We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
Banfield Pet Hospital’s Optimum Wellness Plans can help spread out the costs of routine and preventative care. The plans may only be used at Banfield hospitals.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Key Facts
Covers preventive and routine care
Customizable with multiple tiers and add-ons
No waiting periods
Only applies to care at Banfield hospitals
Does not cover any accidents or illnesses
Some critical services are not covered or require an add-on
- Banfield does not provide pet insurance—it offers wellness coverage plans.
- Preventive and routine care are vital, and these plans may make them more accessible for pet owners.
- The plans are only available for dogs and cats.
- Coverage is limited to Banfield hospitals only.
- Year Founded 1955
- Kinds of Plans Wellness
- Number of Plans 5
- Payment Plan Options Monthly
- Customer Service Email, phone: (866) 277-7387
- Official Website banfield.com/
- Covers preventive and routine care: Unlike insurance plans, the entire purpose of the Optimum Wellness Plans is to cover routine care for your pet. The plans may help owners budget and stretch out payments for services with a monthly fee, as opposed to paying for larger amounts all at once.
- Customizable with multiple tiers and add-ons: The Banfield plans are available in several different tiers, with higher tiers costing more and covering more services. You can also add on coverage for parasite prevention products, spaying, and neutering.
- No waiting periods: Banfield’s coverage begins immediately upon enrollment.
- Only applies to care at Banfield hospitals: Because this is an in-house payment plan, you won’t get coverage for treatment at any other hospital or clinic other than Banfield. This can be an issue if you want to switch veterinarians or can’t get to a Banfield hospital.
- Does not cover any accidents or illnesses: Unlike typical pet insurance accident and illness plans, Banfield does not cover any veterinary care that your pet requires for an injury or illness.
- Some critical services are not covered or require an add-on: Important preventive surgeries, such as spaying and neutering, are not covered in the base plans. Dental care is not covered in all of the packages, and treatments for issues found during a cleaning (extractions, etc.) are not covered at all.
Banfield Pet Hospitals offer wellness plans with multiple levels to help to cover the costs of routine veterinary care. Plans are available for young pets and adults, but they can only be used in Banfield hospitals.
Founded in Portland, Oregon in 1955, Banfield is a corporation that owns and operates more than 1,000 veterinary clinics in the United States. In 2007, it was bought by the Mars Corporation, the company behind M&M's, Snickers, and Twix.
Although Banfield hospitals will treat a variety of pets, the Optimum Wellness Plans are only available for dogs and cats. You can enroll at a Banfield hospital or online; plans are available to residents of all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia., but they only cover services performed at Banfield hospitals. See the kinds of services offered and check for nearby Banfield hospitals to see if it could be a reasonable option.
Banfield offers five Optimum Wellness Plans: three for adult dogs and cats, and two for puppies and kittens under six months old.
- Dog/Cat wellness plans: Active Care, Active Care Plus, Special Care
- Puppy/Kitten wellness plans: Early Care, Early Care Plus
Covered treatments and coverage limits will vary depending on the plan and plan level you choose. Some covered services are limited to a certain number of occasions per year, and if your pet requires more you’ll have to pay out of pocket. If your pet requires a service that is not included in your chosen package, Banfield may offer a percentage discount.
|Covered Treatment||Early Care||Active Care||Special Care|
|24/7 Banfield VetChat/virtual visits||✓||✓||✓|
|Pet Wellness 1:1||✓||✓||✓|
|Office visits/physical exams||✓||✓||✓|
|Dental prophylaxis||✓ (Plus only)||✓|
|Spay/neuter||✓ (Plus only)||Add-On||Add-On|
|Urine Testing||✓ (Plus only)||✓|
|Eye pressure test||✓|
|Banfield discounts||5% (10% with Plus)||10% (15% with Plus)||20%|
Banfield’s Optimum Wellness Plans only cover preventative treatments—see our selections for the best pet insurance companies for plans that cover accidents and illnesses as well.
You can add the following coverages to your plan if you wish, for an additional cost:
- Parasite prevention treatment, such as for heartworm, fleas, and ticks
- Spaying and neutering surgery (already covered in the Early Care Plus plan)
One nice feature of Banfield wellness plans is that there is no waiting period for coverage. Once enrolled, pets may be seen at a Banfield hospital for preventative and routine care immediately.
According to Banfield customer support, if you wish to cancel your Banfield plan you can:
- Use the online customer portal
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call (888) 649-2716
Be aware that there have been many complaints filed against Banfield for issues with cancellations and continued unwanted.
Any veterinary services that are needed as a result of injury or illness, from exams to testing and medications, will not be covered. This program is for wellness care only. Be sure to understand which services are covered and at what level.
That means you won’t get coverage for some common situations that may be covered by pet insurance companies, like:
- Behavioral problems
- Rehabilitation/alternative care
- Genetic conditions
- Cancer/chronic conditions
Because these plans only cover preventative care, pre-existing conditions are not applicable.
Banfield wellness plans are subscribed to under an annual agreement, paid for with a monthly draft of your account. You’ll also pay a one-time enrollment fee.
We found an average monthly price of $50.62 for Banfield’s adult pet plans, using an average of three adult pet personas (two dogs and a cat). Your monthly price depends on which plan tier you choose, along with factors like the age and breed of your pet and your residential area.
Banfield offers a price estimator tool to help you figure out prices in your area for the services it offers.
As an in-clinic wellness-only plan, there is no need to ever file a claim. You can take advantage of your plan benefits when you and your pet visit Banfield hospitals.
If you need to contact customer service, you may call, email, or fill out the query form on the website. If your pet is currently enrolled in a wellness plan you will have access to a virtual chat option called “VetChat."
- Phone: (866) 277-7387
- Email: OWP@banfield.com
For general questions about your plan:
- Phone: 866-935-5738
- Email: CST.email@example.com
For billing questions:
- Phone: (888) 649-2716
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Banfield Pet Hospitals as a whole don’t do very well when it comes to third-party rating agencies. Banfield has a Trustpilot score of only 1.4 out of five, and Consumer Affairs gives it 3.8 out of five, although many of the reviews refer to hospital service rather than wellness plans.
If you’re looking to purchase wellness coverage for your pet, it is paramount to know what the plan covers and excludes. It’s also important to learn how you’ll be charged, if you’ll be expected to pay upfront and be reimbursed, and if it’s possible to cancel without paying extra fees.
Because so many veterinary fees come as a result of an accident, injury, or illness, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a traditional pet insurance plan and add on wellness coverage. This will protect your pet and typically gives you the freedom to use any veterinarian you wish.
Want to see some of those other options? Check out our picks for the top pet insurance companies on the market today.
|Annual Deductible Options||N/A||$250 out-of-pocket||$0 to $2,500|
|Average Claim Turnaround Time||N/A||1–30 days||10 days|
|Illness Waiting Period||None||30 days||14 days|
|Injury Waiting Period||None||30 days||None|
|Dental Illness Coverage||No||Yes||Yes|
|Max Enrollment Age Limit||None||None||None|
Banfield’s Optimum Wellness Plans can be a helpful way to break up the cost of preventive care for your pet over the course of a year. It may make it easier to keep up with such care as well. However, the plan will not necessarily save money if pet parents don’t utilize enough of the offered care. Lower-cost preventive care may be available elsewhere for lower prices, even without a plan. And the fact that your pet has to be treated at a Banfield drastically limits veterinarian choice, so care may be unavailable if you move or travel; all services are offered at Banfield’s set prices and you can’t shop around.
Additionally, the Banfield wellness plans will do nothing to aid in the costs resulting from any accident, injury, or illness your pet sustains. You’ll have to look for another wellness provider or insurance company for that.
Our Methodology: How We Review Pet Insurance Carriers
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of pet insurance companies. We rated 25 providers and collected over 2,000 data points, including information about plan options, company features, and fees and limits, to ensure that our reviews help users make informed decisions for their pet insurance needs.
Our full pet insurance methodology, including our data collection process and weighted data points, is available for review.