We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
Business cell phones are a must for professionals, but choosing a cell provider can be challenging because carriers offer many different features and plan prices. Regardless of your decision, it's important to select services that help your employees do their job whether they're at home or on the road.
To make your decision simpler, we analyzed 20 providers. We looked at coverage areas, quality of customer service, and 5G availability. Then we narrowed our selection by comparing features and perks based on specific business use cases.
Best Overall : Verizon
Enjoy business features like a mobile virtual private network (VPN) and go almost anywhere as Verizon networks cover the vast majority of the United States.
Choose from over 85 different smartphones
Unlimited mobile hotspot
Discounted pricing for additional phone lines
International calling is an add-on feature
Unlimited plans are pricey
With an extensive national network, Verizon is the leading wireless provider. It receives top scores for network coverage, speed, and reliability. Verizon's plan and device flexibility, combined with excellent business features, makes it the clear winner in our best overall cell phone provider category.
In over 50 large cities, Verizon offers its 5G mmWave coverage, while its lower-band 5G has wider availability. Features include:
- Unlimited calling and text to U.S., Mexico, and Canada
- Ability to mix and match plans
- Unlimited calling, texting, and data while in Mexico and Canada
- Frequent specials on phones with buy-one-get-one-free offers
- Verizon call filter feature
- Unlimited mobile hotspots, with speeds depending on your plan
- Enhanced security bundle with device management and mobile endpoint security on Pro and Plus plans
Verizon gives extra savings when you add more lines. For example, for one phone line, you'll pay $70 to $95 per month. With five or more lines, the price drops to $30 to $45 per month per line. You can also add international calling for $5 to $10 per month. The following prices reflect a $5-per-month savings for paperless billing and autopay. Verizon business plans consist of:
- Business Unlimited Start: $70 per month for one line or $30 per phone per month for five phones
- Business Unlimited Plus: $80 per month for one line or $35 per phone per month for five phones, 100GB premium network access
- Business Unlimited Pro: $95 per month for one line or $45 per phone per month for five phones, with no throttling.
Best for 5G : T-Mobile
Travel from coast to coast and get 5G services, available in more than 7,500 cities.
Best nationwide coverage for 5G
Discounts for people over 55, veterans, first responders, and more
No contract required
Top plan only available with iPhone
T-Mobile is a well-known cell phone carrier that recently acquired the Sprint network, expanding its coverage area. T-Mobile's 5G coverage includes over 7,500 cities. The company claims its 5G network is bigger than both AT&T and Verizon's 5G networks combined. Strong 5G coverage and plenty of business features make T-Mobile the best choice for 5G.
T-Mobile offers many standard and available features, such as:
- In-flight Wi-Fi included with some plans
- Unlimited talk, text, and data in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
- Unlimited international texts and 5GB of international data
- Free Scam Shield service with enhanced caller ID and call blocking
- DIGITS feature allows you to use up to five numbers on your device, which is perfect for business owners covering multiple phone lines
- Unlimited mobile hotspot data
As is typical, the more lines you buy the less you'll play for each line. One phone line ranges from $60 to $85 per month versus five phone lines for $24 to $40 per line per month. The following T-Mobile plans include a discount for autopay:
- Business Unlimited Select: $60 per month for one phone line or $24 per month per line for five lines plus taxes and fees
- Business Unlimited Advanced: $70 per month for one phone line or $32 per month per line for five lines, and all taxes and fees are included in these prices. This plan adds four in-flight WiFi sessions and raises the amounts of high speed data.
- Business Unlimited Ultimate: $85 per month for one phone line or $46 per month per line for five lines. The price includes all taxes and fees. This plan adds unlimited premium data and unlimited in-flight WiFi sessions.
- Business Unlimited Ultimate+ for iPhone: $85 per month for one phone line and $40 per month for five lines. The price includes all taxes and fees. This plan gives you AppleCare+, Apple Business Essentials, and a higher limit for high speed hotspot data.
Best Prepaid Carrier : Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile offers one of the lowest prices for unlimited nationwide talk and text, with enormous savings on prepaid plans.
You can bring your own device
Excellent coverage via the T-Mobile network
Device compatibility checker
No unlimited international calling plans
Some service inconsistency during peak hours
With many prepaid cell phone plans, you pay more for convenience. However, Mint Mobile offers excellent prices, 5G connections, and plenty of device options. Its standout prepaid packages put Mint Mobile at the top of the pack for the best prepaid carrier.
Mint Mobile is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), meaning it uses T-Mobile networks to provide phone and data services. This network delivers reliable service and 5G access in over 7,500 cities. On Mint Mobile’s excellent prepaid packages, you’ll get features such as:
- Free calls to U.S., Mexico, and Canada
- Complimentary mobile hotspot
- Unlimited talk and text
- Free 3-in-1 SIM card
Mint Mobile offers three, six, and 12-month prepaid plans, based on your data requirements. You can buy up to four plans per order. The following packages don't include taxes and fees and reflect your total for a three-month prepaid plan:
- 4GB: $45
- 10GB: $60
- 15GB: $75
- Unlimited: $90
Best Basic Option : Republic Wireless
If you need to buy phones for your remote or on-site staff, Republic Wireless provides the basics for a low price.
30-day money-back guarantee
Not a good option for international use
Republic Wireless, owned by Dish, is an MVNO that runs on the reliable and nationwide T-Mobile wireless network. The plans are best for those looking to save money without a lot of extra features. With Republic Wireless, your teams can take business calls from anywhere without breaking the bank, which is why it's the best basic option.
This phone carrier keeps its prices low by offering a basic service that includes WiFi calling without a lot of bells and whistles. Two of their three plans have unlimited data. The cheapest plan includes 1GB of data, but only charges $5 per GB after that. All plans come with essential features such as:
- Unlimited talk and text with all plans
- WiFi calling capability
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Republic Wireless offers three different plans. Two them come with unlimited calling, texting, and data in the U.S. The first one only comes with unlimited texts and calls. Their plans are not the best for international calling or data use. Prices below are for one line. You'll pay less per line if you buy more lines. The following My Choice packages don't include fees or taxes:
- By The Gig: $19.99 per month, unlimited talk and text, 1GB of data included, $5 per GB for additional data
- Unlimited: $29.99 per month, unlimited talk, text, and data, 10GB of mobile hotspot data, unlimited international texting
- Unlimited Plus: $39.99 per month, unlimited talk, text, and data, 20GB mobile hotspot data, unlimited international texting, unlimited calling with Canada and Mexico, 2GB data in Canada and Mexico
Best Value : RedPocket
With plans starting at $2.50 per month and the ability to mix and match your networks, RedPocket is the best deal online.
No contracts or credit checks
Special plans available through eBay
Lowest priced services
No rollover minutes, text, or data
No mobile app
Since 2006 RedPocket has worked out agreements with all major networks to provide nationwide coverage at low prices, making it an excellent choice for business owners needing the best value for their money.
RedPocket is an MVNO that offers coverage using T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon networks. Cell phone services include:
- Free international calls to over 80 countries
- Unlimited text on most plans
- Available mobile hotspots
- Free SIM card
- Free international text messaging except on Verizon networks
- Wi-Fi calling on select phones
RedPocket offers various plans on its website, or you can purchase packages on eBay. All plan prices are actual prices before any current deals, and pricing doesn't include taxes or fees. RedPocket has monthly, annual, and eBay plans, and one special offer plan with limits. The following packages are RedPocket's monthly and annual plans:
- 3GB of 5g: $20 monthly or $180 annually ($15 per month) for unlimited talk, text, and data, plus 3GB of 5g data
- 10GB of 5g: $30 monthly or $270 annually ($22.50 per month) for unlimited talk, text, and data, plus 10GB of 5g data
- 25GB of 5g: $40 monthly or $360 annually ($30 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data, plus 25GB of 5g data
- 100GB of 5g: $50 monthly or $450 annually ($37.50 per month) for unlimited talk, text, and data, plus 100GB of 5g data
The following plans are available through eBay:
- Phone Plan: 200 minutes, 1,000 texts, and 200MB of the highest speeds for $2.50 per month
- Basic Plan: 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500MB of the highest speeds for $5.00 per month
- Essentials Plan: 1,000 minutes, unlimited texts, and 1GB of the highest speeds for $8.25 per month
There is also a plan from RedPocket called "special offer" that includes 500 minutes, 500 text, and 500MB of high speed data for $10 per month.
Best for International Use : Google Fi
Use your Google Fi service with data and text while visiting more than 200 countries.
Available 100GB cloud storage
Works best on Google Pixels as well as select Samsung and Moto phones
Flexible plan is more expensive if you use a lot of data
Google Fi is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Sprint networks. With Google phones or compatible third-party devices, you can seamlessly switch between networks to ensure you have coverage everywhere.
Business travelers appreciate features like:
- Unlimited calls and texts
- Free international texting
- Data works in other countries
- Free calls to over 50 countries and territories on one plan
- Calls are 20 cents per minute when traveling outside of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
With Google Fi, you can choose between three plans. Prices drop when you add more users, but pricing doesn't include taxes or fees. Google Fi packages include:
- Flexible: $20 per month for one phone or $16 per month per phone for five phones, plus $10 per 1GB of data both internationally and in the U.S.
- Simply Unlimited: $60 per month for one phone or $30 per month per phone for five phones for unlimited data only in the U.S. However, no service (no data, texts, or calls) when traveling outside the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
- Unlimited: $70 per month for one phone or $45 per month per phone for five phones for unlimited data including international data, free international calling to over 50 countries and territories, and a Google One membership that includes 100GB of cloud storage that you can share with up to five family members
Best for Customizing Plans : US Mobile
Save money and only pay for what you use with custom plans from US Mobile.
20% student discount
10-day risk-free trial
Relatively limited phone selection
Fewer features than top carriers
No discount on multiple lines for businesses
US Mobile is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile and Verizon networks, making it a reliable cell phone provider. But the real appeal of US Mobile is how you can create plans that fit each of your employees. US Mobile is the only carrier offering personalized packages, making it the best choice for customization.
Use the US Mobile tool to design your order based on minutes, text, and data needs. Standard features on unlimited plans include:
- Unlimited talk and text
- Free perks like audio and video streaming services
- Unlimited international calling
- Up to 10GB of international roaming data
You'll find tons of variety in plans, from a single phone to group packages. US Mobile offers many packages, a few examples are:
- 1GB data plan with unlimited minutes and text for $12
- 5GB data plan with unlimited minutes and text for $15
- 12GB data plan with unlimited minutes and text for $20
However, the standout packages are the build-your-own plans. Simply select the amount of data, minutes, and text you want, then tally up your total. À la carte options include:
- Add zero, 75, 150, 300, 500, 1,000, or unlimited minutes with prices ranging from $0 to $8 per month
- Add zero, 50, 100, 300, 1,000, 2,000, or unlimited texts with costs ranging from $0 to $6 per month
- Add zero, 50MB, 100MB, 500MB, 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, or 15GB of data with prices ranging from $0 to $26 per month
Best for Phone and Internet : Xfinity Mobile
Bundle high-speed internet and your choice of mix-and-match phone plans to get top speeds at low prices.
Great selection of cell phones
One of the lowest prices for unlimited services
Free SIM card if you bring your own phone
Bring your own device compatible options are limited
Can only buy up to 10 lines per account
Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon network and Xfinity hotspots to deliver stable and fast cell service. It comes bundled with Comcast's Xfinity internet services, a top internet service provider (ISP) available from coast to coast. Xfinity Mobile's affordable pricing and robust internet services make it the best choice for phone and internet.
Cell phone plans offer available features such as:
- Unlimited data, calls, and text
- Personal hotspots
- LTE data savers help reduce data consumption
- Competitive rates when calling in other countries
- Verizon network offers 5G network access
With Xfinity Mobile, you can mix and match plans to give each employee what they need to do their job. With the following programs, your data is sharable. You can add extra data for $15 per 1GB or unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada for $10 per month. The Xfinity Mobile plans below don't include fees or taxes:
- By the Gig—Shared Data: $15 per month for 1GB, $30 per month for 3GB, and $60 per month for 10GB, includes high-definition streaming
- Unlimited—Per Line Data: $45 per month for unlimited data and standard-quality video streaming
Xfinity internet services and prices are based on your location.
Although the major carriers offer similar prices and features, not all services will work in your area. You can save money with an MVNO, but you still need to check which network it uses. While basic plans offer pay-as-you-use service, others include exclusive perks. With prices ranging from $2.50 to $95 per month, it's vital to consider coverage and features while considering how you and your employees use the phone.
Verizon's advanced security bundle with mobile endpoint security and device management, combined with a VPN, make it a fantastic option for small businesses. You can mix and match plans based on your usage and you'll save money when you add more lines. Verizon also offers frequent deals on cell phones so that you can equip your crew with their choice of more than 85 phones.
|Best Cell Phone Providers|
|Phone Carrier||Why We Picked It||Top Features|
|Verizon||Best Overall||Well-rounded plans with business features and nationwide coverage|
|T-Mobile||Best for 5G||Offers coast to coast 5GB across 7,500 cities|
|Mint Mobile||Best Prepaid Carrier||Choose between three, six , and 12-month prepaid plans at affordable rates|
|Republic Wireless||Best Basic Option||Offers the lowest price per 1GB of data and affordable talk and text plans|
|RedPocket||Best Value||Save money when choosing from plans that range from $2.50 to $50 per month|
|Google Fi||Best for International Use||Visit more than 200 countries and use your data and text plan|
|US Mobile||Best for Customizing Plans||Build your own plan with a custom number of minutes, texts, and data|
|Xfinity Mobile||Best for Phone and Internet||Bundle your internet and cell phone with packages starting at $45 for one line or $30 for two lines|
What Is a Cell Phone Provider?
A cell phone provider, also called a mobile service provider (MSP), is a business that offers mobile phone services like data, text, and calling. It transmits your calls using a network of towers instead of the copper wires used for landlines.
How Can I Get the Best Coverage?
Get the best coverage by looking at a map or using an online tool to see which towers are near you. All providers use phone lines owned by the major MSPs. Recently, T-Mobile purchased Sprint, which may extend its coverage further. Below is the estimated amount of coverage in the United States per company:
- 70% Verizon
- 68% AT&T
- 62% T-Mobile
- 30% Sprint
If you're in a major city, then there's a good chance most cell services will deliver the highest speeds. However, coverage drops outside metro areas. 5G is new and not available in most non-urban regions. For super-fast 5G speeds, here's how the networks compare:
- T-Mobile: Offers the most extensive coverage, with 5G services available to an estimated 65% of customers
- AT&T: Coverage is spotty and not available in all states, but the company says over 250 million people can access it
- Verizon: Ultra wideband available in 55 cities, and nationwide 5G is available around the major cities
Can I Port a Landline to a Cell Phone?
Yes, according to the Local Number Portability act, all landline and wireless providers must give customers the option of porting eligible phone numbers. Several factors determine your eligibility, including geography and service area coverage. You can use a free online tool or check with your landline provider to see if your number is eligible.
What Does a Cell Phone Plan Cost?
Cell phone plans offer packages to fit all budgets. Many providers offer discounts for multi-line plans. You can also find great deals when buying phones or annual plans, with hundreds of dollars in savings.
For unlimited text, calling, and data plans, prices range from $45 to $95 per phone per month. Or select basic talk and text plans, starting at $2.50 per month per phone. With most packages, you can add data with 1GB costing $5 to $15. Several carriers charge according to data amounts:
- 1GB: $10 to $20 per month
- 3GB: $14.17 to $45 per month
- 8GB: $17.08 to $60 per month
- 10GB: $30 to $60 per month
Most services don't include taxes and fees in plan costs. You may not know what your total bill will cost until it arrives. According to the Tax Foundation, "Taxes, fees, and government surcharges on wireless consumers increased again in 2020, jumping from 21.7% to 22.6% of a customer's bill." Depending on where you live, you may pay 911 fees, state universal service fund charges, or taxes to your local government.
How We Chose the Best Cell Phone Providers
We reviewed 20 different mobile service providers and mobile virtual network operators to uncover leaders in categories critical to small business owners. During our research, we discovered service perks or special features that made individual companies stand out. However, we also analyzed pricing structures, customer service reviews, and overall quality. Since MVNO's rely on three phone networks for service quality, we also explored the best options based on coverage areas.