Insurance Expert, Consumer Federation of America
Los Angeles, California
University of Southern California, University of California, Berkeley
• Member of the Investopedia Financial Review Board
• Insurance expert for the Consumer Federation of America and other non-profit consumer organizations
• Member of the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance
• Member of the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan (appointed by California Insurance Commissioner)
• Member of the Executive Committee of the Coalition Against Insurance Fraud
Doug Heller is a nationally recognized insurance expert whose knowledge has served federal, state, and nonprofit insurance boards. As an insurance expert for the Consumer Federation of America, Doug has testified before a congressional committee regarding auto insurers' pricing practices and has authored reports, op-eds, and articles about property-casualty insurance.
Doug's vast knowledge of auto insurance led to his appointment to the board of the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan, a position through which he helps oversee the state's low-cost auto insurance program.
As the executive director of consumer advocacy group Consumer Watchdog, Doug battled against unfair auto insurance practices. His advocacy on behalf of insurance customers has led to consumers saving hundreds of millions of dollars on insurance premiums.
In all, Doug has more than two decades of experience working in consumer advocacy and insurance.
Douglas Heller earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley. He graduated Summa Cum Laude and received highest honors in political science. He holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) with an emphasis on public management from the University of Southern California. There he was awarded the Sol Price School of Public Policy Dean’s Certificate of Merit in Recognition of Excellence in Academics.
Quote from Doug Heller
"Neither problems nor puzzles yield often to the first attack." T.S. Kuhn