We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
If you are a AAA member, Auto Club offers excellent car insurance coupled with exclusive AAA benefits. However, watch out for the service area because Auto Club has regional coverage and is not available to everyone.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
Tons of membership benefits
Limited service area
Poor customer satisfaction
Must be a member of AAA
- Insurance policies from AAA are underwritten by a number of companies, including Auto Club Group Insurance Company.
- AAA has 60 million members and is comprised of 25 clubs.
- AAA membership is required, but membership comes with a variety of benefits.
- AAA has industry-leading roadside assistance along with 17 discounts to help you save.
- Year Founded 1902
- Types of Coverage Liability, Collision, Comprehensive, Medical Payments, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist, Personal Injury Protection
- Available Discounts 17
- Purchasing Options Phone, local agent
- Customer Service New members: 1-800-JOIN-AAA (564-6222) Existing members: 1-800-222-1134
- Official Website https://member.acg.aaa.com/
- Tons of membership benefits: When you are a AAA member, you receive exclusive access to all sorts of member benefits, including auto repair discounts, travel perks, and online shopping savings.
- Mobile app: Not all insurance companies have a mobile app, but Auto Club has one that is compatible with both iPhone and Android systems.
- Regional coverage: Auto Club Group services different areas through its regional companies like Auto Club South Insurance Company and Auto Club Insurance Company of Florida.
- Must be a member of AAA: You must be a member to purchase auto insurance from Auto Club Group.
- Limited service area: Auto Club is limited to just 14 states and Puerto Rico.
- Poor customer satisfaction: Auto Club rates poorly in J.D. Power's 2021 U.S. Auto insurance Study with a below average score in multiple regions.
Auto Club Group is the second-largest of AAA’s 25 clubs and is one of the underwriters for AAA car insurance. The American Automobile Association (AAA) is one of the most popular companies today for insurance, banking, travel, and a number of other services.
Under AAA, Auto Club Group offers car insurance in 14 states and Puerto Rico. In addition to the standard types of car insurance, there is the option for personal injury protection and gap coverage. Auto Club also specializes in more unique types of coverage, like full glass repair and custom and electronic coverage. Customers can also benefit from roadside assistance, along with auto loans and auto buying services.
AAA uses several companies to underwrite its insurance policies, including Auto Club Group.
Auto Group is a member of AAA, a leading insurance company in the U.S. today, with national headquarters in Heathrow, Florida. Founded in 1902, AAA began with just 1,500 members. By 1940, membership had grown to one million members, with 60 million members by 2019.
AAA’s membership includes 25% of U.S. households. More than 28% of passenger vehicles in North America belong to AAA members and its roadside assistance program servicing almost 33 million motorists. It has 1.6 million property and casualty insurance policies in force. Not all AAA members are insurance customers.
Auto Club Group, a subsidiary of AAA, provides over 9.8 million people with car insurance, financial services, travel assistance, and more. You must be a AAA member to purchase auto insurance and benefit from its services or join at the time of purchasing.
Auto Club Group is available in 14 states and Puerto Rico: Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin.
Looking for more options? See our list of the best car insurance companies.
Types of Coverage
Auto Club insures a variety of vehicles, including motorcycles, RVs, campers, and boats. For its auto insurance, members have several types of coverage to choose from. Take note that coverage types may vary depending on your state of residence.
If you are found at fault for an accident, liability coverage will help pay for expenses. Bodily injury liability provides compensation for bodily injury to passengers of the other vehicle, while property damage liability covers physical damage to the other vehicle.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal injury protection is also known as no-fault insurance, which means that medical expenses and lost wages are covered, regardless of who caused the accident.
Collision coverage pays for property damages resulting from a vehicle collision.
Comprehensive coverage handles damages related to non-collision events, such as fire, theft, vandalism, and glass breakage.
Medical payments coverage reimburses medical expenses resulting from an auto accident.
If you happen to be involved in an accident with a driver who has little or no car insurance, you may not receive compensation for your damages. However, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage accounts for this risk, providing added protection in case the other driver cannot pay for your damages.
Cars begin to depreciate the minute you leave the lot, so if you total your car, you could end up owing more to your lender than the balance of your lease or loan. Also called New Car Replacement coverage, this is a way to ensure you are not financially responsible for any differences between your policy coverage and the remaining loan or lease.
Custom, Electronic, or Extra Equipment Coverage
If you have after-factory upgrades to your vehicle, Auto Club offers Custom, Electronic, or Extra Equipment Coverage. This provides higher limits for certain non-factory installed items attached to your vehicle.
Car Rental Coverage
Car rental coverage will pay for your car rental if your vehicle requires more than 24 hours of repair. It applies to any losses incurred by your collision or comprehensive coverage.
There are several ways to save on an auto insurance policy from Auto Club Group.
- AAA Membership Discount: A discount that rewards you based upon the number of years you've been an AAA member.
- Paperless Discount: Receive your documents electronically and save. This is required in the Essentials plan.
- Advanced Purchase Discount: Save money for purchasing your insurance a certain number of days in advance of the start date.
- Pay In Full Discount: Get a discount for paying your whole premium within seven days of the policy going into effect.
- Automatic Payment Deduction: Save money for enrolling in automatic payment deductions.
- AAA Safety Inspection Discount: Save if your vehicle has passed an AAA safety inspection.
- AAADrive Discount: Earn a discount for letting them track your driving through your phone.
- Multiple-Product Discount: Save money when you insurance something else with AAA such as a home.
- Deductible Savings: Select a higher deductible to save money.
- Multiple-Car Savings: Save when you ensure more than one vehicle.
- Education/Occupation Discount: Based on your attained education level and occupation.
- New Young Driver Discount: On existing policies when a new young driver under 20 is added to the policy.
- Good Student Discount: For students who maintain a B (3.0) or better grade point average.
- Student Away Discount: A discount for when students are living away at school without a vehicle.
- Prior Insurance Tenure: When you switch to AAA and had no lapse in coverage with your prior carrier.
- Vehicle Safety Discount: For vehicles that have certain factory installed safety devices.
- Anti-Theft Discount: For vehicles equipped with a theft prevention or theft recovery device.
Billing options include phone, mail, and online payments. AAA’s convenience billing program allows you to automatically renew your AAA membership from year to year using a credit card on file. Similarly you can use autopay for your insurance coverage too.
Auto Club covers many regions, and the mailing addresses and phone numbers for payment vary by region and other factors. Online payments are simplest, but if you need to mail or call in a payment, refer to your regional AAA website for the proper contact information.
A company’s loss ratio is a great indicator of fair pricing. When a company has a lower loss ratio, it should offer lower prices to correspond with those savings. Auto Club has a 63.55% loss ratio, which is about on par with the rest of the industry.
With your membership, you have access to AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities, plus AAA roadside assistance. Other benefits include access to exclusive itineraries through AAA Vacations, plus special discounts and AAA Dollars with more than 2,000 retailers. AAA even offers free career assistance.
You will need to become a member to enjoy AAA’s exclusive benefits.
There are several departments to help with your Auto Club policy and AAA membership. Take note that certain contact numbers and hours of operation may be region-specific, and you may need to reroute to your own region. If you’re unsure, call the number for new or existing AAA membership services.
|AAA New Membership Services||1-800-JOIN-AAA (1-800-564-6222)||Monday–Friday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Saturday–Sunday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Holiday hours vary|
|AAA Existing Membership Services||1-800-222-1134||Monday–Friday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Saturday–Sunday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Holiday hours vary|
|New Policy/Request Quote||1-877-288-4546||Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday–Sunday: 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Holiday hours vary|
|Policy Inquiry||1-800-891-4222||Monday–Friday: 8 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Saturday-Sunday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.|
|Tech Support||1-877-736-7813||Monday–Friday: 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Holiday hours vary|
|AAA Roadside Service||1-800-222-4357||24/7|
Financial Strength Rating
Auto Club’s AM Best rating shows financial strength and stability. The higher the rating, the more reliable the company typically is in paying claims. Auto Club has an A (Excellent) rating, showing that this company is financially strong and reliable.
J.D. Power is another popular ratings provider that assesses insurers based on customer satisfaction. Its 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study only includes Auto Club in a few regions. In Florida and the North Central region, Auto Club Group received last place.
In J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Insurance Digital Experience Study, Auto Club received well-below-average scores and ranked near the bottom for both service and shopping experience.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) tracks the number of customer complaints that an insurance company receives each year and assigns a complaint index using a baseline score of 1.00 for all providers.
Auto Club had far below the industry average for complaints in 2019 with an index of 0.29. However, since then, things have not gone well for the company. In 2020, they received an above average number of complaints and had an index of 1.79. In 2021, their index got even worse and skyrocketed to 3.53. This means they have been receiving far more complaints than what is average for a company of their size.
Your Auto Club account is available online via AAA. This is where you can make changes to your policy information, review coverage details, and file claims. You can also get in touch with an Auto Club representative for help with questions or issues.
Account management is made much easier with the addition of the AAA Mobile app. It not only lets you access account information, but it also helps with 24/7 claims support, roadside assistance, nearby discounts, and travel exclusives. It is available for download from both the App Store and Google Play.
How Auto Club Compares to Other Auto Insurance Companies
Our internal 2021 study found that Auto Club holds 11th place in national market share rankings among large insurance companies. The average cost of car insurance premiums from Auto Club is $3,906 per year, putting it at the higher end of its competitors. It is far more expensive than USAA, Alfa, Erie, and Auto-Owners. However, it is cheaper than Mercury and CSAA Insurance.
Auto Club is an excellent choice if you want to benefit from the many advantages that come with a AAA membership. Coverage varies by region, but there are many local agents available to help you find the right protection for your family. However, while Auto Club is financially solid, its customer satisfaction ratings have been less than impressive, as it received poor rankings by J.D. Power and a high complaint index in 2020 and 2021 from the NAIC.
All of our reviews of auto insurance companies are based on extensive research and analysis of each company’s coverage, customer service, pricing, years in business, accreditation, and more. To rate Auto Club Group and other providers, we developed an auto insurance review methodology that compares the auto insurance coverage types, additional features, discounts, account management, and reported customer experiences to help us provide insights into things like customer service and the strength of each company’s offerings.