required to be obtained.

Here is an overview of a number of common licenses held by financial advisors in the United States. These include the Series 6, Series 7, Series 63 and Series 65 licenses.

Series 6 License

Administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or FINRA, the Series 6 enables financial advisors to sell packaged securities, such as mutual funds and variable annuities. A financial advisor with only a Series 6 may not sell individual stocks or bonds.

Many advisors start by obtaining a Series 6 before moving on to the more comprehensive and difficult-to-obtain Series 7. By doing so, they can get hands-on experience and even sell a limited range of products while studying for the Series 7.

Series 7 License

The Series 7 is the gold standard of financial advisor licenses. Also administered by FINRA, this license enables an advisor to sell nearly every type of investment product. A Series 7 licensee may sell stocks, bonds, options and futures. The license also authorizes the sale of packaged securities, even if you do not carry an active Series 6 license. The only securities the Series 7 does not cover are commodities, which require a Series 3 license, as well as real estate and life insurance, both of which have their own licenses.

Because the Series 7 confers such broad authority, it is by far the most difficult license for a financial advisor to obtain.

Beginning in October 2018, FINRA is creating a new Securities Industry Essentials (SIE) exam that will become a co-requisite to the revised Series 7 exam. Candidates will be required to pass both the Series 7 and the SIE exam to obtain their general securities registration.

Series 63 License

Every state requires a Series 63 license for financial advisors to conduct business within its borders. This is an exam you must pass in addition to the Series 7 or Series 6. It is shorter and easier, lasting only 75 minutes, but covers a lot of minutiae regarding laws and regulations, some of which has been known to trip up test-takers.

Series 65 License

States also require the Series 65 but only for financial advisors compensated with fees as opposed to commission. Like the Series 63, this exam is heavy on rules and regulations, as the rules differ greatly for advisors who do not get paid on commission. Notably, individuals who hold a professional designation like the CFA or CFP may be eligible to have their Series 65 requirement waived by FINRA.

That said, much of the material on the Series 65 is a rehash of what an advisor has already seen on the Series 7 and, therefore, the test is considered rather easy to pass when taken subsequently. Most advisors who take both exams take the Series 7 first. The Series 65 can be difficult for the small percentage of advisors who take it without having passed the Series 7.

  1. The FINRA Series 6 and Series 7 exams: The differences

    Learn about the regulatory exams needed to become a registered representative and the main differences between the Financial ... Read Answer >>
  2. Licenses for hedge fund manager

    Obtain the pertinent information about the various types of licenses a hedge fund manager needs to have to legally operate ... Read Answer >>
  3. What major is required to take the Series 7 examination?

    Find out what educational requirements are needed for the Series 7 exam. Learn about the new Securities Industry Essentials ... Read Answer >>
Related Articles
  1. Financial Advisor

    Breaking Down Financial Securities Licenses

    Find out which exam you need to begin your career as an investment professional.
  2. Personal Finance

    The Series 79 Exam: What It Is And When You Need It

    If you're getting into the field of investment banking, you'll need to know all about the Series 79.
  3. Financial Advisor

    Series 24 Exam Prep: Stock Exchanges

    Before you take the series 24, you need to understand exchanges, listing requirements and much more.
  4. Financial Advisor

    Should you add a securities license to your qualifications?

    Clients love planners who sell securities, but a securities license takes a lot of work. Learn if the stress and study are worth it.
  5. Personal Finance

    CFA Vs. Series 7: Which is Easier

    Find out which is exam is easier: The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam, or the Series 7 securities exam for registered representatives.
  6. Insights

    FINRA Files Plans to Change Series 7 and Other Exams

    New details have emerged on the Securities Industry Essentials Exam required for becoming a registered representative.
  7. Financial Advisor

    Sell-Side Analysts Need Series 86/87 Exams

    Though these tests are not particularly difficult or comprehensive, passing them is mandatory to work as a sell-side analyst.
  8. Financial Advisor

    Series 66 Exam Prep: The Broker-Dealer

    Before you take the series 66, you need to understand civil liabilities.
  9. Investing

    Stockbroker Vs. Financial Advisor Careers

    Get a detailed comparison between life as a stockbroker versus a financial advisor and find out how the two careers differ and may be best for you.
  10. Small Business

    The Licenses and Permits You Need For Your Home-Based Business

    For anyone considering starting a home-based business, here's important information on business licenses and permits you need to operate legally.
  1. Series 72

    The Series 72 is a FINRA licensing exam for individuals who want ...
  2. Series 66

    The Series 66 is an exam and license that is meant to qualify ...
  3. Series 39

    The Series 39 exam tests a person's knowledge of how to perform ...
  4. Series 79

    The Series 79 exam is an examination to determine whether a registered ...
  5. Series 65

    The Series 65 is an exam and securities license required by most ...
  6. Series 82

    The Series 82 is a certification giving financial professionals ...
Trading Center