The Disney Premier Visa Card The is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of Disney Premier Visa
Special financing on Disney vacations
One-time statement credit
Enhanced rewards on common card purchases
Savings on select Disney purchases
Foreign transaction fee
No balance transfer offer
- Special Financing on Disney Vacations: The Disney Premier Visa credit card offers special financing on select Disney vacation packages. There’s a 0% APR for six months from the date of purchase. This provides cardholders time to pay off the Disney vacation in a manageable way.
- One-Time Statement Credit: After spending $500 in the first three months of having a Disney Premier Visa card, a cardholder can receive a one-time statement credit of $250. In order to qualify, you must not already have the Disney Premier Visa, and you can’t have received a bonus for this card within the last 24 months.
- Enhanced Rewards on Common Card Purchases: The Disney Premier Visa card offers tiered rewards. There are higher rewards earnings for card purchases made at gas stations, restaurants and grocery stores, as well as when making certain purchases at most Disney locations. Receive 2% back in the form of Disney Rewards Dollars for these purchases. All other purchases on the card receive 1% back in Disney Rewards Dollars.
- Savings on Select Disney Purchases: In addition to enhanced earnings, the Disney Premier Visa can provide 10% savings on certain purchases made at the Disney store and shopDisney.com. It’s also possible to save 10% off on certain purchases made at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Annual Fee: The Disney Premier Visa credit card comes with an annual fee of $49. However, depending on how the card is used, an annual fee might be justified by the rewards received.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: This card has a 3% foreign transaction fee. As a result, you’ll pay this fee if you use your Disney Premier Visa card at Disney themed resorts in other countries, as well as for other purchases made overseas.
- No Balance Transfer Offer: While there is a promotional 0% APR for certain Disney vacation purchases, there is no 0% APR balance transfer offer with this card. All balance transfers have an APR at the regular purchase rate.
This Card is Best For
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
Dines out regularly while traveling or in home city
Primarily responsible for household grocery and other major purchases
Incurs gasoline or other commuting expenses each month
The Disney Premier Visa credit card is best for those who plan to use it for Disney vacations. For those loyal to Disney, and who spend time vacationing in Disney resorts, this card can be a decent choice. The special financing for certain Disney vacation packages can help make paying for a vacation more manageable. Plus, the fact that Disney Rewards Dollars can be redeemed for a statement credit for airline travel makes it possible to use the Disney Premier Visa to plan various aspects of a Disney trip. For those who like buying Disney and Star Wars merchandise, the discount on select purchases can also be a draw.
For those that want to use a card specifically for helping them make Disney vacations more of a reality, the Disney Premier Visa might be a good choice in helping them reach their goals.
Disney Premier Visa’s One-Time Offer
The Disney Premier Visa offers a one-time statement credit of $250 after the new cardholder spends at least $500 in the first three months of opening. This compares favorably with the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card, which offers a bonus for new cardholders that is worth up to $350. (However, the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card has no annual fee.)
Rewards Earning Details
Rewards are earned in Disney Rewards Dollars. This is a tiered rewards program, which allows you to earn 2% of the purchase price in Disney Rewards Dollars when used at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and at most Disney locations. This enhanced earning on regular purchases can be one way to earn Disney Rewards Dollars faster.
Rewards Redemption Details
Disney Rewards Dollars can be redeemed at Disney locations in the United States. In order to redeem your Disney Rewards Dollars at Disney parks and with the Disney Cruise Line, you need to first order a Disney Rewards Redemption card. You can transfer your earned Disney Rewards Dollars to your Redemption card and then use that card at eligible Disney locations to pay for purchases.
It’s also possible to redeem Disney Rewards Dollars for a statement credit related to airline purchases. In this case, rather than moving the rewards to the Disney Rewards Redemption Card, they are redeemed directly with Chase for the purpose of a statement credit on airline purchases made with the Disney Premier Visa.
Finally, cardholders can redeem their Disney Rewards Dollars with AMC Theatres to purchase tickets for Disney, Disney-Pixar, or Star Wars movies. The Rewards Dollars need to be transferred to the Disney Rewards Redemption card and that must be selected as the payment method when buying those movie tickets.
There aren’t many transfer opportunities with the Disney Premier Visa, since the rewards are meant to be used with Disney properties. The closest is the ability to redeem Disney Rewards Dollars for statement credit related to airline purchases. If you make an airline purchase with the Disney Premier Visa, you can manage your rewards in your Chase account and use your Disney Rewards Dollars to get a statement credit for the airline purchase.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
The best way to maximize rewards from the Disney Premier Visa is to focus on earning for Disney-related rewards.
By using the Disney Premier Visa for everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurants, it’s possible to earn Disney Rewards Dollars a little bit faster. For example, the average consumer spent $4,643 on groceries in 2019 and $3,526 on food away from home, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Additionally, the average consumer spent $2,094 on gas in 2019. All of those purchases could potentially add up to 2% in Disney Rewards Dollars—amounting to about $205.26 in rewards.
Earning 1% in Disney Rewards Dollars on other purchases would only increase the rewards amount received as a result of using the Disney Premier Visa for all purchases.
When used in conjunction with the special 0% APR financing on select Disney vacations for six months, it’s possible to use the rewards for statement credit on the airfare used to get to the Disney property. In order to avoid interest charges, though, it’s important to pay off the amount of the Disney vacation within the promotional period.
Disney Premier Visa’s Outstanding Benefits
- Credit card purchase protection
- Extended warranty protection
- Baggage delay insurance
- 0% APR promotion financing on certain Disney vacations
- $0 fraud liability
- Emergency card replacement
The Disney Premier Visa credit card is issued by Chase. Chase has received a consumer rating of 809 out of 1,000 points in the 2020 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study from J.D. Power. This rating is slightly lower than the national credit card issuer average of 810.
Chase also has a mobile banking app available for iOS and Android. The mobile app gets a rating of 4.8 stars out of 5 in the Apple App Store and 4.4 stars out of 5 on Google Play.
Most of the security features from this card are related to what Visa offers. It’s possible to request a replacement card from Visa and receive an emergency card within three business days in some cases. Additionally, Visa offers $0 liability on fraudulent purchases made with this card.
The Disney Premier Visa can be a good card for those who are interested in using their rewards primarily for redemption related to Disney properties. Rewards can be earned and then put toward Disney vacations, Disney movies and other purchases. Additionally, it’s possible to redeem rewards for statement credit on airlines. The 0% promotional financing for select Disney vacations can be a benefit as well, for those who want to make manageable payments and then use their rewards toward airline statement credits.
For those looking for more flexible rewards, the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card offers cash back earnings in similar categories, as well as no annual fee.