The Carnival® World Mastercard® is not one of our top rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of Carnival World Mastercard
Bonus is awarded after making a purchase or balance transfer
10% statement credit for select Carnival shore excursion purchases
Introductory 0% APR for 15 billing cycles on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening
Promotional 0% APR for six months on Carnival cruise bookings
Must redeem points on large Carnival purchases to get higher redemption value
Points earning rates are low
Redeeming FunPoints for non-cruise-related expenses results in a lower value
- Bonus Requires only a Modest Spending Requirement: Earn 20,000 FunPoints® after your first purchase or balance transfer. That’s enough to redeem for a $200 statement credit toward your next cruise.
- 10% Statement Credit for Select Carnival Shore Excursion Purchases: Purchases of shore excursions on Carnival.com prior to your cruise qualify for a 10% discount on the shore excursion package before taxes and fees. The 10% discount shows up on the same statement as your shore excursion purchase. Shore excursions booked elsewhere or through third-party companies do not qualify.
- Introductory 0% APR for Balance Transfers, with the Ability to Earn Points: This card offers an introductory 0% APR on balance transfers for 15 billing cycles as long as the transfers are made within 45 days of account opening. You do have to pay a balance transfer fee of $5 or 5% of the amount transferred, whichever is greater.
- Promotional 0% APR for Six Months on Carnival Cruise Bookings: The Carnival World Mastercard offers a 0% promotional APR on Carnival cruise bookings for six months. This can help you pay for your cruise interest-free as long as you pay the balance off before the introductory period expires.
- Must Redeem Points on Large Carnival Purchases to Get Higher Redemption Value: In order to get the most value out of your FunPoints, you must redeem them for a statement credit on Carnival purchases of $1,500 to $5,000. This results in a 1.5 cents per FunPoint value. While it isn't difficult to spend at least $1,500 on a cruise, many people make payments on their cruise over time. If your payment isn’t at least $1,500, you won’t qualify for the higher redemption rate.
- Points Earning Rates Are Low: Earn 2X FunPoints® for every dollar spent on any purchases with Carnival Cruise Line AND with the brands of the World’s Leading Cruise Lines.℠ Earn 1X FunPoints® for every dollar spent on all other purchases. A 2% cash back credit card or a credit card that earns bonus points in the categories where you spend the most money would likely provide more rewards.
- Redeeming FunPoints for Non-cruise-related Expenses Results in a Lower Value: If you don’t redeem your FunPoints for a cruise on Carnival Cruise Line or World’s Leading Cruise Lines, your FunPoints will likely be worth less than a penny each. Combine this with the low points earning rates on this card and it isn’t hard to see how other credit cards can provide more value.
This Card is Best For
Resists or refuses an annual fee on principle or due to cost
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
This card is for Carnival Cruise Line fans who have to have a Carnival credit card in their wallet. The card’s points earning rates are low and it offers bonus points only on cruise-related purchases. A simple 2% cash back credit card could provide an equal or greater value, while offering more flexibility in redeeming your rewards. The exception is if you redeem the points you earn from qualifying cruise purchases for a Carnival cruise purchase of $1,500 or more. In this rare case, you’d get a 3% value from your purchases.
Carnival World Mastercard's Bonus
Earn 20,000 FunPoints® after your first purchase or balance transfer. That’s enough to redeem for a $200 statement credit toward your next cruise.
The bonuses are intended for people who don’t currently have and have not previously had a Carnival Mastercard. If you receive a bonus you aren’t eligible for, Barclays U.S. may revoke the bonus or charge your account for the fair value of the bonus.
Rewards Earning Details
Earn 2X FunPoints® for every dollar spent on any purchases with Carnival Cruise Line AND with the brands of the World’s Leading Cruise Lines.℠ Earn 1X FunPoints® for every dollar spent on all other purchases.
There aren’t any limits to the number of FunPoints you can earn and they don’t expire. However, the program must continue and your credit card account must be open, active, and in good standing. You cannot earn or redeem FunPoints during billing cycles where you fail to make the minimum payment due by the due date, your account becomes delinquent, or you are otherwise in default. You may forfeit your points if your account becomes seriously delinquent, you are in default, or your account is closed for any reason.
Rewards Redemption Details
You can redeem your FunPoints in many ways, but the highest value option is redeeming them for a statement credit for Carnival transactions of $1,500 up to $5,000. This option values your points at 1.5 cents per point. You can also redeem your FunPoints for a statement credit on Carnival purchases of $50 up to $1,499.99 as well as World’s Leading Cruise Line transactions at a 1 cent per point value. The minimum redemption option for statement credits is $50 and the maximum is $5,000 with $50 increments in between.
Other options include airline or hotel statement credits, onboard amenities, gift cards starting at a value of roughly 0.76 cents per point, and merchandise and travel redemptions through Loyalty Edge at varying rates.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
To maximize your rewards, make sure you put all your Carnival Cruise Line and World’s Leading Cruise Lines purchases on the card to earn 2 FunPoints per dollar.
Earn 20,000 FunPoints® after your first purchase or balance transfer. That’s enough to redeem for a $200 statement credit toward your next cruise. Once you have enough points to redeem for at least a $50 statement credit, redeem your points on a Carnival Cruise Line purchase of $1,500 to $5,000 to receive the higher 1.5 cents per FunPoint redemption rate.
- Discount on some shore excursions, via a 10% statement credit
- No foreign transaction fee on international purchases
Barclays US, which issues the Carnival World Mastercard, received a score of 792 out of 1,000 in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. This score is below average and they ranked seventh out of 11 card issuers.
Barclays US offers FICO score access for accounts that are open and in good standing, activity may be required too. If you have questions about your account, you can call 866-928-8598 or the number on the back of your card. Barclays U.S. also has a mobile app. Once logged in to your online banking account, you can also send a secure message.
The Carnival World Mastercard has the standard security features you’d expect from a credit card. Additionally, it offers chip-and-PIN functionality, which can be useful in cruise ports that have unattended terminals that only accept such transactions. You can also temporarily lock or unlock your card for any reason.
Fees to Watch Out For
The fees on this credit card are fairly standard. On the plus side, it has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. However, it does charge for balance transfers, even during the promotional period—$5 or 5% of the amount, whichever is greater. Some other cards have introductory offers with no balance transfer fees.
The Carnival World Mastercard can provide a little bit of value to loyal Carnival Cruise Line customers who put their cruise purchases on the card and then redeem their FunPoints for Carnival Cruise Line purchases of $1,500 to $5,000. Otherwise, you could earn more flexible rewards with a 2% cash back credit card or one with higher bonus levels in particular spending categories.