Barclays Bank is the U.S. subsidiary of Barclays PLC. It is located in Wilmington, Del., but its parent company began in 1690 and is headquartered in the U.K. in London. In the U.S. Barclays Bank is an online-only bank that offers competitive interest rates on deposit accounts and co-branded credit cards that earn cash back and rewards. This in-depth review can help you decide if its deposit accounts are right for you.
Investopedia is committed to providing our readers with unbiased product recommendations. We may receive compensation when you click on links to products, but this doesn’t affect how we rate, review, and rank them.
Competitive interest rates
No monthly fees or minimum opening deposit requirements
Lucrative credit card rewards
No brick-and-mortar branches
No checking accounts
Personal loans by invitation only
- Competitive interest rates – Savers looking for a high rate of interest on their savings accounts and certificates of deposit (CDs) will find them with Barclays.
- No monthly fees or minimum opening deposit requirements – Barclays does not require a minimum deposit when opening a new savings account or CD. There are no monthly service charges either, so you don’t have to meet a minimum balance requirement.
- Lucrative credit card rewards – Barclays has numerous credit cards that offer rewards, cash back, and special financing promotions.
- No brick-and-mortar branches – If you have a question about your account, you cannot speak to someone in person. Instead, you’ll need to call Barclays or send it a message online or through its mobile app.
- No checking accounts – Consumers looking to have one bank for all of their needs should look elsewhere. Barclays does not offer checking accounts or many of the lending products you’d find at a traditional bank.
- Personal loans by invitation only – Although Barclays does some lending, you cannot apply for a personal loan unless the bank sends you an invitation.
Who Is Barclays Bank Best For?
Barclays Bank should appeal to most consumers who want an online bank account with competitive interest rates and no monthly fees. It may be a good fit if you:
- Are you not looking to replace your checking account
- Do not need to visit a branch
- Want competitive interest rates on your savings and CDs
- Need an account with no opening deposit requirement
- Don’t want to worry about a monthly service charge
- Want to earn rewards from your credit cards
What Does Barclays Bank Offer?
Barclays Bank is an online-only bank that focuses on savings and CD deposit accounts. It also has credit cards and personal loans (by invitation only), but it does not offer checking accounts or other lending products.
Barclays’ high-yield savings account offers a competitive annual percentage yield (APY) of 1.00% that is substantially higher than the national average of 0.06% (as of July 6, 2020), though a bit less than the best online savings accounts currently going. It does not have a minimum deposit requirement, and there are no monthly service fees. You can transfer funds online to and from other banks or set up direct deposit into your account.
|BARCLAYS BANK SAVINGS ACCOUNTS|
|ACCOUNT NAME||MIN OPENING DEPOSIT||MONTHLY FEE||APY|
|Barclays Online Savings||$0||$0||0.80%|
Barclays offers CDs ranging from three months to five years. There are no monthly fees or minimum deposit amounts. At maturity your CD will automatically renew at the current interest available. The bank will send you an email alert 30 days before your CD matures as a reminder. You have a 14-day grace period to withdraw or add funds without penalty.
If you withdraw your CD before maturity, there is a penalty. For CD terms under 24 months, the penalty is 90 days simple interest. For terms of 24 months or longer, the penalty is 180 days simple interest. When the penalty is greater than the interest earned, the remaining amount will be deducted from your principal.
|BARCLAYS BANK CD RATES|
Barclays partners with numerous travel and lifestyle brands to issue credit cards offering cash back, rewards, and special promotions.
Airline Credit Cards
- AAdvantage Aviator Business Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
- Frontier Airlines World Mastercard
- Hawaiian Airlines Business Mastercard
- Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard
- JetBlue Business Card
- JetBlue Card
- JetBlue Plus Card
- Miles & More World Elite Mastercard
Hotel Credit Cards
- Choice Privileges Visa Signature Card
- Diamond Resorts World Mastercard
- RCI Elite Rewards Mastercard
- Wyndham Rewards Visa Card
Travel Credit Cards
- Carnival World Mastercard
- Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card
- Priceline Rewards Visa Card
- Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card
Lifestyle Credit Cards
Other Financial Products Offered by Barclays Bank
In addition to savings accounts, CDs, and credit cards, Barclays Bank does not offer any other banking products besides personal loans. However, you cannot apply for a personal loan online. The bank is currently only taking applications from customers who are targeted for these offers.
Barclays Bank Customer Service
For bank accounts, customer service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Telephone customer service is not available on the weekends. You may also send a secure message online or through the mobile app.
There are two mobile apps available, depending upon the type of products you have with Barclays Bank — bank accounts versus credit cards. The deposit mobile app is available for both Apple (3.8 stars, 851 ratings) and Android (1.9 stars, 356 ratings), yet there are fewer than 1,000 downloads for either version.
A mobile app for credit cards is also available and has been rated far more often. You can download it for Apple (2.3 stars, 2,300 ratings) or Android (4.2 stars, 10,171 ratings).
How to Bank With Barclays Bank
As an online bank, the best way to open an account or access your accounts are online or through the bank’s mobile app. Potential customers may find paper applications or links to apply through the co-branded partners of Barclays. For example, you may receive an application for the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard while on an American Airlines flight.
Deposits into your savings account or CD can be made through online transfers from linked banks, remote deposits from the mobile app, or direct deposit. The app also allows you to view history, initiate transactions, and contact customer service.
Barclays Bank is an appealing online bank to earn interest on your savings. It offers competitive interest rates without monthly fees or minimum balance requirements. The bank is best as a complement to your existing bank because Barclays does not offer checking accounts, loans, or other services you’d find at a full-service bank.
The credit cards offered by Barclays can be a good fit for your wallet if its travel and lifestyle partners are appealing to you. A majority of its credit cards offer the ability to earn cash back or rewards on your daily purchases.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of banks. We collected more than 20 data points across more than 80 banks — including products available, interest rates, fees, and accessibility — to ensure that our content helps users make the right decision for their savings and banking needs.
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. "Weekly National Rates and Rate Caps - Weekly Update." Accessed July 9, 2020.
Apple.com. "Barclays US Savings." Accessed July 9, 2020.
Google.com. "Barclays US Savings." Accessed July 9, 2020.
Apple.com. "Barclays US." Accessed July 9, 2020.
Google.com. "Barclays US." Accessed July 9, 2020.