With a presence in more than 40 countries, Barclays is an online consumer and commercial bank offering various financial products—in the U.S., they're particularly big as the servicing bank for a variety of credit cards. Currently, the lender is offering personal loans by mailed invitation only (it'll provide a code you’ll need to fill out an application on the website.
This Barclays personal loan review will highlight what you can expect from this lender, such as rates and terms, to see whether this lender offers the right sort of financing for your needs.
Investopedia is committed to providing our readers with unbiased product recommendations. We may receive compensation when you click on links to products, but this doesn't affect how we rate, review, and rank them.
No fees or prepayment penalites
Ability to change your payment due date
Applications by invitation only
High minimum loan amount
No joint applications
- No fees or prepayment penalties: Unlike many lenders that charge fees or bury notice of them deep within the fine print, Barclays doesn’t charge any origination or late fees for their loans. There are also no penalties if you decide to make extra payments or pay off your loan early.
- Ability to change your payment due date: Borrowers can contact Barclays to alter the monthly deadline for their payments. Doing so can help you keep on top of your bills or make it more convenient if you want to have all your bills due around the same time.
- Prequalification available: After filling out the initial application form, you’ll be able to see your probable loan rate and terms; Barclays offers this after conducting a soft credit inquiry, which doesn't affect your credit score.
- Applications by invitation only: Currently, Barclays only offers personal loans to selected people—individuals whom the lender pre-qualifies, and to whom issues an invitation with a special code. Others need not apply (and cannot).
- High minimum loan amount: Barclays' personal loans start at $5,000.
- No joint applications: The lender only accepts individual applications at this time—no co-signers or co-borrowers are allowed to boost your financials.
Barclays has waived overdraft and other fees for its customers. Borrowers experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 can defer up to two loan payments by submitting a Payment Relief Request in their Barclays account.
Types of Personal Loans Offered by Barclays
Personal loans from Barclays may be used for most common-garden reasons. These include financing a major purchase, paying for a vacation or a wedding, remodeling your home, or consolidating high-interest debt.
Barclays loans range from $5,000 to $35,000. The amounts you may qualify for will depend on factors such as your credit history, income, and debt-to-income ratio.
Barclays exclusively offers fixed-rate loans ranging from 4.99% to 20.99% APR.
The repayment terms for Barclays personal loans are 36, 48 or 60 months.
Credit Score Requirements
If you’re wondering what credit score you'll need to qualify for a Barclays personal loan, the answer is there are no transparent minimum credit requirements. If you've been sent an invite, it's likely you meet the cutoff.
However, as with any lender, the stronger your score, the lower the APR you are likely to get. And you won’t find out what that is until you fill out the online application—the initial prequalification round.
Barclays doesn't charge any fees for their personal loans. This includes origination fees and prepayment penalties. The lender also doesn’t charge late fees. However, you will continue to accrue interest on your loan balance, affecting the total amount you owe.
Time to Receive Funds
Once Barclays approves your loan, it can take "a few business days" to receive your funds. The lender may make a decision on your application within the same day or up to a few days.
Barclays Personal Loan Features
- Initial Soft Credit Inquiry: You can check rates and terms you qualify for using in a prequalification process, which won’t affect your credit score. Only if you proceed with the formal loan application will Barclays conduct a hard credit inquiry. That check may affect your credit score.
- Flexible Repayment Terms: Barclays allows borrowers to change their due date if they’re not happy with the one they've assigned. However, because of the way the interest accrues, the lender cautions that changing the due date may affect the amount you owe each month or even your final loan amount.
Apply for a Barclays Personal Loan
For those who receive an invite to apply for a personal loan from Barclays, here’s what to expect from the online application process. Note: Being invited to apply doesn't guarantee your application will be approved:
- Enter your invite code and last name on the initial application form at the website indicated on your invitation.
- Look over loan offers by reviewing terms and rates the lender has offered you.
- Select the rate and term desired and move onto the full online application.
- Provide personal information required for the full application which includes your name, contact information, employment details, Social Security number, and other related financial information.
- Submit your application after reviewing all details are accurate.
- Provide additional documentation by uploading materials through Barclays’ secure application center. The lender will notify you which documents you’ll need.
Upon loan approval, sign your loan documents electronically and Barclays will disburse the funds in a few business days.
Can I Refinance a Personal Loan With Barclays?
Borrowers won’t be able to refinance their personal loan with Barclays. You can only take out one personal loan at a time.
Is a Barclays Personal Loan the Right Fit?
In between the invitation-only application and the high minimums (you'll have to take out at least $5K), Barclays can seem something of an exclusive club. If so, it could be one well worth joining: This lender offers competitive loan rates and doesn't nickel-and-dime you with fees or penalties. You can get an interest-rate quote within minutes and receive a decision in as little as the same business day, if you submit all necessary documents.
On the other hand, Barclays can be somewhat constraining: Your financing needs must fall between $5,000 and $35,000—not a huge range—and you can't make use of a co-signer to strengthen your application or get the most favorable terms. Clearly, this lender has specific ideas of how much it wants to loan and the sort of client it wants to loan to. All that means, even if you get an invite code in the mail, you might want to shop around.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of personal loan lenders. We collected over 25 data points across more than 50 lenders—including interest rates, fees, loan amounts, and repayment terms—to ensure that our content helps users make the right borrowing decision for their needs.