The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of Cabela's CLUB Mastercard
Rewarding for Black and Silver CLUB status members
Extra points on selected purchases
Access to exclusive hunting and fishing events
Redemption is limited to purchases.
Higher annual spend required to reach Silver and Black status
Different APRs apply to different purchases.
- Rewarding for Black and Silver CLUB Status Members: The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard offers rewards on every purchase, but it's most rewarding for Black and Silver level members and less so for Classic members. Black level members, for example, can earn 5 points per dollar, the equivalent of earning 5% back.
- Exclusive Discounts: In addition to earning regular base points as a CLUB member, you get access to certain members-only offers you get for being a Cabela's CLUB Mastercard user.
- Access to Exclusive Hunting and Fishing Events: As a Black or Silver CLUB member, you can reserve special hunting and fishing outings with your card. For example, you could book a trip to fish for tarpon in Costa Rica or fish in the Amazon.
- Redemption Is Limited to Purchases: While you can potentially earn a lot of points with this card, you have just one option for using them. Points can be redeemed only for purchases at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's, with 100 points equaling one dollar.
- Higher Annual Spend Required to Reach Silver and Black Status: Achieving Silver and Black status can unlock additional benefits with the Cabela's CLUB Mastercard. To do that, however, you'll need to make $10,000 or $25,000 in purchases respectively each year.
- Different APRs Apply to Different Purchases: Most credit cards have an APR range that applies to all purchases, except when they're subject to a promotional rate. The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard has one APR for Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops purchases and a second APR range for all other purchases. Unless you're paying in full each month, that could make it a little confusing to keep track of how much interest you're being charged.
This Card is Best For
Resists or refuses an annual fee on principle or due to cost
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
This card could be suited to someone who spends regularly at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops and wants to earn rewards they can use at those stores and their affiliates. If you spend more than $10,000 or $25,000 at those stores annually, you also unlock Silver and Black level member benefits, including access to unique hunting and fishing trips.
Cabela's CLUB Mastercard Bonus
This card doesn't offer the typical one-time offer. In other words, you won't earn a large number of points or cash back for meeting a minimum spending requirement.
What you do get is up to $60 in CLUB Points: $20 in CLUB points upon approval, $20 in CLUB points after making 2 purchases at a Bass Pro Shop or Baela's within 30 days of approval, then earn an extra $20 in points after 5 purchases anywhere else Mastercard is accepted within 30 days of account approval. You can also earn free gear.
Rewards Earning Details
The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard rewards structure is tiered, with different levels of membership earning different rates of points. Here's an overview of how that works:
- CLUB Black members ($25,000 minimum annual spend): 5 points per dollar at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and their affiliates
- CLUB Silver members ($10,000 minimum annual spend): 3 points per dollar at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and their affiliates
- CLUB Classic members (no minimum annual spend): 2 points per dollar at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and their affiliates
- 2 points per dollar at participating Cenex locations
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
When you become a CLUB cardholder, it's at the Classic level. You'll have to hit the minimum spending targets to attain Silver or Black status.
The list of affiliates where you can earn 2, 3, or 5 points per dollar includes:
- Blue Fin Lounge
- Big Cedar Golf
- Big Cedar Lodge
- Big Cypress Lodge
- Buffalo Ridge
- Dogwood Canyon Nature Park
- Hemingway's Blue Water Cafe
- Islamorada Fish Company
- The Lookout at the Pyramid
- Top of the Rock
- Uncle Buck's
- White River Fish Company
- Wonders of Wildlife National Museum & Aquarium
- Zane Grey
Points are unlimited, so the more you spend, the more you can earn. You can also shop the monthly Gear Guide to look for opportunities to earn bonus points on selected items.
Rewards Redemption Details
Points earned with the Cabela's CLUB Mastercard can be redeemed for purchases at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. There's no minimum number of points required to redeem, and your points don't expire.
Every 100 points you redeem is equal to one dollar, making them worth one cent each. So 5,000 points would be worth $50, 10,000 points would be equal to $100, and so on.
That's not bad for a retail store-branded credit card. The downside is that you can't redeem points for cash or apply them as a statement credit against purchases.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
Because redemption options are so limited, maximizing your rewards is mainly about how you spend with this card. Here are two examples of how spending can add up, in terms of points earned.
Say you spend $8,000 per year with your card, which makes you a CLUB Classic level member. Of that total, $6,000 in purchases are made at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's, earning you 12,000 points. The remaining $2,000 is miscellaneous spending, earning you 2,000 points. At a redemption rate of 100 points equaling $1, you'd have $140 in rewards to apply to Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's purchases.
Now, assume you accelerate your spending and reach Black level membership in Cabela's CLUB. You spend $25,000 at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and its affiliates, earning 125,000 points in the process. That’s obviously a lot to spend with one retailer but it’s certainly possible if you’re heavily into hunting, shooting sports, and fishing with all the high-end gear involved. Then assume you also charge another $5,000 in miscellaneous purchases to earn 5,000 points. Together, the 130,000 in points you accumulate translates into $1,300 in rewards that you can use for future Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's purchases.
With either case, you could increase your points earnings more by taking advantage of special bonus points offers.
- Access to special sales and rebates
- Deferred interest financing option
- Price protection
In J.D. Power's 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, Capital One ranked third out of 11 issuers.
You can manage your account online or from your mobile device. Customer service is readily available by phone.
This card has standard security features, including chip technology and zero fraud liability. ID theft protection is also included as a card benefit.
Fees to Watch out For
There are no real surprise fees with this card, but you should consider the balance transfer fee if you're planning a transfer. There is also a cash advance fee.
The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard might be a good choice if you regularly shop with Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. It may be best suited to bigger spenders who charge enough in purchases to qualify for Silver or Black status, since you earn more points at those tiers. You'll also need a club membership to unlock the special adventures benefit.
On the downside, while the points value is solid, being able to use points only at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops could be a drawback if you'd like to be able to redeem them in other ways.
As with any credit card, consider the APR as well. You'll get a lower APR for Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's purchases vs. those made anywhere else, but if you run a balance on the account you’ll still be paying interest. So this card may be best for people who plan to pay in full each month.